Mac Mini Win 10 Bootcamp - Not seeing 5700XT at all

Notifications
Clear all

Mac Mini Win 10 Bootcamp - Not seeing 5700XT at all  

RSS

thegreatcarsoni
(@thegreatcarsoni)

Did a lot of searches before making this post, so hopefully details of my situation can yield answers.

I finally got my Mac Mini to read the 5700 XT (thru Razer Core X), and began installing games/testing. I had the Mac Mini hooked up to my display with TB3 and then patched the Display Port cable to the monitor after successfully installing Radeon drivers, all that was working great. To get there I did a cold boot in after following the instructions of the apple_set_os bootloader guide, and that first boot was a success. Running Win 10 18362.295.

I had to reboot the system after some software installs, and now I cannot get Win 10 to even see the AMD card. Occasionally it won't even boot, just black screen and the Mac Mini fan goes crazy. I made sure the bootx64 EFI file was still properly placed, made sure there are no peripherals, updates on Win10 were disabled, and the eGPU enclosure is plugged into the far left TB3 port. Anything I'm missing?

EDIT: Just did another reboot with the Display Port cable unplugged, booted through the EFI loader, and then switched from TB3 back to DP once Win10 was logged in. It's now acknowledging the 5700XT just fine. At this point I want to make sure I have the boot sequence correct so I can repeat the steps when I'm going into Boot Camp with the eGPU in the future—is it a known issue that plugging the eGPU enclosure to both the computer and the monitor would cause a problem?

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@thegreatcarsoni, Which particular EFI boot loader solution are you using? Having more than one Thunderbolt 3 component connected to the Mac booting into Windows can confuse the system in terms of resource allocation.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
thegreatcarsoni
(@thegreatcarsoni)

I actually used your build guide as a reference and used this guide for the boot loader. Guessing it would be best to leave my peripherals unplugged when I boot into Windows then? I have a TB3 audio interface, and a TB3 RAID drive.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

itsage liked
ReplyQuote