Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Air 2020 Bootcamp Build Discussion  

of  2
  RSS

Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

!! UPDATE: @andygev35 has managed to get the MBA 2020 i5 working. Sadly, it does not work for me. Do check out his guide. Link here!!

!! If following the build guide still fails, please read on!!

Hi All,

I've been looking around for information on this, but it looks like no one has gotten the MacBook Air 2020 in bootcamp to work with an eGPU.

I've decided to start this thread here for anyone trying to get the MacBook Air 2020 Bootcamp to run. Hopefully, consolidating our information here might result in progress.

My Build:

- MacBook Air 2020 with core i7, 16gb ram and 1tb ssd.

- Razer Core X Chroma

- nVidia 2080 Super

Initial Attempt:

1. Install Windows via Bootcamp (using Windows 18363.418)

2. Boot into Windows, complete Bootcamp installation in Windows. Restart.

3. Hot Plug eGPU.

Result: Screen goes crazy and BSODs.

Solving the BSOD:

1. After days of tinkering, I manage to read the BSOD message: "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE". Searching for this BSOD message online does not provide much guidance.

2. Upon further tinkering, I realize that I can avoid the BSOD by disable the Network Adapater in Control Panel-> System -> Device Manager -> Network Adapter.

3. The eGPU is detected correctly and installs. I can connect to my mouse (attached to the eGPU) and the internet (connected via Lan Port at the eGPU).

4. However, the GPU shows the dreaded code 12. 

5. Additionally, there is another device that shows code 12, the "High Definition Audio Controller".

Result: Hotplugging no longer results in BSOD, but GPU shows code 12.

Solving Code 12 - Part 1

Things I have tried to solve Code 12:

1. Tried different thunderbolt ports. No luck.

2. Fresh installation Windows build 18362.30 as indicated by this. No luck.

3. Disabled iSight Camera, Bluetooth, Network Adapter, iGPU in Device Manager. No luck.

Solving Code 12 - Part 2

@andygev35 has posted a build guide for his MBA (here). 

Sadly, following it does not work for my build. At this point, it may be useful for us to identify the significant differences between everyone's MBA 2020 attempts to idenify exactly why some builds fail and some are okay.

Here is my list of difference between my attempt and @andygev35's:

1. Core i7 CPU.

2. 16gb ram. <- I do not think this is an issue as ram does not use PCIE lanes. Can someone correct me if I am wrong?

3. 1tb SSD. <- Unlikely an issue unless the larger SSD somehow uses more PCIE lanes.

4. Hotplugging GPU results in BSOD with "KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE" message. The only way I prevent this is by disabling the Broacom Network Adapter in System. Note: I have to do this even for @andygev35's build.

5. 2 devices how up with Code 12 error on my build: The GPU and a "High Definition Audio Controller". See image:

9203 C7BACBDE 6A26 4191 9BD0 F32D1212BD52 png

6. eGPU is the Razer Core X Chroma. <- This eGPU allows for LAN passthrough and has a USB hub, maybe then it requires more PCIE lanes?

7. GPU is nVidia 2080 Super. <- As far as I know, team green GPUs are suppose to be plug and play with bootcamp set ups.

UPDATE 23/05/2020

I tried disabling the T2 Security Chip in Recovery mode, but still resulted in Error 12 after reset.

Next Steps: 

If anyone else is stuck even after follwing @andygev35's build, please post which similiarities you share (from point 1 to 7) with my build.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

Successful Build: MBP 2018 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 2080 Super.
Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

I've gotten the i5 variant working in Windows 10 with a Vega 56 and Razer Core X.  Even completely reinstalled it twice for proof of concept and to make sure it's reproducible.  I'm posting a build today with the instructions.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Corey Nopnop
(@corey_nopnop)

I'm stuck with ya Ivan, using a sonnet breakaway box with a rx 580 with a 2020 i5 mba.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
andygev35
(@andygev35)
Estimable Member

@corey_nopnop, I've posted a build that may help you HERE.

