HackFlags 0x600 Registry Edit - AMD Radeon eGPU Boot Camp Error 12 Solution

Notifications
Clear all

HackFlags 0x600 Registry Edit - AMD Radeon eGPU Boot Camp Error 12 Solution  

of  3
  RSS

egpufan
(@egpufan)

Got it to work on a Mac Mini 2018 (i5) running Win 10 20H2 (Build 19042.608) on Razer Core X Chroma.  I used the hackflags withWin10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Oct2020 drivers.

This post was modified 4 weeks ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Sean Lou
(@sean_lou)

So, has anyone tried to use Windows 20H2 to run BootCamp with 5700XT so far? I'm wondering if it works. Thanks!

2020 MacBook Pro 13" (4 Thunderbolts)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM
Razer Core X, XFX 5700 XT 8GB

ReplyQuote
Agent
(@agent)

Posted by: @joutain

does it also only work with this version? win10_1903_V1_English_x64 (18362.30)

or you could do with with latest version?

It does not, for my setup anyway (Mac Mini 2018, Radeon VII, Mantiz enclosure). My setup worked with Windows 1903 18362.30.

After applying this registry setting, I allowed Windows to apply the 2020-10 Cumulative Update (bringing the version to Windows 1903 18362.1139) but it would not recognize the eGPU. Specifically, when rebooting with both the eGPU and iGPU connected, the iGPU presented an irregularly flashing Windows logo and screwy blue screen, and the eGPU was no screen; when rebooting with only the eGPU connected, it was just no screen.

However! Updating to Windows 20H2 allows the eGPU to work even without this registry setting. I’ll make another post about that.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Ruglet
(@ruglet)

I’ve also tested this with the 16” MacBook Pro (Razer core V2, Radeon RX5700) and got the same results as itsage. I’m afraid the error 12 is still there. The only solution that works for me is the pci.sys replacement but even then it disables Bluetooth and will only work with the November 2019 Adrenaline drivers from bootcampdrivers.com.

2019 16” MacBook Pro (2.6Ghz 6 Core i7, stock)
Razer Core V2
ASUS AMD Radeon RX5700
LG 27UL850

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ruglet, To resolve error 12 on the 2019 16-in MacBook Pro, I keep Windows 10 at 1903, version 18362.30. PCI.SYS swap works too but the newest versions of Windows 10 2004 do not like this and would force Recovery to put original PCI.SYS back in system folder.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 15" HP Spectre X360 [11th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Muscovite
(@muscovite)

Rats!  I was hoping this would finally work

Removed set_apple_os.efi

Added the key

Same behaviour as that without the set_apple_os.efi:

Code 12 if hot-plugged

Blank screen if cold-plugged

Reinstalliing the set_apple_os without removing the keys works, for what it's worth.

I guess having a (TB-only) monitor plugged into the mini and not the gpu does matter.  Again.

So, I am back to my previous "solution":

Booting into windows after a shutdown works 90% of the time.

Hot-plugging gives s USB 3.1 unrecognised device error

Mac mini (2018) / 3,2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 / 64GB / 1TB + LG Ultrafine 5K + Sonnet eGFX 550
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, IMPOSSIBLE in Bootcamp Windows, no matter the version)
Sapphire Pulse__RX 580 8GB (plug and play in macOS Catalina 10.15.5, WORKS cold-plugged after a shutdown on Windows 2004

ReplyQuote
Kane Xu
(@kane_xu)

2019 13" touch bar MBP, with ADT link, AMD RX 580, win10 20H2, sadly this reg hack seems not working.

I download the .reg file, applied and check the regedit and confrim the value is there.

I then hot plugged it and not working, and then I keep it plugged in and reboot into windows, just black screen, as always.

I'll now try a complete shut down and power on with cold plugged...

ReplyQuote
Kane Xu
(@kane_xu)

Posted by: @kane_xu

2019 13" touch bar MBP, with ADT link, AMD RX 580, win10 20H2, sadly this reg hack seems not working.

I download the .reg file, applied and check the regedit and confrim the value is there.

I then hot plugged it and not working, and then I keep it plugged in and reboot into windows, just black screen, as always.

I'll now try a complete shut down and power on with cold plugged...

ok I just back from complete power-off and power-on with cold plugged, now the egpu is working.

HOWEVER! even before the reg hacking, my black screen issue is kind of random. sometimes everything just goes nicely and sometimes my external monitor just show me black, unpowered.

So I cannot say this time while I'm writing the post via the external monitor, is by the help of the reg hacking. I'll continue checking my system till now, if it goes nicely each time after, then I can say the reg hacking is working.

BTW, do you think "a complete power-off then power on with TB3 cable plugged" is any different by just "a windows restart while TB3 cable is hot plugged"? For the bootcamp sitting I've already set it to windows, so each time the system boots with out pressing the opt key, it'll leads to windows. And on the other hand, I've set my ADT link power switch to "always on", so the system at the other end of the TB3 cable is always running.

ReplyQuote
 of  3