MBP 16 5300M, i7 - RTX 2070 SUPER in Sonnet Breakaway 550

Notifications
Clear all

MBP 16 5300M, i7 - RTX 2070 SUPER in Sonnet Breakaway 550  

RSS

LYPTUS
(@lyptus)

Hi everyone,

I am struggling while trying to set up an RTX 2070 Super with my base model MacBook Pro 16.

I have tried a variety of ways to get it running but nothing worked so far and i have run into a lot of different ways of “not working”.

There are 2 ways it usually ends. Upon auto-installing the driver when plugging in the gpu the macbook freezes and turns itself off after around 5 minutes. Or, when trying to install downloaded drivers from NVIDIA, i get a blackscreen and a subsequent crash. In both cases the system is completely unresponsive. If i try plugging the egpu back in after rebooting, the system immediately freezes. When i pull out the gpu I am often greeted by a variety of blue screens with a different message every time. I always gave to wipe the drivers again with DDU

so far i have tried:

- Build 1909 (different versions)

- Build 1903 (.30 and .295)

- Build 1803

- NVIDIA Drivers (multiple versions)

- Nvidia Experience to install driver

- Letting windows install driver

- Disabling dgpu

- Removing AMD Driver with DDU

- Both sides of ports

- Unplugging everything else only gpu and power cable plugged in

- Disabling webcam

- Plugging GPU during boot

- Hot Plug in Mac - shows up in System Info - PCI

- Disable 1901 Controller

I was really hoping that this would be plug and play for me like it seems to be for many, but after more than 6 hours of troubleshooting I have ran out of ideas. 

Does anyone know what i could try?

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Reputable Member

Couple of things to try, although I haven't had anywhere near this much trouble getting my 16" MBPro working (i9/5500m 4gb model).

I would try resetting SMC on the MacBook Pro in case something is confused/messed up with the UEFI settings.

Also if you haven't over the course of your troubleshooting disconnected the sonnet from A/C power to completely reset it, I know sometimes my Core v2 and Core X Chroma will not function properly unless I power cycle them completely.

Not expecting either of these things to solve your issue but its something to try.

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2019 ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 [R3K,4C,G] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
LYPTUS
(@lyptus)

@ningauble77, thanks for the reply. Tried both the SMC reset and completely reinstalled the gpu in the case. Didn't do nothing. How did you go about the setup? What worked for you? 

2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5300M) [9th,6C,H] + RTX 2070 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 550) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Reputable Member

For me, the RTX 2080 was essentially plug-and-play.  I was running the then current build of Windows 10 Pro 1909, booted into windows, plugged in the egpu, and let windows automatically install drivers.  The external display lit up after I switched to the correct DP input, and aside from some issues with Bluetooth ceasing to work after hotplug (which have since resolved themselves), I didn't have any particular difficulties. 

Since then I have upgraded the nvidia drivers with more recent ones from nvidia.com, overwriting the existing drivers without any issues either.

Do you have any other TB peripherals to test to verify that there isn't a hardware issue with your MacBook, and do you have any other video cards to try to rule out a hardware issue with the gpu?  If you hotplug the egpu while running MacOS, does it show up in the thunderbolt section of the system profiler?  You should also see a Video Device and USB controller entry in the PCI devices section, just with no loaded drivers.

Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2019 ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 [R3K,4C,G] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
LYPTUS
(@lyptus)

@ningauble77, I wish it was that simple for me! I don't have any other TB devices or gpus I could test. The GPU does not show up in system information under the thunderbolt section but I do see a "VGA compatible controller" and a usb controller connected to thunderbolt in the PCI section. 

Edit: I just tried an old Radeon HD5450 with the same EGPU case and it was plug and play. Driver setup worked immediately and the output to my display was flawless. Does this indicate that the RTX I have may be broken? I sadly don't have any other nvidia gpu to test this with....

ReplyQuote
LYPTUS
(@lyptus)

While im having a hard time reproducing specific errors and crashes, here is a list on what is common/has happened.

- Hot-Plug leads to immediate crash of mac

- Hot-Plug leads to automatic driver installation by windows which will then lead to a black screen

- Hot Plug leads to no driver automatic driver installation, manual installation fails right after it starts or at the end of the bar

-Hot Plug and manual driver installation works but mac crashes shortly after

- Hot Plug while DP cable is not connected to GPU allows me to install driver, however, card is not registered in any of the settings

- Hot Plug on left side leads to auto driver install, however presented with code 12 error. 

I have also updated my initial post to represent what I have tried since.

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Reputable Member

@lyptus,  I would be concerned about the RTX card being faulty at this point, is it under warranty/return period?

ReplyQuote
LYPTUS
(@lyptus)

@ningauble77, yeah, i have started the return process in the last hours and have already packed it back up. Hope it works out with the replacement card!

ReplyQuote