Mac mini (2018) - Bootcamp - Windows 10 - Razer Core x Chroma - MSI Geforce RTX ...

Notifications
Clear all

Mac mini (2018) - Bootcamp - Windows 10 - Razer Core x Chroma - MSI Geforce RTX 3080  

RSS

Jordy Miggelbrink
(@jordy_miggelbrink)

Hi,

After reading much about this website's topic, I felt ensured to buy the Razer Core X Chroma combined with the MSI Geforce RTX 3080. While I realize the manual I followed is 2 years old, and another GPU is used, I thought it's something that can be solved. 

The Mac mini is having the following setup: MAC MINI SG // PROCESSOR 3.2GHz 6-core Core i7 // MEMORY 64GB 2666MHz DDR4 // STORAGE 1TB SSD // GRAPHICS Intel UHD Graphics 630 // ETHERNET ADAPTER 10GB Ethernet Port

1. Installation of Bootcamp was really an easy step, so everything good;

2. The Razer connected via the Thunderbolt cable was instantly recognized, and installation started perfectly;

But then the GPU isn't recognized within 'Device Manager,' and nothing more than the internal GPU is shown under the header `Display Adapter.`

Please advise because it's driving me nuts :).

Thanks,

Jordy

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jordy_miggelbrink, Are you cold-plugging or hot-plugging the RTX 3080 eGPU?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jordy Miggelbrink
(@jordy_miggelbrink)

@itsage, first of all thanks for your support!

First I’ve tried the cold plugging method by shutting mini and razer off, connecting followed by connecting and switch them both on. 

Later I’ve tried the to use the hot-plugging method and connected the mini with the razer when both switched on.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jordy_miggelbrink, Try hot-plug with different ports once Windows fully loads up.

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Jordy Miggelbrink
(@jordy_miggelbrink)

@itsage, I've started Windows 10 and hot-plugged all ports. Still, is the razer chroma recognized and the GPU inside it not. Is it possible that the razer core x chroma is not recognizing the GPU? I only connected the all available 8 pins, but there are 6 still open...

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jordy_miggelbrink, All PCIe power plugs need to be connected on the card. You can simply separate the 2-in piece on the PCIe power connector from PSU to the empty 6-pin.

ReplyQuote
Jordy Miggelbrink
(@jordy_miggelbrink)

@itsage, I've connected all 8 pins, and nothing happens while all ports being re-enabled again Smile Thanks for your support! Because I need the GPU for work, I've just ordered an MSI Geforce RTX 2070 Super and hope this one works without any problem. Fingers crossed! 

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
Jordy Miggelbrink
(@jordy_miggelbrink)

@eightarmedpet, so finally arrived the splitter for the power. Connected all 24 pins and the RTX3080 was detected by bootcamp windows 10 installation. 

Later this week will I install the cuda tools and will update you if the gpu is used by the Tensorflow code. 

thanks for all your support!

ReplyQuote