[Solved] Mac Mini 2012 - Windows 1803 - AGB1070: No Detection Help  

of  2
  RSS

ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Hello all,

Firstly thank you for your help.

I'll start with the fact that the mac side of things is working perfectly! 

However I am having trouble with bootcamp, I have a Mac Mini 2012 with AGB 1070 (Apple TB3>TB1/2) and a fresh EFI install of windows 1803 ( 2 x 256GB SSD in the mini - 1 x OSX & 1 x Bootcamp) . I have tried plugging the AGB in at various points from boot selection at which point it doesn't even boot (Black screen on HDMI) to all points through the boot sequence and I cannot get the AGB to appear in device manager. I tried to install a boot delayer however apparently that doesn't work with EFI?  

Can anyone think of anything I have missed to get this working in bootcamp? 

2019 Razer Blade Stealth GTX1650 Win10
Aorus Gaming Box RTX 2070
Asus XG Station Pro (RX570 8GB + RTX 2080)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@iculikemac What's the specs of your 2012 Mac mini?

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

@itsage  Thanks for your help. I've attached a screenshot of the specs, plus there are 2 x 256GB SSDs.

Mac Mini

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Also forgot to mention I have:

- Installed intel's thunderbolt update as mentioned in your other posts and there are no devices showing up.
- DDU Uninstalled Intel Drivers
- EFI USB boot

Interestingly when I go to windows up nvidia driver downloads?? 

Thanks again for your advise.

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Update @itsage and all.

So I have removed the hybrid MBR partition (Legacy BIOS) and reformatted to a GPT partition and reinstalled windows to achieve a UEFI boot BIOS as written here:  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2012-13-macbook-pro-non-retina-superdrive-gtx78010gbps-tb1-sonnet-egfx-350-via-tb3-tb2-adapter-macos-win10-xignalio/.  

I then installed thunderbolt drivers and unfortunately no luck, still not getting detected! 

As always grateful for any advise/tips.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@iculikemac I'm not sure why Windows doesn't detect the Thunderbolt enclosure. One thing I'd recommend trying next is to install Windows via Boot Camp Assistance utility. You can temporarily partition the macOS drive to test.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@iculikemac  , @mac_editor had a similar issue with Nvidia cards refusing to appear on a GT750M 15" MBP when used on a TB3 enclosure via a TB3->TB2 adapter. We thought it may be a Nvidia dGPU vs eGPU issue but it may be a firmware issue. non-retina GT650M 15" 2012 MBP owners experiencing the same problem.

Regardless see if these help to get eGPU detection in Windows:

1. Try booting your UEFI Windows using yifanlu's Clover prepared on a USB stick. Clover is an alternative UEFI framework that may reset some system parameters that the Apple  may have set blocking detection. You may need to disable the SpoofOSX parameter in the supplied config.plist, or at least see if disabling/enabling it helps.

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/app-clover-with-apple_set_os-efi-built-in/

2. Hide the Nvidia eGPU from the Apple firmware via a simulated PERST# delay by *carefully* hotplugging the video card into the powered enclosure at some point after the Apple firmware has initialized:

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/mbp-egpu-detection-issues/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ICULikeMac and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
wittmason
(@wittmason)

Posted by: ICULikeMac

Hello all,

Firstly thank you for your help.

I'll start with the fact that the mac side of things is working perfectly! 

However I am having trouble with bootcamp, I have a Mac Mini 2012 with AGB 1070 (Apple TB3>TB1/2) and a fresh EFI install of windows 1803 ( 2 x 256GB SSD in the mini - 1 x OSX & 1 x Bootcamp) . I have tried plugging the AGB in at various points from boot selection at which point it doesn't even boot (Black screen on HDMI) to all points through the boot sequence and I cannot get the AGB to appear in device manager. I tried to install a boot delayer however apparently that doesn't work with EFI?  

Can anyone think of anything I have missed to get this working in bootcamp? 

I too am having this exact same issue. Win goes to black screen (and in my case never comes back).

Hardware
2017 MBP Touchbar
Mantiz Venus
Internal 960bg SSD
Sapphire Radeon RX 580

Software
Brand new fresh install of Mac OS 10.13.4, Win ver 1803 fresh Bootcamp install

Plug in the eGPU and hear some noises but the screen goers black. In fact after this my Bootcamp was rendered almost use less because it would boot to the black screen from then on.

I post all this to say you're not alone.

2019 MacBook Pro 16" + Mantiz Venus + RX 580

ReplyQuote
kingbri
(@kingbri)
Eminent Member

This happened to me. Here are my specs: Sonnet Breakaway Box 350, Nvidia gtx1060 6gb OC, connected via TB3 to TB2 adapter to my mid 2012 mbp (no dgpu). Here's what I did with an EFI install

1. Install bootcamp and rEFInd (for force-running igpu)
2. Run without egpu
3. Install support software
4. Reboot
5. Use DDU to remove drivers
6. Reboot
7. With HD graphics (dgpu, if there) removed, plug in your egpu and reboot
8. You should now see your egpu in the device manager = box recognized
9. Install using drivers for your card (amd not working for some reason)
10. Reboot
11. Re-install support software
12. reboot
13. After this, your egpu should be working! 

This is what I did when my computer wouldn't recognize my box and now I am running games at 120 fps over TB1. The reason why you get a black screen is because the computer is confused on what gpu to use. When you remove the drivers for the igpu, the computer understands that the egpu is the way to go when it is plugged in.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
ICULikeMac
(@iculikemac)
Estimable Member

Thank you all for your advice/assistance so far, very much appreciated - still not there but tried quite a few things today!

@itsage I'm just not sure either, I had already tried installing windows through bootcamp utility. This obviously creates a Hybrid MBR drive and is not EFI but a 'Legacy' install. No luck there. So I removed the Hybrid install and installed windows through a USB GPT mounted Windows Media creation tool (Created on my MBP) which gave me a UEFI installation. No luck there either. Now this might be what you meant but while all of this was happening on my other internal SSD (disk0), do you think it would make a difference partitioning the mac one? (disk1)?? I did actually try this today too but wiped the entire mac partition whilst doing so ;(, there certainly is a lot of format issues on the older Macs! 
EDIT: I reinstalled OSX & tried on the same partition and no luck on that either.

@nando4 Thank you for all the suggestions! I managed to get clover working and saw the 'large memory' appear but that was about the only success. Nothing in device manager :(. Also I simply couldn't find the SpoofOSX Parameter anywhere,? What is this anyway? I've attached a photo below. I'm using Xcode to open the plist, is that right?  Re the PERST# trick, it looks very complicated but I'm constantly reading it over to see if I can do it.

My thoughts of the problem: 
I wanted to rule out 1803 as much as I could so I updated it on my MBP15"2017 and plugged the AGB at the same point as what I do on the mini - windows loading dots. Nothing appeared in device manager on my laptop so I plugged it in where I normally do, the boot selection then proceed to boot from the EFI and viola it appears. So this leaves me thinking 1. Its not a windows 1803 problem and 2. I've got to somehow get around not being able to boot with the eGPU attached as this must be when windows loads the thunderbolt port!? If I do boot with the eGPU AGB I just get a black monitor and get no where every time which seems exactly the same as you @wittmason

@kingbri Thanks for your input, unfortunately as above I can't reboot with the eGPU in, it just hangs on a black screen but I guess more importantly it doesn't appear in device manager after using DDU.

Xcode Eg

ReplyQuote
 of  2