Mac mini 2018 razer core x 2060 super not working

Notifications
Clear all

Mac mini 2018 razer core x 2060 super not working  

of  2
  RSS

Alfie Blenkharn
(@alfie_blenkharn)

Hey I followed the only build on here for the rtx 2060 super. I get the card recognized in device manager but it has driver errors when I look at it in the devices settings and I cant see it in graphics settings either. Any help would be appreciated.

edit: Also nvidia control panel wont open and nvidia geforce expierience just says unable to download recommended drivers and wont go to home or anything.

Edit: Took me a long process but for now I have got it working, Nvidia geforce RTX 2060 super (asus dual EVO) recognized by geforce expierience, device manager and graphics settings and all games i've played so far.

I did a lot of things, windows version 1903 did not work, I upgraded to 1903 after trying to get it to run on my original windows bootcamp with lots of mess and clogged up storage and loads of files I didnt use anymore it was a mess, I then upgraded to 1809 or whichever one it is also did not work, I followed this build:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2018-mac-mini-8th6cb-msi-geforce-rtx-2060-super-ventus-oc-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-win10-macos-10-14-6-adonalsium/

I have the same mac, the same enclosure and the same card but different manufacturer.

When I updated from 1903 to 1809, I let windows update to the latest version, I then logged into desktop (NO nvidia drivers installed or anything it was a clean wipe) I uninstalled my integrated intel graphics (changes to microsoft basic display adapter after) and switched on my eGPU, hot plugged it into my mac expecting it to not work. 

And as it goes USB disconnect and reconnect sounds spam a little, I wait for a bit device manager now recognizes my RTX 2060 Super without a yellow triangle icon but nvidia control panel and geforce expierience + graphics settings do not. Manually install geforce rtx 2060 super latest driver it wont install using geforce but the manual install will recognize your card.

Restart the mac unplug the thunderbolt 3 and switch off egpu.

Log into desktop and switch on egpu hot plug thunderbolt 3 it then recognized my card with geforce expierience and also with nvidia control panel + device manager and graphics settings.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Mac Mini late 2018
i7 8700B 6 core 3.20-4.3 ghz
16gb RAM.
Razer core X + ASUS DUAL EVO NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Super

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@alfie_blenkharn Glad to hear you have your eGPU working.

So you’re running the older Windows version 1809?

FYI, if you want to run the current version of Windows, the Intel Mac Mini is definitely the easiest Mac to set up.

Big Sur + Windows 20H2 or 21H1 running in Bootcamp. Great combo on the 2018/2020 Mac Mini

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RX 5500 XT (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.5 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Alfie Blenkharn
(@alfie_blenkharn)

@mini-i5, Yea man i had no idea, the guides on here are a little outdated its MUCH easier now no faffing around with 1903 or 1809 just straight up let windows install the newest update.

No i am running windows 20H2 or 21H1 I just had an update today.

The only thing im having a headache about now is being able to smoothly restart or shutdown and cold plug my EGPU and it all just come on by itself, but ofcourse i get the infinite apple loading symbol if i boot into the apple boot menu with the eGPU plugged in.

I am able to restart the mac i just need to unplug and turn off the eGPU after the mac restarted/switched off boot the mac up again and wait for it to get past the apple boot menu and load windows then log into desktop (Make sure my external hard drive isnt plugged in otherwise it crashes it for some reason and stops my mouse/keyboard USB from working.) and hotplug the thunferbolt 3 cable it will take away control of my mouse USB disconnect and reconnect noises and then my mouse comes back bam gpu fully loaded.

This post was modified 2 months ago

Mac Mini late 2018
16gb RAM.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@alfie_blenkharn

Yeah, that sounds like your Mini still has Catalina-era firmware.

eGPU startup and shutdown in Bootcamp and MacOS is simpler with Big Sur's improved firmware.

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RX 5500 XT (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.5 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Alfie Blenkharn
(@alfie_blenkharn)

@mini-i5, Wait so your saying if i update to big sur i will be able to just boot up to windows like normal with my eGPU.

Mac Mini late 2018
16gb RAM.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@alfie_blenkharn

Yes, you need the much improved Mac Mini firmware which will be installed with Big Sur.

I leave my eGPU connected via TB3 and powered ON every day. I boot back and forth between Windows and MacOS Big Sur without any issues, since I have an AMD card.  

I boot up, shut down, and restart only in Windows 20H2/21H1 some days as well. No problems. 

ReplyQuote
Alfie Blenkharn
(@alfie_blenkharn)

@mini-i5

See i have an NVIDIA card though, apple doesnt support them so i would have to install big sur and then boot back into mac using intel graphics and then boot back up into windows. Unless they made it possible for nvidia cards. Maybe the mac will recognize i have a card just not which one. 

This post was modified 2 months ago

Mac Mini late 2018
16gb RAM.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@alfie_blenkharn, still not possible with Nvidia cards in Big Sur. But my Mini has been more reliable booting into Windows, and shutting down and restarting in Windows 20H2 without the Bootcamp problems inherent in the Catalina firmware. 

You can leave the TB3 cable connected, and power the Core X ON when the Mini is preparing to start the Windows boot up sequence. 

And of course power it OFF when going back into MacOS.

ReplyQuote
Alfie Blenkharn
(@alfie_blenkharn)

@mini-i5, alright, ill have to try it after lunch

Mac Mini late 2018
16gb RAM.

ReplyQuote
Alfie Blenkharn
(@alfie_blenkharn)

@mini-i5, Right i boot up with the razer core X connected and ON and it boots to windows the windows logo comes up but the loading circle doesnt and after 2 seconds it starts flashing green. So i have to boot down turn razer core X off and just connect it the same way i have been doing before. 

To confirm i boot up my mac into windows with razer core X plugged IN but OFF <? correct?
And when the windows logo appears and loading circle < turn ON? correct?

If this is true this is partially what i wanted as i dont want to keep unplugging and plugging in thunderbolt 3 cables.

My only issue now is do i leave the HDMI cable inside the mac mini port when booting up and switch it over or is there a way i can leave the HDMI port in the back of my GPU because if i do i get no signal so i cant see anything thats going on and if i try switching it to my mac mini port its still no signal unless it was already in the mac mini port before i boot up. (This is because integrated graphics are DISABLED)

Mac OS does not recognize my GPU and i dont know how to check if it recognizes the razer core X.

This post was modified 1 month ago

Mac Mini late 2018
16gb RAM.

ReplyQuote
 of  2