Notifications
Clear all

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread  

of  13
  RSS

macnexus
(@macnexus)
Eminent Member

@joevt, I was not able to create custom resolutions even if it is less than 4096 pixels wide or at 24Hz scan rate. They just show up as not installed even after reboot and SIP disabled. Not sure if this is a problem with SwitchResX (I have version 4.10.1 installed).

I shared the screenshot to make people aware that the screen resolution reported in System Information can be misleading as it clearly shows 5K when it is only 4K.

Computer: Mid 2015 MacBook Pro 15" with M370X dGPU
eGPU: R43SG + Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB

ReplyQuote
Matthew Chua Ong
(@matthew_chua_ong)

@joevt

Hey I actually tried doing this from a post on reddit. I think it worked for some people with LG monitors, but I couldnt get it to work with my samsung CRG9. Are these the settings you are changing?

Link to Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/user/pitjitsu/comments/e7q8do/49wl95c_mac_resolution_issue_fixed/

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

@matthew_chua_ong, No. Setting DisplayPixelDimensions should no longer be necessary.

Overrides are located at:

/System/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides

and

/Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides

An override for a display may use DisplayProductID-xxxx name or DisplayYearManufacture-xxxx-DisplayWeekManufacture-xxxx name.

For BigSur, the file should go into /Library/Displays/Contents/Resources/Overrides . SwitchResX should have created a file in there using the DisplayYearManufacture-xxxx-DisplayWeekManufacture-xxxx naming convention.

Make sure you don't have multiple files in multiple locations (I don't think it's possible to modify /System in BigSur?)

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Radeon Pro W5700, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
dinoscool3
(@dinoscool3)

Hope this is the right place! I have a 15in mid-2015 MacBook Pro. Since I got the upgraded 2.8 GhZ Processor, I've been figuring an eGPU set up might be best cost wise compared to buying a whole new Mac.

I've been reading through the builds and seem to understand some of the issues that crop up, but want to clarify a few things.

1. I've been planning on getting the AKiTio Node TitaneGPU Enclosure with Radeon RX 5700 XT GPU Bundle from OWC. I haven't seen anybody with this specific build, but cost/performance wise it seems to me like a good best choice. I would get a Thunderbolt 3 to 2 adapter and a cord. Would I run into any unexpected issues with trying to set it up that way?

2. Every installation I see people saying they did a clean install of Windows 10 when they installed the drivers. Do I have to do that? I have a bunch of stuff already downloaded on Bootcamp so would like to avoid (I also don't know where to find my Windows 10 code).

3. I know there's the 12 error that's common on Bootcamp. It seems this can be avoided either by rolling back the Windows 10 version, or by using a GPU switcher software, is that right?

4. I'm not planning on using an external monitor, at least for another month or two before I get a used Apple Cinema display from my parents. Would there be any unforeseen issues setting up an external display later? Should I have an external display before setting up the eGPU?

Thank you so much for answering my questions! Smile

2015 15" MacBook Pro (R9 M370X) [4th,4C,H] + RX 5600 XT @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.7 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
lucaalucula
(@lucaalucula)

after a year of smooth working with my AMD eGpu and windows Bootcamp, the error 12 came again! I was wondering if this process will work as well with a mac mini 2018 with a razer core x and an AMD Radeon vega? thank you again for the work done

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
mo5214
(@mo5214)

@Goalque Thank you for the tutorial. 😀

I managed to get my 2015 15" w/ M370X Working with a Radeon VII with Razer Core X on both macOS and Win10 Pro v1903 (18362.20) (after some modifications to startup.nsh), and I would have a build guide out as soon as I have time to document it.

However, I am having a hard time persuading my 11" Macbook Air 2015 to work properly using the mm commands in order to "open up" the memory hole for the Radeon VII.

Is there a resource I can read on how to calculate the mm memory addresses and PCI ID to use in order to apply this to my 11" MBA? (I tried looking around, but I couldn't find anything related to this topic at all :/)

Note: The modifications is adding these 3 lines in order for it to work for rMBP 15" 2015 in addition to stall 100000 prior

after \EFI\Boot\apple_set_os.efi :

#if not %lasterror% == 0 then
#reset -w
#endif

This post was modified 11 months ago

ReplyQuote
lucasjackson87
(@lucasjackson87)

Sorry, might be a dumb question, but where can I find the  EFI disk identifier for the new EFI partition I created? I'm having issues with seeing the actual partition when I restart my mac holding option. I only see the bootcamp partition and the Macintosh HD partition. I actually can't select the ms-dOS (FAT) as an option for the partition, which might be the issue...

