Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

Notifications
Clear all

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread  

of  11
  RSS

macnexus
(@macnexus)

@joevt, I was not able to create custom resolutions even if it is less than 4096 pixels wide or at 24Hz scan rate. They just show up as not installed even after reboot and SIP disabled. Not sure if this is a problem with SwitchResX (I have version 4.10.1 installed).

I shared the screenshot to make people aware that the screen resolution reported in System Information can be misleading as it clearly shows 5K when it is only 4K.

Computer: Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15" with M370X dGPU
eGPU: R43SG + Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
Matthew Chua Ong
(@matthew_chua_ong)

@joevt

Hey I actually tried doing this from a post on reddit. I think it worked for some people with LG monitors, but I couldnt get it to work with my samsung CRG9. Are these the settings you are changing?

Link to Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/user/pitjitsu/comments/e7q8do/49wl95c_mac_resolution_issue_fixed/

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@matthew_chua_ong, No. Setting DisplayPixelDimensions should no longer be necessary.

Overrides are located at:

/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides

and

/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides

An override for a display may use DisplayProductID-xxxx name or DisplayYearManufacture-xxxx-DisplayWeekManufacture-xxxx name.

For BigSur, the file should go into /Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides . SwitchResX should have created a file in there using the DisplayYearManufacture-xxxx-DisplayWeekManufacture-xxxx naming convention.

Make sure you don't have multiple files in multiple locations (I don't think it's possible to modify /System in BigSur?)

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
dinoscool3
(@dinoscool3)

Hope this is the right place! I have a 15in mid-2015 MacBook Pro. Since I got the upgraded 2.8 GhZ Processor, I've been figuring an eGPU set up might be best cost wise compared to buying a whole new Mac.

I've been reading through the builds and seem to understand some of the issues that crop up, but want to clarify a few things.

1. I've been planning on getting the AKiTio Node TitaneGPU Enclosure with Radeon RX 5700 XT GPU Bundle from OWC. I haven't seen anybody with this specific build, but cost/performance wise it seems to me like a good best choice. I would get a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter and a cord. Would I run into any unexpected issues with trying to set it up that way?

2. Every installation I see people saying they did a clean install of Windows 10 when they installed the drivers. Do I have to do that? I have a bunch of stuff already downloaded on Bootcamp so would like to avoid (I also don't know where to find my Windows 10 code).

3. I know there's the 12 error that's common on Bootcamp. It seems this can be avoided either by rolling back the Windows 10 version, or by using a GPU switcher software, is that right?

4. I'm not planning on using an external monitor, at least for another month or two before I get a used Apple Cinema display from my parents. Would there be any unforeseen issues setting up an external display later? Should I have an external display before setting up the eGPU?

Thank you so much for answering my questions! Smile

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lucaalucula
(@lucaalucula)

after a year of smooth working with my AMD eGpu and windows Bootcamp, the error 12 came again! I was wondering if this process will work as well with a mac mini 2018 with a razer core x and an AMD Radeon vega? thank you again for the work done

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  11