MBP w/ 750M + Akitio Node Compatibility on Windows 8.1/10

Notifications

MBP w/ 750M + Akitio Node Compatibility on Windows 8.1/10  

RSS

mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

After much effort (that was all in vain), I have concluded that the Akitio Node + TB3 to TB2 Adapter configuration is not really compatible with Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 on MacBook Pro 11,3 (w/ 750M) with NVIDIA 9xx and later cards. However, the Akitio Thunder2 seems to be working (most build success stories on the web w/ 750M models). The Node seems to work fine on macOS, however, and I really don't want to return it given the TB3 future-proofing it offers. Plus, building a Thunder2 with a 980Ti will require a lot more work to get up and running besides bending/removing the back of the enclosure for the GPU.

I was hoping to at least see some errors like the common error 12, but obviously there weren't any because the Node can't be detected in the first place. The Intel Thunderbolt drivers are of no use. If anyone on a Late 2013 or Mid 2014 MacBook Pro w/ 750M is able to get the Node detected on Windows (Bootcamp), do let me know.

UPDATE: The Node works on Windows on this model with AMD cards.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance
2018 MacBook Pro 15" RP560X + RX 5700 XT (Mantiz Venus)

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

nando4 liked
ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@mac_editor, what Node firmware is being report in macOS for your Node? See reference pic below from here where a bootcamped 2015 MBA successfully had Node eGPU detection via a TB3->TB2 adapter. That was with the new 23.1 firmware that allows eGPU detection in Windows which is linked off here.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (6th,4C,H) + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I have the same 23.1 firmware on the Node (just checked).

Even after running on Iris Pro and disabling 750M, there's no luck.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Yep, as @P-Mac said, you should not use -a mode for Windows:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2014-mbp-w-750m-issues/#post-5214

Did you try gpu-switch integrated mode + apple_set_os.efihttps://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi
--
Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: goalque

Yep, as @P-Mac said, you should not use -a mode for Windows:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2014-mbp-w-750m-issues/#post-5214

Did you try gpu-switch integrated mode + apple_set_os.efihttps://github.com/0xbb/gpu-switch

I have tried that modification. Just to clarify, this is what I did:

• Booted to Windows with the USB drive to make sure device is visible.
  • Switched to integrated mode.
  • Tried plugging in GPU on next Windows boot after boot chime.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Hmm.. do you see sign of Node's Thunderbolt port in Windows Device Manager (view devices by connection)?

--

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Hmm.. do you see sign of Node's Thunderbolt port in Windows Device Manager (view devices by connection)?

No sign of anything associated with Thunderbolt or the Node in the device manager. View hidden devices enabled.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

With Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter + Apple TB cable? Your MBP does not support hot-plugging. The only way to get it detected is to boot from a cold power state + Node turned on. Make sure that Windows 10 "fast boot" is disabled.

--

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

With Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter + Apple TB cable? Your MBP does not support hot-plugging. The only way to get it detected is to boot from a cold power state + Node turned on. Make sure that Windows 10 "fast boot" is disabled.

That's right. From cold power stage, I encounter the POST issue, however. How do I get past that? I will try this again.

I have "Fast Startup" disabled since I disable hibernation anyways.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: mac_editor

That's right. From cold power stage, I encounter the POST issue, however. How do I get past that? I will try this again.

Still stuck at POST. The mac just refuses to spring to life. I think I have gleaned the following so far:

• For eGPUs to work on Windows Bootcamp with the Node on my mac, a successful cold boot (or well timed TB plug in before the windows logo shows up) is necessary. This can be inferred on the basis that there is some response (such as being stuck) when the eGPU is plugged in.
  • There is also an issue with running NVIDIA cards with the discrete graphics, thus the POST issue on my Mac and the frozen boot-up process for the timed-plug-in method.
  • Perhaps a different set of Thunderbolt adapter/wires would have greater success?

On the basis of this, what is your opinion on running an AMD card instead?

This could solve the POST issue, and with that, the whole problem as well, and it is probably a given that it will work on macOS.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Some more information:

I decided to connect the Node to the notebook without the GPU installed.

