MacBook Pro 2020 (coffee lake, 2TB3) + Vega 64 LC - Unable to make it work

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro 2020 (coffee lake, 2TB3) + Vega 64 LC - Unable to make it work  

RSS

Flavio Alvarez
(@flavio_alvarez)

Hello:

I have a MacBook Pro 2020 (8th generation, 2 thunderbolt 3 ports), paired with a Radeon Vega 64 LC, with a Razer Core X. I have read different Guides (itsage and andygev35), and Builds (this for example), but still I'm unable to make the egpu work under windows 10. I don't know if it has to do with the MacBook Pro 2020 being a 8th generation cpu versus the vast majority of the guides that uses a 10th generation cpu.

In short, the things that I have tried so far are (not in a particular order, as I have followed several options):

• I have tried Windows 10 1903 v1, 1909 and the latest windows 2H2020
  • I have disabled Secure Boot and allow Boot of External Devices
  • Using always DDU under safe mode, deleting Nvidia and AMD Drivers
  • Used the official drivers from AMD, and also from Bootcamp (2019 November, January 2021)
  • Have disabled in the Device Manager FaceTime camera, PCI Express #3 (connecting the egpu in TB3 port nearest to the TAB Key), and Intel Iris Driver
  • I have tried cold and hot plug-in

Results:

• The latest AMD Driver gives Error 207 (Radeon Software installation completed successfully, but Windows detected a potential issue with your graphic device)
  • The 2019 driver completes the installation, but at reboot (cold plug) it hangs, and if hot plugged, it says: no AMD graphics driver is installed or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install AMD driver appropriate for you AMD hardware)

If someone could point me toward some other alternatives, I'll be very thankful.

Thanks in advance and best regards

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@flavio_alvarez, Look for build guides with 2018/2019 13-in MacBook Pro paired with Radeon eGPUs. The Thunderbolt 3 implementation is different between 8th gen and 10th gen CPU in these MBPs. As for the Radeon drivers, I'd recommend using version 20.4.2.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Flavio Alvarez
(@flavio_alvarez)

Very well, thanks for the advice. I have selected 18 builds that are similar to my configuration (MacBook 8th generation 2018/2019 and radeon), and I'll start the process to try all of them.

One question: it would be the same to consider the guides with Radeon Vega GPU's v/s other Radeon GPU's such as 5500,5700, RX580, or should I focus first in the Vega GPU's builds?

Thanks in advance and best regards

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
shijifeng
(@shijifeng)

Make sure your windows 10 version should be 1903 18362.295, I assume you have DDU cleaned and installed the graphics card driver from bootcampdrivers, it doesn't matter it shows error207.

1.Make sure you can enter windows when you disconnect eGPU

2.Shutdown MacBook Pro

3.Connect eGPU and boot up MacBook Pro. Immediately hold the option key to enter the system selection interface

4.Wait 5 seconds or so, disconnect eGPU

5.Select windows system, press enter, and connect eGPU after the windows logo appears before circle spinning

6.If you successfully enter the desktop, you would see that the yellow triangle in the device manager should be gone

7.It may be stuck or crashed after entering the system for the first time. Restart the computer once without eGPU, and use these magic tricks for the second restart.

8.If it is not successful, the timing of connecting eGPU may be wrong, try again

2018 MacBook Pro 13inch, Razer Core X, Vega 64

itsage and Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote