Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] 2013 Mac Pro (nMP, 6.1, 2013, Trashcan) eGPU Setup Master Thread  

of  8
  RSS

itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@aj_scarcella I have good news. I was able to replicate your success on my 2013 Mac Pro [Boot ROM version 133.0.0.0.0]. The three PCI-to-PCI Bridges I disabled were under PCI Express Root Port 1a - 0E02. I could leave the second D500 dGPU enabled or disabled and it made no difference to the eGPU detection. I believe the changes Apple made to the trashcan firmware made this possible. Thank you for this discovery! Here are some screen captures.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

@itsage

This is amazing! I guess we can tentatively assume that the full release of Catalina won’t do anything to damage this newfound success. 

Are you game enough to try Windows 1903? I deferred this update the other day as I’ve noticed anecdotally that there are eGPU issues with it so I haven’t checked what, if any, solutions apply to the Mac Pro

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@aj_scarcella I believe so. I installed the GM build of Catalina two days ago so there won't be any changes to the 6,1 firmware until another release. It's funny because my 2013 Mac Pro was near death due to a firmware corruption. I got it fixed last week and thanks to your discovery it's now in the best shape regarding eGPU use since I've owned it. 😀 

We'd love to see your build guide once you have a chance to do it.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@itsage @aj_scarcella

This is great news. Please keep us posted on Windows 1903 testing.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@mac_editor I'm doing a clean Boot Camp installation of Win10 1903 as we speak. I'm confident the firmware should allow it to work the same way. Last time I tried Boot Camp eGPU with the 2013 Mac Pro was more than a year ago and I never got eGPU detection. With the latest firmware, detection was immediate. Error 12 & 43 were the hurdles but automate-eGPU EFI, pre-compiled DSDT, and PCIe disablement take care of these errors.

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

@mac_editor

Will do. I’ll look at re-enabling my PCI bridges and disabling the same ones as @itsage

Out of curiosity, do we have any idea what kind of flow on hardware effects disabling those devices has? Does it stop some Thunderbolt ports from working or something? I don’t have any additional Thunderbolt devices I can run into the system at the same time as the others. 

I also want to get Paragon’s APFS driver and see if Windows detects the internal SSD. Not a critical element by any stretch, but I would definitely like to confirm whether or not there is a specific hardware cost to disabling the bridges. 

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Thunderbolt 3 detection works great in Windows 10 1903. However I could not get past error 43. I tried disabling many different components but nothing helped. Here's a screen capture of HWiNFO64.

ReplyQuote
AJ Scarcella
(@aj_scarcella)
Trusted Member

Interesting. Why has 1903 broken eGPU so badly?

Mac Pro 2013
OWC Mercury Helios FX
Radeon RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@aj_scarcella Earlier OS Build of Win10 1903 (up to 18362.295) actually improved eGPU hot-plug for many Macs. The 2013 Mac Pro has always been neglected so we don't really know what works until we try. It's encouraging to see Thunderbolt device detection in Windows with the latest nMP firmwares. 

ReplyQuote
jcp-123
(@jcp-123)

OK so my two-penneth...

My build is as follows:

• Mac Pro 2013 running Intel 6-core Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.50Ghz
  • Dual AMD FirePro D500
  • Razer Core X eGPU enclosure
  • Sapphire Vega 56 8GB
  • Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter
  • FLEXX SSD attached via USB running Windows 10 Home (1903)
  • MacOS Mojave (10.14.6) (Boot ROM 132.0.0.0.0)
  • Win10 drive created using Parallels and Win2USB to mod the EFI partition

I successfully followed the steps in:

Step 1. Create a dsdt-modified.aml DSDT file with a 36-bit root bridge

i, ii, iii then Option 1: Intel Method i, ii, ii, iv

Note my own DSDT-modified.dsl compiled without error after one change so I did not need to use the pre-compiled one.

Step 2. Load your dsdt-modified.aml as registry override or in-memory substitution

Option 1: i, ii, iii

Step 3. Confirm success with a ‘Large Memory’ area in Device Manager

Success!

I then had Code 43 and started to disable PCI-to-PCI Bridges. I disabled:

• PCI bus 17, device 10, function 0
  • PCI Slot 4 (PCI bus 21, device 5, function 0)

But could not find the others identified by @aj_scarcella

So I randomly disabled and spent many hours watching a black screen followed by Windows auto-repair cycles.

Maybe its the Boot ROM, maybe the Win 1903 build but have given up for now.

Mac Pro (2013) / Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter / Razer Core X / Saphire Vega 56 / Bootcamp: Windows10

2013 Mac Pro (FP D500 x2) [3rd,6C,E] + RX Vega 56 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  8