• On macOS, the Node is detected as expected.
  • No detection on Windows.

This is a sad day for me.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
Antharsious
(@antharsious)
Trusted Member

Yes, for me too^^

I  have the exactly same Macbook as yours (with 750m) and would be highly interested by this eGPU world...

Keep looking at your progress... 😉

2014 15" Macbook Pro GT750M + [email protected] (AKiTiO Thunder2) + Win10

Impact of Turboboost on performances and fan noise level (MacBook Pro)

ReplyQuote
casual_g
(@casual_g)
Eminent Member

It surprises me that there would be such a difference between mid-2014 13" and mid-2014 15" macbook pros. Presumably the thunderbolt hardware is the same.

Do you think me having a thunderbolt ethernet adaptor makes a difference in "activating" the thunderbolt chip? Grasping at straws.

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

This could solve the POST issue, and with that, the whole problem as well, and it is probably a given that it will work on macOS.

I don't know. I am not aware of anyone who has tried AMD eGPU + 750M combo in Windows. Let us know if you decide to try out 🙂

--

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

I don't know. I am not aware of anyone who has tried AMD eGPU + 750M combo in Windows. Let us know if you decide to try out 🙂

I might ;p

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

So basically we can conclude that the Node + NVIDIA cards on MBPs with 750M is not compatible on Windows at the moment. It works fine on macOS with a timed plug-in.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

So, I have decided to return my NVIDIA card and purchase an RX 480 to give eGPUs on this notebook another shot. I really don't want to give up on the future-proofing thanks to the Node.. so let's see what happens...

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

UPDATE: The Node is compatible with the Mac model, but NVIDIA GPUs in that enclosure are not. 

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
san
 san
(@san)

Are you successed with RX480 + Node?

Pending: Add my system information and expected eGPU configuration to my signature to give context to my posts

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

ReplyQuote
san
 san
(@san)

Posted by: san

Are you successed with RX480 + Node?

Yes, see the guide here:  https://egpu.io/forums/builds/mid-2014-macbook-pro-w-750m-rx-480-akitio-node-on-macos-win-10

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Christolito
(@christolito)

Planning a build with Nvidia 10xx - and my Macbook Pro is late 2013 (with the GT 750M) Is this problem just for the current node? Or is it for all Akitio products? Will be picking up the Thunder 3 (or maybe the Node Lite when it hits the shelves)

ReplyQuote
Feijoa
(@feijoa)

I've got a MPB mid 2014 (GT 750M & 16GB ram) and have just got my egpu setup working with:

I had all sorts of issues in Windows 7 (error 12), finally I installed a fresh (latest) version of Windows 10 (via EFI). After installing the Nvidia drivers I again had an error 12 but on reboot it sorted itself out. Now it's working perfectly in Windows 10 and MacOS (with egpu script). It's not as future proof as a TB3 setup but it's a bit cheaper and works without too much hassle.

ReplyQuote
Feijoa
(@feijoa)

Oh and I bought this combination based on this article: http://beta-blog.archagon.net/2016/12/31/cheap-and-painless-egpu-thrills-on-a-2013-macbook-pro/

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: Christolito

Planning a build with Nvidia 10xx - and my Macbook Pro is late 2013 (with the GT 750M) Is this problem just for the current node? Or is it for all Akitio products? Will be picking up the Thunder 3 (or maybe the Node Lite when it hits the shelves)

Only problems with the Node have been reported, but success with other Thunderbolt 3 enclosures (such as the Venus or Thunder3) have not been reported. If you are adamant on using a 10xx NVIDIA card, I would recommend the Thunder2 that guarantees functionality on both macOS and Windows. It may be possible that other TB3 enclosures work on Windows, but any NVIDIA 9xx or later card does not work on Windows with the Akitio Node on the 750M macs.

Master Threads:
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

ReplyQuote
gtosi
(@gtosi)
Eminent Member

Did anyone try 750m+Node+Nvidia9xx/10xx+Windows with High Sierra? Even if there are no web drivers yet for the macos side, does the POST issue still persist?

ReplyQuote