2020 MacBook Pro, i5-1038NG7, 16GB RAM, 1TB
Razer Core X
Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Dual BIOS

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

posted results after following @andygev35's build guide. Sadly, the guide does not work for me. For those unlucky few that are in the same boat, let's share our build specs and information to try and identify the issue.

Currently attempting: MBA 2020 Core i7 with Razer Core X Chroma + nVidia 20280 Super (Stuck with Error 12)

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

I am running into the same issue with a 2020 MacBook Pro 13-inch. I expected it to be "plug and play" using an Nvidia card + Bootcamp but I am seeing the same stubborn Code 12 error as you.

I believe that 'High Definition Audio Controller" you see with the same error is the part of the GPU that lets it output audio over the HDMI ports, so it makes sense that if the system can't allocate enough resources for the PCIe connection to the GPU card then the audio processing functionality of it won't work either.

The enclosure I am trying to use is a Mantiz Venus, which also has an ethernet port, USB hub and an SATA connection too. I believe they are all connected via the USB hub 'inside' the enclosure. I am not sure if the system needs more than a 4x wide PCIe connection for an enclosure like ours, but it seems to work on other people's builds.

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

ReplyQuote
Ivan Loo
(@ivan_loo)
Eminent Member

@jonodavis, finally. glad that someone is in the same boat as me.

does your MBP suffer from a BSOD when you plug in your eGPU?

This post was modified 2 months ago

ReplyQuote
jonodavis
(@jonodavis)
Eminent Member

@ivan_loo, I've never seen the BSOD, Fortunately it fails somewhat gracefully: the system lags a little bit as it identifies the EGPU, and the mouse, keyboard and network become unresponsive for about 30 seconds (they are also on PCIe busses, maybe it is trying to shuffle them around to make room for the EGPU), before settling on Error 12 for the EGPU.

I have read several reports now of both 2020 MacBook Airs and 2020 MacBook Pros failing to work with Nvidia cards in Bootcamp, and I suspect it has to do with the Ice Lake processor having integrated Thunderbolt instead of relying on a separate chipset. At this point I am somewhat resigned that I will need to wait for a driver update or Windows version bump to resolve the issue.

I am almost tempted to order an AMD card to attempt @andygev35 's method but I know that's no guarantee of success.

2020 13" MacBook Pro - Boot Camp Error 12 all day every day

ReplyQuote
oknelittocs
(@oknelittocs)

Hi egpu.io community,

I just got a new Razer Core X 2 days ago, and it was a plug and play for my MacOS Catalina, but a complete failure with my bootcamp Windows 10, with Error 207 experienced during installation of the Radeon software, and upon reboot, the error 12 on the graphics card.

Tried all the workarounds suggested but doesn't seem to work, and seems like getting a lot of different solutions which worked for different setups.

Anyone tried with the following setup? Or has a "failsafe" solution that will work with any setup?

Laptop: Macbook Air 2020 i5 with 16gb ram and 256gb disk space
Monitor: Prism X340 Pro (34" monitor) - dont think this matters
Graphics card: Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB
eGPU chassis: Razer Core X
MacOS: Catalina 10.15.4
WindowsOS: Windows 10 v1909

In desperate need of a working solution! Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
fabianring
(@fabianring)

I got am MBP 2020 13" and an AMD RX 5700 with a Razer Core X Chroma and I can't get it working properly aswell. So this isn't an Ndivia issue. 

I kinda got it to work with disabling the Network Port, using the DDU and installing the original driver afterwards. But my my mouse pointer flickers as hell and I can't adjust the resolution properly. So it's not really usable. 

I kinda wish somebody would come up with a working solution for the 2020MBPs

2020 MacbookPro 13"
Razer Core X Chrome
AMD RX 5700

working with flaws

ReplyQuote
 of  2