[EFI Loader] Error 12 Fix in Boot Camp for Apple T2 Security Chip Macs (apple_se...

Notifications
Clear all

[EFI Loader] Error 12 Fix in Boot Camp for Apple T2 Security Chip Macs (apple_set_os loader v0.5)  

of  18
  RSS

sdedalus1
(@sdedalus1)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @susurs

If you disconnect the eGPU with modified bootx64 in EFI partition - Can it boot normally and use just iGPU without replacing the original file?

Posted by: @itsage

@susurs, The modified bootx64.efi would always load up first. If there's no eGPU detected the EFI loader would start Windows with only iGPU. You can also hit the SKIP shortcut key [z] from what I recall.

And of course if you only use the eGPU occasionally and don't want to be bothered waiting for the EFI loader or hitting Z when booting all the time, you could just install apple_set_os on a flash drive. Then just plug the drive in and hold option when you plan to boot with it, otherwise leave it unplugged and boot normally.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 1903 // Win10 on external SSD [build link]

2014 13" MacBook Pro [4th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.13.6 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Francesco Ripa
(@francesco_ripa)

Thank you a hundred times, now Mac and Windows boot the same way, with the same noise from the GPU’s fans.

System: 2019 MacBook Air, macOS Catalina, RX570

The first time you have to reboot in order to use the eGPU, but you get the notification so it’s all perfect.

Notice: I don’t have bootcamp drivers installed but eGPU just works. Also I’m booting Windows from and external flash drive.

Thanks again!

2019 MacBook Air (MacBookAir8,2, 1,6 GHz, 8 GB) + RX 570 @ R43SG-TB3 + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Sam Breen
(@sam_breen)

Apologises if this is posted elsewhere.

I have a 2020 MBP with  a Radeon Pro 5500M. I use the laptop for 99% windows, I need MacOS for a tiny portion of my job, but I prefer windows.

I was hoping to use the resources provided here to boot my laptop into windows on the iGPU, and maybe get some battery battery life. 

I tired a guide and made a bootable USB, which loaded didnt follow through as it could not detect an eGPU.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Manu89ft
(@manu89ft)
Eminent Member

thank you so much!! With this I was able to get my configuration going to signature. As of today, in 2021, is there no other way to get an EGPU going? at the moment i'm on windows fast ring channel and i have to change port to the card at every boot, i don't know if it's a very stable solution

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

eiprol liked
ReplyQuote
Susurs
(@susurs)
Estimable Member

Can apple_set_os.efi work in Windows 8?

|| Mac mini 2018, i7, 32GB || macOS 10.15.7 || Bootcamp W10 20H2 || Sonnet Puck RX 5700 eGPU ||

ReplyQuote
Irish
(@irish)

@aa15032261, HELP!

I had this working for months- however, for some reason it wouldn't load whatsoever, I let it try to do its thing and fix startup issues or whatnot on its own (This has happened a hundred times not too far from the norm with this). However, for the first time it reallyyyy got messed up and refused to start at all, kept doing the PC ran into a problem 🙁 cycle for like an hour

So after about and hour of futzing I said screw it, I removed bootcamp all together and Just assumed I was gonna redownload everything. But now, after using the clover configurator, idk if it was the original EFI in there or whatever, but now on startup it says "unable to locate bootx64.efi from memory" and won't start up. I've spent 5 hours trying to get this to work again and its beyond infuriating. I don't know if I need the original original EFI? or what Im doing wrong here but I was so close to get it working again after so many hours- now the very last step (besides hotswapping) doesn't work.

Thank you for making this fix in the first place, but Its really beyond my technical knowhow at this point.

-Irish 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
aa15032261
(@aa15032261)
Eminent Member

@irish, don’t worry, it’s easy to fix. Could you tell me what files are in your efi partition? Maybe take a screenshot of the error as well so I can take a look. 

MacBook Pro 16" / i9-9880H / 16GB / 5500M 4GB
Razer Core X / AMD Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
Scaven X
(@scaven_x)

@aa15032261

I can really use your help.

Long story short: I accidentally deleted the original bootx64.efi and unable to get it back, any suggestions?

I was forced to reinstall Windows on my Mac, therefore had to setup eGPU all over again. I was blindly following the steps, and what it came to renaming the boomx64.efi to bootx64_original.efi, I noticed that there were already two files in the \EFI\boot, namely bootx64_original.efi and bootx64.efi. I deleted bootx64_original.efi and renamed bootx64.efi without thinking. When I restart the computer and boot into apple_set_os, I was met with an infinite loop, thus unable to proceed. It was then I realized that the bootx64_original I deleted was actually the one apple_set_os.efi needed, but it was no where to be found on my computer.

I'm using a 16-inch MacBook, 2019 with Radeon 5500M.

16-inch MacBook Pro 2019 with Radeon 5500M, 2070 Super for eGPU paired with Razer Core X

ReplyQuote
aa15032261
(@aa15032261)
Eminent Member

@scaven_x, Easiest way to fix the issue is to rebuild the efi file structure with a windows installation disk. 

see method 2 here:

https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/fix-uefi-boot-in-windows-10-8-7.html

MacBook Pro 16" / i9-9880H / 16GB / 5500M 4GB
Razer Core X / AMD Radeon VII

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Scaven X
(@scaven_x)

@aa15032261

Thanks, problem solved! I realized I could just make a Windows bootable usb drive during which a new EFI file would be generated, nowthe system is up and running

16-inch MacBook Pro 2019 with Radeon 5500M, 2070 Super for eGPU paired with Razer Core X

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
 of  18