HackFlags 0x600 Registry Edit - AMD Radeon eGPU Boot Camp Error 12 Solution

Notifications
Clear all

HackFlags 0x600 Registry Edit - AMD Radeon eGPU Boot Camp Error 12 Solution  

of  2
  RSS

Georg Swoboda
(@georg_swoboda)

At last, error 12 is gone. Bootcamped win10_1903_V1_English_x64 (18362.30), install bootcamp drivers stuff, reboot safemode, DDU removed all AMD GPU and AUDIO drivers, reboot normal, plug in Core X + GPU, install AMD drivers (it will fail). Then the part that made it work: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/deployment/error-attach-pci-express-expansion-chassis

create HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP\Pci HackFlags key with 600 Hex val (using 64bit OS so i used the QWORD option) like shown here.

i cold boot the eGPU and my Windows logo sticks and sometimes flickers on bootup, but the eGPU attached display will come to live and i can login there.

when windows is up on the eGPU device manager will only show the external eGPU, no trace of the Intel builtin one - not ideal, but i can live with it for now.

Add or Remove HackFlags 0x600 via one-click REG file [Windows 64-bit]

The downloadable .reg files below will modify the QWORD value in this registry key below for your Windows 64-bit installation:

Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\PnP\Pci\HackFlags    

Value QWORD=0x600

1  Do step 2 (add) or step 3 (remove) below for what you would like to do.

2  To Add "HackFlags 0x600" to registry
A) Click/tap the file below to download it and go to step 4.  

3  To Remove "HackFlags 0x600" from registry, reverting back to the default setting
A) Click/tap the file below to download it and go to step 4.     

4  Save the .reg file to your desktop.

5  Double click/tap on the downloaded .reg file to merge it.

6  When prompted, click/tap on Run, Yes (UAC), Yes, and OK to approve the merge.

7  You can now delete the downloaded .reg file if you like.

8  Reboot the system to apply the changes.

2019 13" MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 1903

goalque, Nick Kay, nando4 and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@georg_swoboda, did the RX 5700 XT eGPU encounter error 12 without HackFlags 0x600? I read through the linked article and it seems similar to the Large Memory allocation workaround. We'd love to learn more about the advantage of this HackFlags 0x600 workaround.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Georg Swoboda
(@georg_swoboda)

@itsage,  I had no problems in MacOS - it was plug and play and still is there.

But bootcamp windows install and subsequent hot plugging would lead to error 12 - cold plugging before that registry change would lead to a non booting system (hands on blue windows logo) and no output on HDMI's or DP's.

With the fix hot plugging still doesnt work (it finds the Intel internal card + RX 5700 XT with Error 12, no matter which TB3 port left/right)

But cold plug or even moving from MacOS to Windows with a reboot and letting it plugged in works fine with a monitor connected to the eGPU directly - internal display is stuck at windows logo.

Gaming wise SteamVR + Oculus Quest works just fine for me.

2019 13" MacBook Pro + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15 & Win10 1903

ReplyQuote
joutain
(@joutain)

does it also only work with this version? win10_1903_V1_English_x64 (18362.30)

or you could do with with latest version?

2019 16MBP with no egpu yet, looking around for my first build

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@joutain I'm running the latest Win10 2004 preview build (20226.1000). Regardless of your Windows 10 version, give this HackFlags 0x600 a try and let us know whether it works for your particular setup.

@georg_swoboda, I tried your HackFlags 0x600 regedit tonight and it worked great with my 2018 Mac mini. Ever since upgrading macOS partition to Big Sur beta, the firmware changes did something to Thunderbolt device detection in Boot Camp. I had previously used the modified apple_set_os v0.5 EFI boot loader on this Mac mini with good success. However it's not working well once the new firmware was running.

@nando4 Can you take a look at the linked resource in OP and provide your feedback on what it does to resolve error 12?

Here's a screen capture of HWiNFO64 showing BIOS Date of 9/20/2020. I installed Adrenalin 20.9.1 but it has inconsistent performance like the other release in the past several months. The only stable version with eGPU for me is 20.4.2.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: @itsage

@nando4 Can you take a look at the linked resource in OP and provide your feedback on what it does to resolve error 12?

The Microsoft document explains the HackFlags 0x600 as fixing issues as quoted below. Presumably it does some more eGPU device and hosting bridge configuration to eradicate error 12.

To help users along, the opening post has been updated with a single-click Add & Remove .REG files to quickly test this as a error code 12 solution.

Cause of error 1

This issue may occur because of the initial state of the PCI Express bridge device in the expansion chassis. By default, when you start or reset PCI Express bridge devices, the initial values of the limit register for the bridge resource window are less than the initial values of the base register for the bridge resource window. Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 interpret this behavior as an indication that the bridge resource window is disabled. Additionally, Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 do not generate any bridge resource window requirements for the PCI Express bridge device. Therefore, any PCI Express bridge device that requires resources from the bridge resource window will fail enumeration. In this situation, a Code 12 error is generated.

Cause of error 2

This issue may occur if the operating system runs out of Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) bus numbers. Typically, the computer BIOS configures a limited bus-number range for PCI Express bridge devices. When an expansion chassis that contains a PCI Express complex switch together with a deep device hierarchy is added to the computer, the operating system runs out of available bus numbers. Therefore, the system cannot start devices in the expansion chassis

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nando4, Thank you very much for the insight and creating the .REG files for quick testing! I will try with more systems this week. For example, my 2019 13-in MacBook Pro with very similar specs as OP (except 512GB SSD) can work cold-plug very nicely with RX 5600 XT + VisionTek eGFX mini but will not work with RX 5700 XT + Mantiz Saturn Pro. It's either not detected through cold-plug, error 12, or error 43.

ReplyQuote
Nick Kay
(@nick_kay)

@georg_swoboda, Bro, thank you from the depths of my soul

I was worried this wasn't going to work at all, but this one registry edit did the trick!

You're amazing!
I didn't even have to re-install Windows or anything, just added this reg-key then rebooted, bam, everything works perfectly.

Working PERFECTLY here with Windows 10, 2004, all latest updates, and latest AMD drivers, Sonnet 550, 2018 Mac Mini & 10.15.7 Catalina, XFX 5700 XT

2018 i7 Mac Mini | Sonnet eGFX Breakaway Box 550 | XFX 5700 XT 8GB

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@nick_kay, That's good to hear! We need to more confirmations with different Mac + Radeon card combinations. I took my work laptop home to test and it's working first try. The only thing I need to sort out is the stuck Windows logo on internal display due to deactivated iGPU during boot up.

ReplyQuote
Fiesta5ever
(@fiesta5ever)

Just to summarize here, all i need to do is download/save/run that file... then I could essentially update my windows to the newest version without error 12?

Too good to be true...

2018 Mac Mini - ADT-Link R43SG-TB3 - Red Devil RX 5700 xt

ReplyQuote
 of  2