Macbook Pro 2020 [i7, 32gb RAM, 2TB SSD] + RX 5700 XT OC (Razer X Chroma) - Mac ...

Notifications
Clear all

Macbook Pro 2020 [i7, 32gb RAM, 2TB SSD] + RX 5700 XT OC (Razer X Chroma) - Mac OS 11.1 + Win 10  

RSS

apaulson85
(@apaulson85)

Hi everyone! For starters, I am a total newbie to all of this. So please enjoy and bear with me on the questions or unimportant details. 

In an effort to build an eGPU supported Windows gaming machine on my 2020 MBP, here are the steps I've taken so far - 

- Installed Windows 10 v. 1093 (OS build 18362.30)

- Turned off Windows Updates

** Now I'm Stuck **

What is, and how do I use, EFI Bootloader? Using this, https://egpu.io/boot-camp-egpu-setup-guide/ , I see the EFI patcher and that is honestly where my understanding stops. 

Any assistance with moving forward is greatly appreciated. My goal is to make a fantastic gaming laptop on the windows side, while still having the apple ecosystem on the other side. 

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Erik Tank
(@erik_tank)
Trusted Member

You don't need the EFI bootloader if you're using 1903v1. 

Boot into safe mode - run DDU to remove AMD drivers.

Boot into normal mode and install April bootcamp drivers.

Plug in eGPU.  Get Error 12 in device manager.  

Reboot.

Start mac - unplug eGPU at windows boot logo - plug eGPU back in after welcome screen.  Done.  Should work just like that. 

1903v1 USED to boot right into windows and the eGPU would automatically kick in, but whatever big sur did to the firmware upgrade broke that and now I have to unplug/plug at startup.  Still worth it.  I'm itching to try a 2009 build of windows myself, but will wait for winter break to play with that.  

2019 16" MBP - i9 - 32GB - 5500M 8GB - 1TB SSD w/eGPU 5700XT OC

ReplyQuote