MacBook 13" 2019 - Regularly Reaching 100 Degrees While Gaming With eGPU?

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook 13" 2019 - Regularly Reaching 100 Degrees While Gaming With eGPU?  

RSS

charlieboymusic
(@charlieboymusic)

Hi.

I am using the Razer Core X + RTX 2070 in Bootcamp with the MacBook Pro 13" 2019 (i5-8279u). It has a base clock of 2.4GHz and Turbo up to 4.1GHz.

When gaming, the CPU temps quickly rises to 100 degrees, then throttles down. From my quick tests, I've seen idle clock speeds of roughly 3500MHz, which then throttle as low as 2700MHz (more commonly around 2900MHz).

A past solution would seem to be undervolting the CPU, which Intel have recently disabled on all their CPUs, from 6th gen to current.

In other's experience, is it normal for the MacBook's CPU to reach 100 degrees so often? I've searched this on Google and my results lead me to believe these temps are quite high. Also, is there a way to reduce throttling, without making physical changes to my room or laptop?

Many thanks in advance.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Viktor G
(@viktor_g)
Eminent Member

MacBooks are very conservative with their cooling. Reaching 100° certainly isn't good for the hardware. I already feel uncomfortable when my CPU temperatures go up to 80. There are two things you can do here.

1. Install Macs Fan Control and make a more aggressive fan profile.

2. Go into windows power settings and customize the profile. By limiting the maximum processor state to 99% you disable turboboosting, which greatly improves thermals. You might experience performance loss depending on the games you are playing but it's probably worth it.

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2060 Super @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
charlieboymusic
(@charlieboymusic)

@viktor_g, Hi.

Thank you for the reply, changing the maximum power state has not helped in my case unfortunately.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
charlieboymusic
(@charlieboymusic)

SOLVED. To anyone else who might have this issue, regardless of undervolting being disabled, Throttlestop can still be used to disable Turbo Boost clock speeds. Upon doing this, my CPU is now within safe temperatures of around 75 degrees. Surprisingly, while my CPU is now running at the lower base clock of 2.4GHz, performance actually seems identical with less hiccups/freezes. I would assume this is due to the CPU no longer constantly throttling performance. Problem solved! Now, let's just hope that months of gaming with high temps hasn't done too much damage...

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@charlieboymusic

Glad you found a temporary work around. It sounds like Apple should replace your cooling fans though. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
charlieboymusic
(@charlieboymusic)

@mini-i5, I'm not so sure. They sounded like they were working ok and I don't have a problems in Mac OS.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@charlieboymusic

Ah, interesting the high temps were only happening in Windows. 

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote