MBP 15 2018 + GTX 1080ti - Major Windows 10 issues

Notifications
Clear all

MBP 15 2018 + GTX 1080ti - Major Windows 10 issues  

RSS

(@adam_courtenay)

Hi All

I have been reading the many, many workarounds and suggested solutions for my problem but as yet, i cannot find anything that works.

I have tried using an older Build of Windows 10 and following the steps to install through DDU etc. I am using a MBP 2018, with the Mantiz Venus (and SSD connected for my Steam games). Boot camp is through a separate partition of my internal MBP HD.

My issue is as follows:

1. Windows 10 sometimes picks up my card/ssd, most of the time does not

2. I have been able to install the Nvidia drives at times, but often is just disconnects after a very short period of time

3. I’ve tried hot-booting the eGPU, connecting at launch, connecting at login, connecting during startup, all without results

4. I have tried using current and older Builds of Windows 10, and stopping auto updates, all with no luck

When I have got it to work (very temporarily), my screen on my MBP has gone black. I have tried using a small external monitor to see what’s happening and this allows me to view Windows. When doing this, the external monitor is connected through my graphics card, so Windows must be using it, however, when I try to boot a game it only shows a Windows generic graphics card (even though the NVidia app shows it as being connected).

I have also tried using the Automate eGPU EFI workaround, without any luck. When I try to boot into OS X through this, the whole computer crashes, and when I try to boot into Windows the screen has weird colours and then goes completely black. This also seems to completely and permanently ruin Windows, requiring me to roll-back to a saved state.

I’m getting more and more frustrated with this, and starting to regret getting this in the first place. My objective is to use the eGPU purely for gaming in Windows 10, using the external SSD to save my games on here. I do not really need it for OS X, so don’t really care if i cannot use it here.

Please can somebody help? I am running out of ideas and patience!

Thanks!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@adam_courtenay Take a look at this 2018 15-in MacBook Pro master thread by @mac_editor. Follow the steps he outlined and you'd be able to use the Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti eGPU in Boot Camp. He has a GTX 1070 eGPU build too which should be very similar to your setup.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
(@adam_courtenay)

Thanks, I'll have a look at that!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote