Mac mini 2018 working 50% of the time..

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Mac mini 2018 working 50% of the time..  

RSS

Danny Fong
(@danny_fong)

I know I have less to complain about than a lot of people here who can't get their systems working, but if anyone has some insight it would be appreciated.

I followed the entire guide, and boot from EFI.

I have to be very precise with timing to make my devices connect.

I turn on my system holding option. And within a total of 5 seconds I turn on the Egpu, hit enter on EFI (EGPU is powering on but is recognized) before I select Boot Windows as fast as a possible. If I succeed I get the spinning dots and Windows boots and my EGPU is recognized and functional.. yay!

If I'm too slow, or if the EGPU was on and connected before I turn my computer on, windows will not Boot up (windows logo boot loop). It's annoying when it takes me 3 or 4 attempts just to boot windows.

If I hotplug while in windows I get an error 12. 

I'm wondering if anyone knows what I need to change to have bootup be less finicky and just work. Or to be able to hotplug by disabling *somethings* so that my computer has enough available resources. 

I thought the windows boot loop was caused by not recognizing the EGPU (only the iGpu) and then crashing.

Does anyone have any insight or experienced anything similar?

Radeon RX 580, Razer Core X, 2018 Mac mini, Mojave, Windows 1903 with update from guide, downloaded latest drivers, and followed the EFI guide with just a drag and drop for Mac mini.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@danny_fong, Which EFI loader are you using? My guess from reading your symptoms is that you're using automate-eGPU EFI. On Apple T2 Macs such as the 2018 Mac mini, I'd recommend using the modified apple_set_os.efi v0.5 loader instead.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Danny Fong
(@danny_fong)

@itsage, thanks!! Works perfectly <3

Missed that little detail in the guide.. there's a lot there.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote