Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

Notifications
Clear all

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread  

of  13
  RSS

dumman59
(@dumman59)

i just followed the above steps on my 15in 2018 mbp and it booted into windows. I thought all was good so far until I installed theintel gpu drivers. It installed with no errors but in device manager there is aMicrosoft basic display adapter and theintel one. The display is running off of basic drivers but theintel drivers are installed. Also the amd drivers do not detect my egpu when installing them. Is there something I might need to fix.
https://imgur.com/a/g6JKxls

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Gg Gg
(@gg_gg)

Hello, can you please provide clarity on instruction #5? This is somewhat broad and I do not know how to proceed. Been trying everything to get rid of Error 12. Early 2015 MBP with Thunderbolt 2 and M370X. RX 5700 eGPU

Posted by: @goalque

5) Create startup.nsh EFI Shell script

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

@gg_gg, there were some backslashes missing in the code at point 5. Please recreate the startup.nsh and try again.

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M.2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Weekendiac
(@weekendiac)
Eminent Member

@gg_gg, To solve this part, it took me the whole weekend. But meanwhile I got it. 😁

To create startup.nsh go to terminal and enter:

sudo nano Volumes/EFI\ Boot/startup.nsh

Copy the above script in the terminal window.

Then save it by ctrl + o

If this is not possible to save there, you will just save it under „startup.nsh“ without the clarification of any directory. Then search it in Finder and copy it to the above mentioned folder.

Follow the rest of the manual.

It works great and with each start of Windows my dGPU is completely turned off, which keeps my MacBook much colder and prevents the noisy fan from being used a long time.
Thanks to goalque!!!

MacBook Pro 11,5 (15“ Mid 2015 with AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 16GB, 1TB SSD)
eGPU: Razer Core X Chroma with Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and AMD Radeon Vega 64 using internal Display
Windows 10 pro build 2004 .19619 (by Windows Insider fast ring programm) and MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 with Purge Wrangler

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
Weekendiac
(@weekendiac)
Eminent Member

So, after the great success with my RX580, I wanted to get my Vega 64 to run in Windows-Bootcamp.

Installtion in MacOS went fine: take out RX580, plug in Vega 64.

Benchmarks are ok (considering: I use the internal display only).

Now Windows: I use the same configuration as mentioned above (using all rows of the script; I think Vega needs many resources). iGPU works fine, dGPU is still deactivated, but Vega 64 has error 12. 😩

okay, switching on and of several PCI-Express-Bridges ... meanwhile a hundred times or so ... no success. Still error 12. Deinstalling drivers, new install (I use those from bootcampdrivers.com, do not know wether this is necessary and not at all which I should use vom AMD.)? Still error 12.

The main problem could be, that I am not able to turn off the upper root port (just those under it). And this port is not given a different name from the other ports. Strange! Maybe wrong way.... ?

Do I have to change anything in the script? (Deactivating rows 4-6 was not successful.)

Could bring be a 5700 XT more success?

any ideas?

This post was modified 1 year ago

eGPU: Razer Core X Chroma with Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and AMD Radeon Vega 64 using internal Display
Windows 10 pro build 2004 .19619 (by Windows Insider fast ring programm) and MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 with Purge Wrangler

ReplyQuote
Vumad
(@vumad)

I am in need of help. I have my eGPU working on the mac side just fine but I can't get anything going on with windows. I have a code 12 and can't get past it. I'm not sure what to do.

I bought your program but it's for MBR not for EFI and my 2015 MacBook must be different than the one listed for that program.

I have a 2015 MacBook pro. No dGPU only the iGPU.

I have a Devilbox with a Sapphire 480 8gb. 

I hot plug on splash and get code 12. If I boot plugged in a get a black screen, hear windows noises so it's booting, just no display. I have an external monitor plugged in just incase but no visuals.

I did the DSDT override and have the large memory area.

I have disabled and re-enabled just about everything in device manager.

I can't say for sure I am doing the EFI boot right.

I have tried to download the drivers from the powercolor website for the devilbox. The mac drivers installed but the windows drivers are failing.

I tried the bededit forcedisable with no changes.

Not sure what else to try. Probably going to just put my card into a node 202 since the games I play are windows based and I can't get this to work.

ReplyQuote
Weekendiac
(@weekendiac)
Eminent Member

@vumad, Which Windows build is it?

So, if you have Windows 10 something higher than 18362.295, try to delete (deinstall) the latest Windows updates. You could do that with “Windows updates”.

More Details you will get here:

Downgrade to Win10 18362.295 if see eGPU error code 12 after a Win10update to 1903/1909 as explained.

ReplyQuote
anonymousse
(@anonymousse)

Hi! Thanks for your tutorial!! I followed it step by step.

I am currently facing a problem; when I try to boot without any eGpu attached, windows symply cannot boot. I precise that I am still experiencing error 12 when my eGpu is attached. I did not desactivate the PCI port of my dGpu because it was not visible in the peripheric manager.

Is there any script I could run to use Windows without attaching my eGpu?

Thanks a lot for your help Smile

MacBook Pro 11,5 (Mid 2015 with AMD Radeon R9 M370X)
eGPU: Razer Core X with Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and AMD Radeon RX Vega 56 using external Display

ReplyQuote
Weekendiac
(@weekendiac)
Eminent Member

@anonymousse

I changed startup.nsh by going to the folder in terminal and enter:

nano startup.nsh

to the following: 

echo -off

fs0:

\EFI\Boot\apple_set_os.efi

stall 1000000

mm 00010122 2 ;PCI :BA10 -n

mm 00010124 2 ;PCI :BA20 -n

mm 00010126 2 ;PCI :DC10 -n

mm 7C2 ;IO :1 -n

mm 7D4 ;IO :28 -n

mm 7C2 ;IO :2 -n

mm 7D4 ;IO :10 -n

mm 7C2 ;IO :2 -n

mm 7D4 ;IO :40 -n

mm 7C2 ;IO :1 -n

mm 7D4 ;IO :50 -n

mm 7C2 ;IO :0 -n

mm 7D4 ;IO :50 -n

if not %lasterror% == 0 then

reset -w

endif

\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

If my eGPU is not plugged in, the system will start to windows, sometimes just after the second start, but it will start.

Just try it.

ReplyQuote
Weekendiac
(@weekendiac)
Eminent Member

@goalque, where can I search the correct mm commands for the AMD Radeon Vega 64?

And could you please be so kind to explain the different mm rows and their functions?

So I had understood that :

rows 5-7 are for cards which needs bigger memory

rows 8-13 to change the gmux state (whatever that in detail means)

rows 14-17 to power off the dGPU.

Although I am happy with my RX 580, I must change the script, to get my Vega 64 run and eliminate error 12.

ReplyQuote
 of  13