mac mini 2018 + Aorus Gaming Box RTX2080 eGPU detection problems

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] mac mini 2018 + Aorus Gaming Box RTX2080 eGPU detection problems  

RSS

tenshi-
(@tenshi)

Hi

bit of a weird issue here, I have been using an Aorus Gaming Box RTX2070 eGPU with no real issues on external-SSD windows 10 installation (1909). The only way to detect it would be to hot plug it during the windows spinning dots boot sequence.

A few months ago, I had accidentally pulled the plug on the macmini and when trying to reboot the card would no longer be detected. Decided to try it on a friend’s Dell XPS13 laptop and it was working as usual.. then when bringing it back home it was just miraculously being detected again...

Fast forward 6 months, we got a sudden dip in power (like a 0.1sec blackout) where the lights of the house flashed, but it was enough to shut down my system. Ever since, I got the same issue... whenever I connect the eGPU on the TB3 I get the windows sound effect for something being connected but I don’t see anything on the device manager.

Is there a way to force detect a thunderbolt3 device in windows? I tried hotplugging it during the usual windows spinning dots boot sequence but nothing. Uninstalled nVidia drivers as well as trying to remove anything else using DDU but it still doesn’t show in device manager. Any ideas...?

Thanks in advance.

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
tenshi-
(@tenshi)

Just reporting that after giving me a proper headache not wanting to co-operate for several hours last night, it just worked in the morning by hotplugging it during the usual windows spinning dots boot sequence. I left the eGPU unplugged (both power and tb3) for a few hours so for whatever reason whatever was upsetting it it doesn’t do so anymore. I guess it doesn’t like having its power abruptly cut... Time to invest in an UPS I think.. 😅

Perhaps if something similar happens to another Aorus Gaming Box user, this could serve as future reference ^^

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
cgWerks
(@cgwerks)
Trusted Member

@tenshi, Oh, absolutely get a UPS! My favorites have been the CyberPower PFC series.

I'm going to have to try this hot-plugging during the Windows spinning dots thing, as nothing else I've tried has worked. (2018 Mac mini w/ Blackmagic eGPU).

2018 Mac mini (i7, 16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) - Blackmagic eGPU (RX580)

ReplyQuote