Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 16 + NVIDIA eGPU?  

RSS

Jake Castro
(@jake_castro)

Here's what my setup would look like:

Ideally I'd like to be able to switch between MacOS and Windows while keeping the setup the same. I wouldn't be playing any games in MacOS but I'd just want the external monitor to still work.

I'd also still like to be able to play games on-the-go using the internal AMD GPU (in Windows). Not sure if there'd be any issues with this since I'd be installing NVIDIA drivers.

I'm also curious if there'd be any finicky-ness with having to unplug the eGPU when booting, etc. or if I could just keep it plugged in all the time.

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@jake_castro, cannot use NVIDIA GPUs (Maxwell+) on macOS Mojave or newer. See builds

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@jake_castro

Here is a recent build:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-16-macbook-pro-rp5300m-9th6ch-rtx-2080-super-sonnet-egfx-breakaway-box-550-win10-tsygna/

You can use a USB-C to display port cable between your MBP’s other TB3 port and your external display for Mac OS use.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
PicoDeGallo
(@picodegallo)

Posted by: @jake_castro

Here's what my setup would look like:

Ideally I'd like to be able to switch between MacOS and Windows while keeping the setup the same. I wouldn't be playing any games in MacOS but I'd just want the external monitor to still work.

Same.  I could switch between MacOS and Windows while keeping the setup the same - I did have Win10, but deleted it once the applications I needed it for were available natively on Mac.  I don't play games (period).  External monitor is old, and only 60 hz, but it's beautiful.

I'd also still like to be able to play games on-the-go using the internal AMD GPU (in Windows). Not sure if there'd be any issues with this since I'd be installing NVIDIA driversThis....I don't know about.

I'm also curious if there'd be any finicky-ness with having to unplug the eGPU when booting, etc. or if I could just keep it plugged in all the time.  I doubt you'd have any finicky-ness.  Windows should work flawlessly with the nVidia card.  And as for the Mac side, I do experience a whacky startup screen.  Looks like it's been chopped up and mixed up in a bowl - but once it logs in, it works totally normally without issues.  I occasionally take my MBP to Starbucks or something for just surfing the internet or occasionally doing some 3D modeling, but when I'm home, it's always plugged in to the eGPU.  I just let it sleep at night.

Not sure how much help this was, but nVidia + High Sierra = Smile  nVidia + Mojave or Catalina = Cry

2018 Macbook Pro (i7) 16GB RAM.
Razer Core X + nVidia (EVGA) GTX 1080
High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G66)
27in Apple Cinema Display (Mini DisplayPort)

ReplyQuote