Mantiz venus + Bootcamp (windows 10) + Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+ (8gb) + Macbook p...

Notifications

Mantiz venus + Bootcamp (windows 10) + Sapphire Vega 64 nitro+ (8gb) + Macbook pro 15" touch-bar 2018 i9  

RSS

stoffer88
(@stoffer88)

I officially tried this setup with a bootcamp with the following components.

Mantiz Venus  2 (newest)

Sapphire Radeon 64 nitro+ 8 gb
PSU: Silverstone 800 Watt SST-SX800-LTI  to replace mantiz own 550 watt psu 
SSD from Samsung EVO 
Windows bootcamp 10 
Macbook pro  2018 2,9 GHz Intel Core i9 

I've been in contact with  Mantiz Venus  and experienced very mixed support from them. NOT very useful nor friendly to talk to. They said the 550 watt was too little for the nitro peak current of +700 watt so I bought an 800 watt to prove that their board can’t handle these kind of cards.

1 test (550 watt PSU) : 

Windows bootcamp: I tried using the nitro+ with the Mantiz out of the box and quickly got shutdowns when launching PUBG on high as well as running performance tests.  Got recommended to downvolt  with volt man from Mantiz support without luck. 

OS X: work fine even on high load

2 test (800 watt silverstone PSU):

Same.

Windows bootcamp: I tried using the nitro+ with the Mantiz out of the box and quickly got shutdowns when launching PUBG on high as well as running performance tests.  Got recommended to down-watt  with volt man from Mantiz support without luck. 

OS X: work fine even on high load

Conclusion: The  Mantiz Venus  and  vega 64  nitro+ combination is not a good match for the bootcamp solutoin. The Mantiz can not perform and match even with a stronger PSU.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
ggabriele3
(@ggabriele3)
Eminent Member

FWIW I use a reference Vega 64 with the Venus, stock PSU with a 2018 Mini and it has never had power issues that in aware of.

I agree on Mantiz’ support though. My Venus disconnects if the cable is even slightly touched. I email them about it and they say it’s because there are so many pins in the cable. When I ask here, nobody else has that problem.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
stoffer88
(@stoffer88)

@ggabriele3

Is this with the nitro+ and is it on bootcamp? in my thread I point out that it's working well in MAC OS 

ReplyQuote
ggabriele3
(@ggabriele3)
Eminent Member

@stoffer88

Yes on boot camp and OSX, but not the nitro. Maybe it just draws more power than the reference V64

ReplyQuote
teltersat2
(@teltersat2)
Eminent Member

@stoffer88

I agree with what ggabriele3 is saying. I have a similar setup (MBP 2017 15" Touch bar, Silverstone SFX-L 750W PSU, Mantiz Venus MZ-02) but I run a reference Sapphire Radeon Vega 64.  It runs perfectly all day while using it, but it will crash if left idle for long periods of time (perhaps 4+ hours). Also I did replace the TB3 cable because it was too short for me. Other cables seem to work fine (even if slightly touched)

Just out of curiosity, did you try BCD.com drivers? (long shot maybe)

Current build: 2017 15" MacBook Pro + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + Silverstone SX700-LPT (750W Peak) + Noctua NF-A14 + Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 8G (rev. 1.0)
Replaced parts: Sapphire Radeon RX 580 Nitro+; Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 (Reference model)

ReplyQuote