error 12 on 2015 15" MacBook Pro 15 (iGPU only) + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (M...

Notifications
Clear all

error 12 on 2015 15" MacBook Pro 15 (iGPU only) + RX 5700 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Mantiz Saturn Pro) + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 1903  

RSS

cpkcpk
(@cpkcpk)

Hey,

I mainly use a 2019 16" Macbook Pro with my eGPU setup, which I have working pretty well in both macOS and Boot Camp.

I have to send the 16" in to Apple for a repair, so I need to get my 2015 Macbook Pro 15" working with the eGPU setup to tide me over for a few weeks as I'm working from home.

It's working on macOS with the Apple TB2 cable + TB3 adapter after disabling SIP and running purge-wrangler, but crashes frequently, and almost every time I use anything graphics intensive such as Unity. The external monitor suddenly goes black, macOS crashes and need to do a hard re-boot.

I assumed it would be fairly easy to get working in Boot Camp Windows 10 1903 v1 as this model only has the iGPU, but can't get past error 12 and can't install the bootcampdrivers.com Radeon drivers successfully after using DDU. It won't install them without the eGPU connected as there is no AMD hardware detected, and install fails when it is connected resulting in error 12.

Anyone got any ideas? I could live without Boot Camp for a month while the 16" is repaired, but really need it working reliably in macOS without crashing every 5 minutes.

Thanks!

System specs 

•  2015 15"  Macbook Pro , i7-4700HQ CPU 2.2GHz. 
  •  iGPU: Intel Iris 5200 only, no dGPU)
  •  macOS Catalina 10.15.7
  •  Windows 10 Pro (1903 v1) 
  •  LG 27UL650 monitor (DP)

eGPU Hardware

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
cpkcpk
(@cpkcpk)

This thread was moved to Boot Camp forum and title amended with error 12, so should I post a separate thread for the macOS issues / crashes?

If anyone has any suggestions how to get past error 12 it would be much appreciated! I've read through lots of threads on here and filtered the build setups for 2015 Macbook Pros, but can't find any that use the iGPU-only model, 5700XT and Boot Camp. I'm guessing the solution will be similar to 13"s and Minis that don't have AMD dGPUs.

This post was modified 5 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote