MacBookPro 13" Touchbar 4x TB3 2018 - 16Gb - Razer Core X - Sapphire RX5700XT - ...

Notifications
Clear all

MacBookPro 13" Touchbar 4x TB3 2018 - 16Gb - Razer Core X - Sapphire RX5700XT - Catalina - Any chance of getting rid of error 12?rid of  

of  2
  RSS

beslemma
(@beslemma)

Dear community,

Many thanks for all the great support and tweaks / trial feeback posted on this forum.

I am trying to run my eGPU on my MacBookPro 2018 13" touchbar 4x TB3 ports SSD 512 & RAM 16Gb. I really don't care about using the internal display. I am interested most importantly in getting an image on the external monitor plugged on my eGPU.

I have given a try to get my eGPU Razer Core X + RX5700XT in Windows 10 and latest BootCamp + AMD drivers. As expected everything is working brilliantly under MacOS Catalina but in Windows I am hit hard by either the Error 12 or the flickering windows boot screen. I am pretty sure the desktop is loaded because the touch bar is up working but cannot get an image on my external display (HDMI 1 or 2 or DP 1 or 2).

Did all the DDU, tried various efi boot (no great success unless booting into the recovery mode of MacOS), disabling some of the PCI ports. Nothing get to work. :'(

With the latest windows insider version I nearly managed an image but unfortunately the logging screen went black after few second of bright image and hope.

I started with Windows 10 2004 with no luck and at the moment I am trying to retrieve the 1903 v1 version to test the pci.sys replacement or a new install of this older version of Windows. Finger crossed.

Before continuing wasting an awfull lot of time on this has anybody with a similar configuration of mine managed to get a stable system working under BootCamp?

In any case thanks for all your already very valuable inputs!

Manu

MBP 13" 2018 4x TB3 - Razer Core X - RX5700XT - MacOS Catalina / BootCamp

ReplyQuote
beslemma
(@beslemma)

Hi all,

Something I don't understand just happened: I now have my eGPU is now working on my external display.

No tweak of anykind, no EFI boot modification (I was about to do so), no modification of pci.sys running on lastest official AMD drivers after the 3x DDU cleaning this morning.

I have the blue Windows logo on my internal display with some jittering.

Running on Windows insider fast ring Build 20150.rs_prerelease.200612-1734 with eGPU plugged on the TB3 port bottom left close to TAB key.

Only things I did since my last post:

- Update of .NET Framework 3.5 & 4.8 KB4555452

- Swing dance hot plug between left and right TB3 port

- Reboot with eGPU plugged bottom left clost to TAB key

The internal INTEL card does not appear anymore in the Windows device explorer.

Will post stability of this sudden working status.

Manu

Adam Mesa liked
ReplyQuote
Baptiste Fournial
(@babao)

Hi,

I have the same laptop (2018 4-TB3 Macbook Pro).

I have tried many setups, my results were :

GTX 1060 6 GB :

nothing on Mac OS,

working on Windows 10 with the internal display when plugged on the left TB3-port closer from the touchpad when the little wheel appears during the Windows loading screen,

working on the external display everytime BUT also keeping the Intel GPU on when plugged when the little wheel appears during the Windows loading screen.

VEGA 64 :

plug and play on Mac OS (internal, external)

Windows 10 : working on the external display when cold plugged (and MBP display showing the windows logo jittering)

i didn't manage to make it work on internal display (error 12)

RTX 2080 SUPER :

I have exactly the same behavior as with the GTX 1060.

formerly KFA2 GTX 1060
Now on Razer Core X, Sapphire Vega64, MacBook TB, 4C8T 2018

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Galax SNPR) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
beslemma
(@beslemma)

@babao

Thanks for the reply. Did you use a specific version of Windows 10 and tweaks to get the Vega working? What AMD drivers are your using?

Is the eGPU working in Windows on all the TB3 ports?

I really struggled and had to go for Windows Insider with jiggling between TB3 port to manage to have something working and I cannot stop the internal display from showing the Windows logo.

Cheers,

Manu

ReplyQuote
Baptiste Fournial
(@babao)

I used the tricks found on this forum to block my windows version to 1903 (for disabling the auto update feature).

I think it works with both left TB3-ports, never tried the right ones.

Actually, I tolerate the Windows logo on the main display, didn't manage to get the trick with the bootable USB key to work.

I choose to switch from the VEGA to the 2080 SUPER because I don't use it on Mac OS and I prefer a setup which works everytime...

formerly KFA2 GTX 1060

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + GTX 1060 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Galax SNPR) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
beslemma
(@beslemma)

@babao,

Indeed I fully understand. The fact that my configuration suddenly accepted to boot cold remains a mystery.

I also will tolerate the Windows logo to the extent it does not mark my MBP screen. I don’t know how long it will last since I am on insider version.

I found a post detailing de boot sequence modification and indicating the USB boot does not work anymore following Catalina update. Only the SSD boot modification can work now with all the risks that means..

BR

Manu

ReplyQuote
beslemma
(@beslemma)

@babao, if I have now understood well the USB Key trick was not working because MacOS Catalina/firmwares now prevent booting from non certified OS when you have a T2 chip on board. We would need to remove any security at boot to be able to do this. So... not for me at this stage. Cheers. Emmanuel

ReplyQuote
Baptiste Fournial
(@babao)

Actually, I have disabled the T2 (by booting Mac OS in safe mode).

At this time, I was trying to make the VEGA work, and the 1060 setup was already fine without that.

formerly KFA2 GTX 1060

beslemma liked
ReplyQuote
beslemma
(@beslemma)

Managed to get everything working with RX 5700 XT with no hack, full security (including FileVault activated) under Windows 10 (1903) & waiting for confirmation that the next versions will solve this issue before upgrading.

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@beslemma, which w10 version did you use?

sorry did not see it . 

I have mine working fine with the same version without any hacks. 

This post was modified 5 days ago

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

B. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

C. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
 of  2