Mid 2012 13" Macbook pro + XFX RX 580 + Razer Core X

Notifications
Clear all

Mid 2012 13" Macbook pro + XFX RX 580 + Razer Core X  

of  3
  RSS

David51
(@david51)

Hello everyone, I'm absolutely new to egpu but I found the project really cool so I went for it:

I have a Macbook pro mid 2012, 2.9ghz intel core i7 dual core, 16gg 1867mhz ddr3 and intel HD graphics 4000 1536mo.

I installed quite simply (thanks to purge wrangler) my rx 580 of 8gg on the Mac partition of my ssd (OS catalina 10.15.4). i have a razer core X.

Now I would like to do the same for my windows partition (10 pro, 1909 unfortunately, i'm going to install the 1903 version, and update to KB4512508 manually).

I have done some research before starting, and I'm looking forward to it, but I have some little doubts that I'd like to clarify with you:

1) On the bootcampdrivers site, it is recommended to take the legacy drivers for macbooks < 2012, but I guess the drivers won't be up to date for my rx 580? Or are these updated "modified" drivers?

Or should I download the adrenalin 2020 All users red gaming edition?

2) can i install any version of bootcamp drivers for windows (In order to have wi fi etc)

Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

This topic was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
David51
(@david51)

I'm a bit drowning because it's true that I only have an Intel HD Graphics 4000, so there's no need to remove anything with ddu. From what I understand, I don't need to install these drivers via the bootcamp drivers by removing them from the bootcamp folder. After doing something with apple_set_os.efi (I think it's to avoid conflicts with the intel chipset and an egpu under windows, that's the relatively fuzzy part for me) then install the bootcamp drivers, restart my UEFI installation with the egpu plugged in and install the latest drivers available from AMD. I think I understood the global approach even if one point is blurred (apple_set_os.efi) I hope it will work.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
David51
(@david51)

Hello everyone, Well I hot plugged the egpu on the macbook under windows: nothing happens no hardware detected (yet I have the good version of windows 10 1903), I also plugged the egpu on the macbook turned off then I booted on the windows partition: black screen.

I saw that my bios mode is legacyand not UEFI, so already the big difficulty will be to install windows in UEFI (rufus crash at the end of the procedure which lasts several hours) , or convert my bootcamp partition in UEFI mode... I find some stuff on the internet but it's very fuzzy if you could help me please. If anyone knows of a user with the same config as me who managed to plug in his egpu, thank you.

ReplyQuote
David51
(@david51)

Please help me because now I'm lost, I tried everything to install windows 10 in uefi mode but impossible since the key must be in fat32 and the iso is too big. So it's impossible to install Windows even without bootcamp. I tried to convert my bootcamp bios installation to uefi, nothing like on the tutorial ( https://www.reddit.com/r/mac/comments/3dlu2g/convert_a_bootcamp_bios_windows_installation_to/ ).

Everything is against me the

Please I put myself on this forum thinking that the community was very active. Even if you don't want to help me but you can direct me to something that will help me, it would be good because now I'm with an egpu that is of no use to me.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

There are several Windows builds with the 2012 13-inch MacBook Pro. Take a look at this particular setup procedure by @xignalio.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
David51
(@david51)

First of all itsage, a big thank you for answering! Precisely I have just seen that while searching on the site, I will test immediately, however I am blocked to make a gpt bootable key with Rufus because the Windows 1903 iso is too big. Do you have another utility to recommend?

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@david51

For my setup, I used the bootcamp utility in macOS to create the install disk. I don't let it do the full installation, just have it create the install disk with the windows iso and proper mac specific drivers for wifi etc. Check my windows build for all the steps I use.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
David51
(@david51)

@nu_ninja, Thank you very much for your answer, I read on the internet that rufus finally allows to create a bootable UEFI key on ntfs key (yesterday it failed on my mac but now it worked on a pc) I booted thanks to alt on the efi boot partition but it's stuck on the boot menu (it finally abort ans booted I will try your method , Wheeler i can find it ?) BOOTCAMP allows to create a UEFI key ?!

ReplyQuote
David51
(@david51)

@nu_ninja, I’ve found your Windows setup, i’ve made the usb key boot with bootcamp, but when i Try to install windows by selecting my Windows partition it says that it only can be installed on ntfs partition (you’ve said it is necessary to format partition in fat32) can i use the tool in the installation to format it in ntfs.

ReplyQuote
nu_ninja
(@nu_ninja)
Reputable Member

@david51

Yes, during the windows installation you can reformat the bootcamp partition to NTFS.

Mid-2012 13" Macbook Pro (MacBookPro9,2) TB1 -> RX 460/560 (AKiTiO Node/Thunder2)
+ macOS 10.15+Win10 + Linux Mint 19.1

2012 13" MacBook Pro [3rd,2C,M] + RX 460 @ 10Gbps-TB1 (AKiTiO Thunder2) + macOS 10.14.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  3