Mac Mini 2018 / Razer Core X / AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 working beautifully with Wi...

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Mini 2018 / Razer Core X / AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 working beautifully with Windows 10 October 2020 Update (20H2 Build 19042.746)  

RSS

Habadera
(@habadera)
Eminent Member

So, I had a bit of a shock today.  I haven't rebooted my Mac for a long time, and after having locked my updates on 1903 for a couple of years, and when I restarted my machine Microsoft appeared to force an update on me to Windows 1909.  At first I was super pissed because I knew it would break my eGPU (1909 has NEVER worked for me), but by that point I was in the blue "Windows is configuring your updates" shutdown screen, so I had to let it run, and sure enough, black screen on reboot.

So, I pulled the HDMI cable out of the eGPU enclosure and the thunderbolt cable connecting it to the Mac and booted into Windows with just the CPU with onboard graphics and thought "fuck it, maybe I'm done then.  Embedded graphics for me from now on..."

I thought I might as well update Windows completely to the very latest version and install pretty much everything if that was going to be my future.  I also installed 2 Apple Boot Camp updates at the same time.

Then on a whim I decided just to see (with zero percent faith) whether it might somehow magically boot with the eGPU attached again.  I pulled the HDMI out of the Mac and put it back into the back of the eGPU enclosure, connected the thunderbolt cable and... well fuck me!  It's working a treat.  Fully patched, fully up to date Windows 10 with eGPU working fine.

I've rebooted half a dozen times, opened the Radeon graphics app and changed a few settings, run a few games etc. just to make sure it's all working because I could hardly believe it.

This topic was modified 3 months ago

Mac Mini 2018 6-core i7, 32 GB/ Razer Core X / AMD Vega 64 / LG Ultrawide Display

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@habadera

Great news. What is the Win Version number? 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Habadera
(@habadera)
Eminent Member

@mini-i5,

Windows 10 October 2020 Update (20H2 Build 19042.746) 

This post was modified 3 months ago

Mac Mini 2018 6-core i7, 32 GB/ Razer Core X / AMD Vega 64 / LG Ultrawide Display

ReplyQuote
OlaB
 OlaB
(@olab)

I'm tempted to try.. wish me luck xD

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
hornedfrog
(@hornedfrog)
Trusted Member

Thanks for the info.

Mac mini 2018/i7/1TB/32GB RAM
Sonnet Breakaway Box 650W. Sapphire Vega 64 - (21275-03-20G card)
OWC Thunderbolt 3 14 port hub
AKiTiO Node Duo, 1 x Patriot Scorch M.2 512G SSD PCI-E 3.0 x 2 drive.

ReplyQuote
OlaB
 OlaB
(@olab)

Reporting back.. from a working older version of windows 1903 using a pci.sys swap I ran a full windows update to latest 2020 update, expecting the worst. But it all just worked! Very happy I took the plunge Smile

Mac Mini 2018, Radeon 5700 XT, Asus XG station pro

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Habadera and Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

Yep. Win10 2004 20H2 is working with mine as well. Thanks to y'all for the heads up.

The 2018 Mini definitely enjoys the best eGPU support at the moment.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

Habadera liked
ReplyQuote