Notifications
Clear all

Mac mini 2014 egpu  

of  2
  RSS

CARL0S714
(@carl0s714)

Hello, I just joined. I have a question, now keep in mind I’m new to all this, but I have a Mac mini 2014 with boot camp and I have a razer core x with a gtx970. I have it connected via thunderbolt 2 to a thunderbolt 2 adapter to thunderbolt bolt 3 to the egpu. so far i can confirm (as far as i know) that it’s working. It shows up in device manager and I have downloaded the correct nvidia drivers. My question is how do I get my display to show via the gpu hdmi port instead of using the Mac mini’s hdmi port? when I connect it to my hdmi port on my gpu I don’t get a signal? And one more thing to note/ ask. For some reason I can’t have my egpu on when Im turning on my Mac mini. When I turn it on and turn on my egpu it just goes into a boot loop of sorts. It just keeps restarting. So I turn it off and then it restarts and shows windows repair and it diagnoses and restarts and tells me that some problems occurred and updates and drivers were removed. So in order for my egpu to run I have to wait until I’m logged into windows and I’m on my desktop and then I turn it on and it works. Not that that’s an issue for me just wanted to know your guys thoughts on that. What I’m really looking for is my first question. I believe it’s better to have the display out put from my gpu instead of my Mac that way it’s Mac to tb2 to tb3 to gpu to hdmi to my monitor. Thanks any help or advice will be much appreciated!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Trusted Member

@carl0s714

I am not sure if I understand your points.

First, did you check the Mac Mini 2014 builds?

To get my Mac Mini 2014 running with a NVIDIA graphics card in bootcamp, Windows has to start first and then, after the log-in, I must connect the egpu. Then it takes some seconds and a short interruption until the system works.

HDMI from egpu to the monitor is correct.

Success

This post was modified 2 weeks ago

Now:    2018 Mac Mini (8th,6C,B) + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909
Before: 2014 Mac Mini (4th,2C,U) + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10

2014 Mac Mini [4th,2C,U] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
CARL0S714
(@carl0s714)

Sorry I know that was a bit confusing now reading it back. Haha. How do I get the video signal out of the gpu hdmi? My video signal only comes from the Mac mini hdmi. When I unplug the hdmi from the Mac mini into the egpu I don’t get a signal.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@carl0s714, Did you check on a different machine to verify all monitor output ports are working on the GTX 970?

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
CARL0S714
(@carl0s714)

I don’t have another set up for this exact set up. I have a mbp early 15 I can try it with. Is there a special method I need to follow In order to get the gpu to display? Instead of only getting a display from the Mac mini? I want to bypass the Mac mini hdmi port all together and use the hdmi port on the 970. Let me ask you this. How do I get the Mac mini to use the gtx 970 as its only graphics? 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@carl0s714, You're assuming the GTX 970 is working 100% but the symptoms you're describing indicate there may be a hardware issue if there's no monitor output from the eGPU's HDMI port. Once you can confirm the GTX 970 can work 100% in a different setup, it's hard to troubleshoot.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
CARL0S714
(@carl0s714)

Got you. So let me setup my mbp for boot camp and try it there. Now once I have it set up all I do is plug my hdmi to the monitor to the 970 port and if it displays it would be use that as a separate display in the mbp correct? Give me a few to set up the mbp and I will get back to you. Thanks! 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@carl0s714, You could use the MBP to test. It would be best to test in a Windows desktop to isolate troubleshooting to just the GPU and its monitor output ports.

ReplyQuote
CARL0S714
(@carl0s714)

Okay so I’ve tried it on the mbp and it’s the same thing. I’ve also went ahead and bought another gpu (1060 6gb) and it’s the same thing so this leads me to believe that I am doing it wrong. So once I have everything up and running I don’t think simply disconnecting the hdmi from the Mac mini and using that same hdmi connect it to the gpu is the way. So my question is what is the correct way to get my gpu to display the Mac mini

ReplyQuote
hans-st.
(@hans-st)
Trusted Member

@carl0s714

did you connect the eGPU after the log-in of Windows or is it attached whilst you are booting Windows?

Now:    2018 Mac Mini (8th,6C,B) + RX 570 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1909
Before: 2014 Mac Mini (4th,2C,U) + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (AKiTiO Node Lite) + Win10

2014 Mac Mini [4th,2C,U] + GTX 1050 Ti @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (PowerColor Mini Pro) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  2