Mac Mini + Sonnet + GTX 1070 in Bootcamp Problem

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Mini + Sonnet + GTX 1070 in Bootcamp Problem  

RSS

Marc B
(@marc_b)

I just can't get it work, ugh. 

I figured it should be reasonably easy on a Mac Mini since there's no internal display but alas...

Completely fresh bootcamp Windows installation. Hotplugged the eGPU while Windows was running, it installed the drivers just fine. I reboot... and when the Windows logo appears I'm greeted by flickering and green glitches, crazy stuff happening. And it never gets past the Windows logo. 

Tried the video card drivers Windows installed automatically. Tried drivers from nvidia directly, and nothing seems to make a difference. I just can't finish booting into Windows with the eGPU connect no matter at which stage I plug it in. If I wait until Windows is actually up and running and plug it in then, it'll just not do anything and tell me to install drivers or tell me that it needs a reboot to finish installing drivers. Or code 43. 

But I can never fully boot into Windows with it. Would love if you guys had any ideas, thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@marc_b Your GTX 1070 eGPU is actually working given the symptom you described. The flickering on external monitor is due to Intel iGPU being disabled when there's an eGPU connected at boot. You can simply unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the Mac mini and connect it to your GTX 1070 eGPU. It's ready for use.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,12C,E] + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Marc B
(@marc_b)

Posted by: itsage

@marc_b Your GTX 1070 eGPU is actually working given the symptom you described. The flickering on external monitor is due to Intel iGPU being disabled when there's an eGPU connected at boot. You can simply unplug the HDMI cable from the back of the Mac mini and connect it to your GTX 1070 eGPU. It's ready for use.

Well, like I said it doesn't even finish booting up. It's stuck at the flickering Windows logo. 
I've tried switching the HDMI cable to the 1070 and just got a black screen. Switched back to the Mac and the Windows logo was still there, flickering happily.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Marc B
(@marc_b)

It boots into Windows if I plug in the eGPU right after the Windows logo appears but then obviously the eGPU doesn't actually work (error 43).

ReplyQuote
Marc B
(@marc_b)

And funny enough it works just fine with a GTX 970... *sigh*

ReplyQuote