MacBook Pro with NVIDIA eGPU shutting down computer on BootCamp

Notifications
Clear all

MacBook Pro with NVIDIA eGPU shutting down computer on BootCamp  

RSS

FrankFabregat
(@frankfabregat)

Hello. I recently purchased a Razer Core X with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 from MSI to be able to do some work on my Mac with Bootcamp such as CAD with Solidworks, and also be able to play some games on the side. I connected the eGPU enclosure, downloaded the NVIDIA drivers from the NVIDIA website (version 460.89, Game Ready), and the graphics card seemed to work, as I was getting video output on an external monitor which I connected via HDMI to the HDMI port on the graphics card. However, while I was using my computer in BootCamp, the computer froze, the fans in the computer suddenly spun rapidly, and then the computer shut down. I thought it was a one-off occurrence and kept doing things like adjusting the Windows color theme and other basic tasks, and the computer did the same thing again where it froze, the fans spun rapidly, and shut off. I then enabled the minidumps to be able to see what was the problem. In order to make sure that the problem had nothing to do with the graphics card not being over to run anything graphics intensive, I ran the Heaven Benchmark for a long time, and the computer did not shut down. I then opened Firefox to watch a YouTube video, and the computer shut down again, but there was no minidump. I opened Microsoft Edge and watched YouTube again to see if something changed, but the computer shut down again, but weirdly the crash while in Microsoft edge did provide a minidump file, which contained an error "nvlddmkm". It happened multiple times, and I had a clock that told me the exact time the crash happened, and there were no events or errors in Event Viewer within a minute of when the crash happened.

I thought that the best thing to do next was to delete the BootCamp partition and create a new one, which I did. I fully updated the computer, and hot-plugged the eGPU enclosure, and tried to see what would happen with the drivers that Windows automatically installs, to see if it changed anything, but unfortunately, I was experiencing the same problem. I have a minidump file about these crashes, but they are reference a Microsoft error, most likely due to the drivers that Windows automatically installed.

I read somewhere that some eGPU errors were fixed by changing the port where the eGPU was plugged in, but that did not change anything. I have been trying to get this working since the middle of December with no luck, just reading on forum posts and Reddit posts, but I have finally decided to make a post because I have not seen any posts describing a similar issue to mine. If anyone knows what my problem may be or have any suggestions of what to try next, I would be very thankful.

Thank you very much!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Rycco
(@rycco)
Reputable Member

Does it happens without the eGPU on Bootcamp? Are you using any software like throttlestop or QuickCPU? Did u let the Apple Software Update download and install all bootcamp drivers before installing the eGPU?

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP555) [7th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.12.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
FrankFabregat
(@frankfabregat)

@rycco, thabk you for your response. I just spent a couple of hours using Bootcamp without the eGPU, and I did not experience a crash, which happens when I'm about 10 minutes using the computer. I am not using throttlestop or QuickCPU. I did let the Apple drivers install, and then did the restart it recommend at the end of the install.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
kylekoren
(@kylekoren)

@frankfabregat Did you ever figure out how to fix this? I have a similar setup and am having the same issue. I’ve tried everything under the sun to try and fix it. 

ReplyQuote
FrankFabregat
(@frankfabregat)

@kylekoren, hello. I was able to find a fix a couple of weeks ago, but wanted to wait a bit to make sure it worked before I posted about it. So far I've been using it for a couple of weeks and I have not experienced the problems after doing the fix. Turns out that when the eGPU is not being used for GPU-intensive tasks, the GPU goes into a "low power mode", and for some reason that low power mode makes the mac crash. These are the steps I took to fix the problem:

• Open the NVIDIA Control Panel by right clicking in the desktop and then on NVIDIA Control Panel
  • On the left side of the control panel, open the "3D settings" section, and click on the "Manage 3D Settings" menu
  • On the right side of the panel, go to the "Global Settings" menu, which should be the one opened by default
  • Find the setting called "Power Management Mode" or something similar. In there, change Adaptive or whatever is selected to Maximum Performance

This fix will ultimately consume more power because the GPU never goes into it's "low power mode", but it should make the eGPU work without the mac crashing. Let me know if this fix works for you!

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Bshane
(@bshane)

Wow.  Interesting read.  I just got my Razer X tonight and tried getting my old Nvidia 950GTX going in it.   Unfortunately windows in boot camp freezes after a few seconds of me hot swapping it and freezes on boot from a cold start plug in.  I have a 13 inch MacBook Pro 2017 with integrated intel iris.   I did NOT install the nvidia drivers first.  I wonder if that’s my issue.  It did install them afterwards but still freezes on me with a blue screen. 

ReplyQuote
Jongmyung John Lim
(@jongmyung_john_lim)

@frankfabregat, hi! Have you already solved this problem? I have a same problem with Vega 56. I have played game with maximal Options and few minutes later, it was shut down automatically. Of course with rapid fan in Macbook.

i couldn't still find the solution..

ReplyQuote