MacBook Pro 2015 15" R9 M370X no longer sees Razer Core X eGPU case after upgrad...

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 2015 15" R9 M370X no longer sees Razer Core X eGPU case after upgrade to Catalina  

RSS

Charles Chevy Fasano
(@charles_chevy_fasano)

I have a 2015 15" MacBook Pro with the R9 M370X and I had Razer Core X connected using Apple's TB2 to TB3 adapter working with an Nvidia 980 Ti in Windows 10 Bootcamp 2004 and everything was working fine. However at the time my Mac's EFI was still on 192 from High Sierra and was never updated during OS installs and updates to Catalina 10.15.7 due to the bug that stop EFI updates when using an internal NVMe. Then I had the stupid idea of forcing the EFI to be updated by reinstalling the Apple SSD and running the 10.15.7 Combo update which updated the EFI to 199 and now the eGPU case in not seen in either Mac OS nor Windows Bootcamp and I cannot get Windows to boot with the dGPU disabled as all I get is a black screen when Windows tries to boot.

I searched but no one has the same exact setup as me. People that use the 980 in Bootcamp are still on 10.13.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Charles Chevy Fasano
(@charles_chevy_fasano)

macOS 10.15.7 sees the case but Windows does not despite the discrete GPU being enabled. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Charles Chevy Fasano
(@charles_chevy_fasano)

I have an interesting development.  It appears that if you use a Thunderbolt 3 Dock the Nvidia GTX 980 Ti GPU in the Razer Core X eGPU case is detected in Windows 10 using the disable discrete GPU EFI program.  The dock is connected using Apple's Thunderbolt 2 to 3 adapter.  This same setup does not work in macOS 10.13.6 though. As long as it works in Windows that's all I care about.  GPU-Z says the GPU is running PCI-E 3.0 x4.

Windows 10 is the 2004 from earlier this year version.  I have not installed the Oct update yet.

ReplyQuote