MacBook iGPU vs Mac Mini 2018 setup for eGPU?

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook iGPU vs Mac Mini 2018 setup for eGPU?  

RSS

viciousmoth
(@viciousmoth)

Hi guys, this site has been amazing in getting my Mac Mini 2018 up and running with an eGPU (Razer Core X w/ Radeon 5700 XT). 

Thanks to you guys, particularly itsage  <3, it was a pretty straightforward setup in installing Bootcamp on the Mac Mini with Win10 18362.295. For those interested (skip to next paragraph if not), on hdmi to hdmi cable, I installed Win10 with bootcamp. Once windows was installed, I installed Radeon with both the hdmi and eGPU connected. Once I restarted windows, I connected the eGPU via thunderbolt only, and it’s been good since. Some cold boot issues /  black screen issues that may require a restart, but otherwise, stable.

My question is - I miss the portability of a MacBook. I am looking forward to the rumored 14” MacBook (will post a build once it comes out!), but I’m wondering how different or more difficult setup will be with a MacBook? Much like the 13” MacBook options, I plan to buy one with integrated graphics. I’m specifically going for a macbook with integrated graphics to avoid a dGPU, hoping it makes things easier per the build guides on this site.

In general, can anyone let me know if setup will be similar, or give a heads up of what in the setup will be different and what to look out for? Thanks!

This topic was modified 2 years ago

Mac Mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6-core i7, 32GB Ram, 500gb SSD
Enclosure: Razer Core X - GPU: Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ 5700 XT Monitor: Dell AW3420DW

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@viciousmoth, I have found the iGPU MacBook Pro to be the same if not easier than the 2018 Mac mini for eGPU setup in Boot Camp. You get to see what's going on through the attached laptop display. The main difference is that you'd want the iGPU and internal display to remain working with the eGPU. There are several approaches to achieving this depending on the Mac laptop model and Windows 10 version. It's best to wait for the new iGPU MacBook Pro imo. You'd get better keyboard, better pricing, and Ice Lake processor. If you want an idea of Ice Lake eGPU performance, take a look at my 2019 Razer Blade Stealth + RTX 2080 Ti Gaming Box [build link]. I'm able to play Battlefield V, and several other ray tracing games at 4K and 60 FPS.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
viciousmoth
(@viciousmoth)

@itsage, Thanks for the reply! I checked out your referenced post, and that Battlefield video is really nice, wow ray tracing at 60fps! That’s a slick build.

I switched to an AMD GPU for MacOS/Windows compatibility, and while I do like my 5700 XT Nitro+, I’m realizing I don’t really need a GPU for MacOS, and its main use is gaming in Win10. I was concerned the difficulty in Windows working with an Nvidia GPU (since MacOS cant see it), but on the windows side it seems to be even easier. Your 2080ti build is convincing me to go back to Nvidia, or at least wait to see what the 3080 series offers. 😀 

Mac Mini (2018) 3.2 Ghz 6-core i7, 32GB Ram, 500gb SSD
Enclosure: Razer Core X - GPU: Sapphire Radeon Nitro+ 5700 XT Monitor: Dell AW3420DW

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@viciousmoth, Yes Nvidia eGPU is much easier than AMD eGPU to set up in Boot Camp. Most likely it's plug-and-play without issues. That's a good plan to wait on both new iGPU MacBook Pro and RTX 30XX graphics cards.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 13" ASUS ROG Flow X13 (RTX3050Ti) [R5K,8C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 64Gbps-XG (XG Mobile) + Win10 20H2 [build link]  

ReplyQuote