MacBook Pro 16,4 (5600M) + Core X + 5700 XT

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 16,4 (5600M) + Core X + 5700 XT  

RSS

LJR
 LJR
(@ljr)

Anyone have any experience/success getting an eGPU configured with bootcamp on the 5600m version of the MacBook Pro 16"?  Am about to throw in the towel with the aforementioned config.

(Also run into problems with cold boot into MacOS X, but hot-plug works fine).

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Honorable Member

@ljr

Wait, what?

Is that some kind of new humble brag?

No, no one has experience because you left out the important part - the part about spending $800 on a GPU upgrade so you wouldn’t need an eGPU... 😀

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX 5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.6 Catalina / Windows 2004 😏 / Dual LG 27" 4K displays

ReplyQuote
Keep-Left
(@keep-left)

I'd be interested to see how the 5600M compares to the eGPU 5700 XT...

My tip:
• run Windows version 1903 build 18362.30 or 18362.295
• OR, if you're running a later version of Windows, try replacing the pci.sys file from an ISO of 1903 build 18362.30/.295

My build of a 5700 XT in Razer Core X which is based mostly off this pci.sys guide

This post was modified 4 months ago
2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Max Tech YouTuber came to the conclusion that the new Radeon PRO 5600M on MacBook Pro 16" is significantly faster than a Radeon RX 5700 XT eGPU.

But... he did three main mistakes that can fake his conclusions:

First: He only did tests on macOS.

Second: He did most synthetic benchmarks, on non metal optimized benchmarks or games

Third: Most tests were done on low resolutions, that naturally favor discreet graphics due to eGPU bandwidth

On YouTube comments, I asked him to run some benchmarks on Windows 10 Bootcamp, but he presumed it would not change his conclusions.

Although AMD made a special custom Radeon Pro 5600M for Apple, it is still a 50W TDP GPU.

By the way, MacBook Pro version of Radeon Pro 5600M seems to be a Radeon RX 5700 XT with lower TDP and HBM2 memory.

And... Since sooner than later we are getting the so called big NAVI, eGPU will still be a great option for Windows Gaming on Macs. At least while Intel Macs still exist.

In the end, it would be great for someone to benchmark that on Bootcamp.

Personally I doubt it can get even close to eGPU Radeon RX 5700 XT on 1440p resolutions or higher.

This post was modified 4 months ago

Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2019 Radeon 560X

Vetal, joevt and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
precision01
(@precision01)
Trusted Member

Does anyone have a MacBook Pro with a Radeon Pro 5600M to do some benchmarks?

Razer Core X + AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT - Macbook Pro 15" Mid 2019 Radeon 560X

ReplyQuote
stallhagen
(@stallhagen)

@ljr, Did you have any success?

I have the same setup (5600m + Razer Core + 5700 XT) and no success in bootcamp yet. MacOS worked seemlessly. Running 18362.295 Win 10 and tried DDU multiple times.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
LJR
 LJR
(@ljr)

@stallhagen.- For the record/to be honest, I threw in the towel.  Mostly for two reasons:

- Mac performance with the 5600m was better than the 5700XT

- I saw no help to be had in this forum based on the criticism received...

@mini-i5 - no it wasn’t a humble brag, and sorry I posted on a day when you felt it necessary to belittle a new user.  In fact, there was a legitimate use case, and I would have been happy to share more info, but thought it futile following your warm welcome and helpful response. 

ReplyQuote
raebyagthefirst
(@raebyagthefirst)
Eminent Member

Hi, I recently published a similar build but with 5500M

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-16-macbook-pro-5500m-9th8ch-rx-5700-xt-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-macos-10-15-6-win10-2004

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [9th,8C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.6 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
stallhagen
(@stallhagen)

@raebyagthefirst, thanks I'll give it a try tonight. I know bootcampdrivers don't support 5600m yet, but I hope that won't be an issue.

ReplyQuote
egpuser
(@egpuser)

Posted by: @stallhagen

@raebyagthefirst, thanks I'll give it a try tonight. I know bootcampdrivers don't support 5600m yet, but I hope that won't be an issue.

It looks like they do since 6/29 https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/apple-boot-camp

itsage liked
ReplyQuote