I'm running Big Sur on a 2015 Macbook Pro

This post was modified 10 months ago

2015 Mid 15" MacBook Pro + RX 580 @ 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 + macOS 10.15.7

ReplyQuote
Isaac Halasima
(@isaac_halasima)

Aloha, I read this entire thread while trying nearly everything I've seen you do.  So when this "too good to be true?" thing happened, I had to see if it's happened to anybody else.  I did this with my MacBook Pro (mid-2015), 2.5GHz 4 Core, R9 370X, eGPU=Sonnet Breakaway Puck AMD RX 5700 (Thunderbolt 3 to 2), that's running the Big Sur 11.2.3.

The short version of the story:  And I'm guessing I can't be the only one.  But somehow I got everything to work (Bootcamp+eGPU+Windows+Thunderbolt2) without doing anything weird (other than the Wrangler to get TB2 to work with TB3)... and its confusing me.  Because I swear I've tried all sorts of things to get Bootcamp and the eGPU to play nice.  I'm a director/editor, and needed an eGPU to help get a couple more years out of my computers before I finally upgrade, which is how I settled on the "Puck."  And... if I can get a little of my COD Warzone fix on the side, then I'll do it (literally the only reason BootCamp is on my computers).  But this install is so normal, it didn't make sense to me.

Grabbed the newest version of Windows10 from this website ( https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php).  Installed it with Bootcamp Assistant.  Ran every update possible (Windows and Apple Update in Win10... updating took like an hour and tons of restarts) and now it works like a charm.  No error 12 or 43, or anything that I've been getting through days of trying different methods.  So... just doing the normal thing feels really weird.  Did Windows, Apple, AMD... all three...?  Did they quietly update something that suddenly just makes the eGPU work on a Mac running Windows?

All I know is my MacBook (mid-2015) is normally pushing hard for 12fps, on the lowest settings, with a 720p screen when I'd turn on COD Warzone... and you know.... wish I could actually play (my iMac is where I normally play). But just now, I just got done playing for 2 hours at 70-90fps (on my external 144Hz monitor), 1920x1080, with the settings maxed out.  That laptop was on its way to becoming the family "Netflix" computer, until today.  The "Puck" got as hot as the devils oven.  So I'll have to keep an eye on that.  But I thought I'd share, and see if I'm the only one whose Bootcamp adventure suddenly turned into the easy rode.

This post was modified 7 months ago

ReplyQuote
Rodog
(@rodog)

I've picked up a second hand MBPr 15" mid 2015 like yours (screen, battery keyboard and speakers all replaced by apple) which I intend to use as my daily driver for CAD and general media work in boot camp with latest windows 10.

At present I'm not looking to use an eGPU but would like to be able to boot up (on occasion) with the dedicated m370x switched off so I can reduce fan noise and increase battery life (say on a day where I'm doing non graphics demanding tasks and travelling).

I had begun to follow the steps on your original https://egpu.io/boot-camp-egpu-setup-guide/ but have now come across this dedicated mid 2015 thread. I was originally encouraged by the simplicity of just using the automate-eGPU EFI on a thumbdrive/FAT partition but this new thread has many additional steps and procedures that has got me a bit confused.

1. Are alot of the steps above only relevant if your reconfiguring your M.2 slot as a port for the eGPU?

2. What procedure and EFI file should I use for my use case?

Note: The previous owner gave me the machine with a new install of Mojave OSX (so pre Catalina) but it may well have had its firmware upgraded by apple regardless as you suggested above.

Thanks so much for your time and effort

Rodog.

ReplyQuote
Rodog
(@rodog)

I cant see the partition either but I did create an ms-dOS (FAT) partition as per the instructions in this thread https://egpu.io/boot-camp-egpu-setup-guide/

ReplyQuote
 of  13