Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

Notifications
Clear all

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread  

of  7
  RSS

Alexander Quessy
(@alexander_quessy)

Has anyone had any further success with this method on a 2018 13 inch MBP with a radeon VII in core X chroma

I have been trying several automate.sh scripts including @weekendiac one above and the igpu recomendation earlier (shown below) along with the first automate.sh script but have had no success.

I have windows installed onto an external ssd and also have the 2 on seperate sides of the thunderbolt port. My monitor is the LG ultrafine 27 inch so only has tb ports as well, I'm not sure if this might be an issue ie do you have to take dp out. 

Is there a set procedure for the eGPU with a radeon VII ie should it be on before boot or hot plug after boot etc?

Thanks for everyones help

echo -off

fs0:

stall 1000000

\EFI\Boot\apple_set_os.efi

if not %lasterror% == 0 then

reset -w

endif

\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi

13" Mid 2018, 4 TB3 Ports, Quad-Core i7, Razer Core X Chroma eGPU with Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
Vumad
(@vumad)

@weekendiac

Okay, so I removed bootcamp 1909 and I set it up fresh with 1903 .30 via the information you gave me.

It worked for a moment and then completely stopped functioning and kept crashing. I disabled the camera in device manager and everything was working quite well.

However, I had to run for a bit, and when I came back, my PC was asleep. I woke it up but the eGPU wont show up in device manager. I removed all USB devices, rebooted, hot plugged, not hot plugged, scanned for hardware changes, etc. Everything was working, but went to sleep and now it wont even detect. Any known solutions? So far nothing in my google searches is answering this.

Edit: Apparently the answer was to shut everything down, including the power to the eGPU enclosure, let it sit for a bit. Maybe the enclosure itself has some sort of memory to it. Anyway, it's working now thanks to your answers and I disabled sleep while connected to power.

This post was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Weekendiac
(@weekendiac)
Eminent Member

@vumad, yes, you did right! The energy management does not work with eGPU and Windows. Maybe anyone has a solution that for, but actually you need to reboot system. 
So better deactivate energy rules in Windows. 👍🏻

By the way, all the compliments on the UEFISHELL-script „startup.nsh“ and apple_set_os.efi  belongs to @goalque, who made a fantastic work here!🥰

MacBook Pro 11,5 (15“ Mid 2015 with AMD Radeon R9 M370X, 16GB, 1TB SSD)
eGPU: Razer Core X Chroma with Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and AMD Radeon Vega 64 using internal Display
Windows 10 pro build 2004 .19619 (by Windows Insider fast ring programm) and MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 with Purge Wrangler

ReplyQuote
Weekendiac
(@weekendiac)
Eminent Member

@alexander_quessy, welcome to eGPU.io!

Try the whole startup.nsh from page 1 of this thread and delete the # in rows 4-6. Maybe then you will succeed! Although this is written for a MacBook Pro mid 2015, you will have a Good chance. Otherwise take a look at the rest of this thread, there are many links in it to other very good solutions (i.e. only use Windows build 1903 until .295).
Please create your signature so that it will be easier for all of us, to give you matching solutions.

eGPU: Razer Core X Chroma with Apple TB3 to TB2 adapter and AMD Radeon Vega 64 using internal Display
Windows 10 pro build 2004 .19619 (by Windows Insider fast ring programm) and MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 with Purge Wrangler

ReplyQuote
Alexander Quessy
(@alexander_quessy)

@weekendiac, Thanks for your response.

I have changed the automate.sh to the original one on page 1 with uncommented lines. Do you know how to get the 1903 install, I can see the Windows 10 Version 1903 for x64-based Systems (KB4512508) on the microsoft update catalog but I receive an error if I double click to run it. The disk image ISO on https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/egpu-fail-after-update-to-windows-19-03/ links to https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php but this too appears not available. Am I missing something obvious here, unfortunately I cant restore to earlier as the ISO I downloaded from microsoft is the 1909 image. Thanks a lot for all your help. I should have a signature here now too. 

13" Mid 2018, 4 TB3 Ports, Quad-Core i7, Razer Core X Chroma eGPU with Radeon VII

ReplyQuote
Weekendiac
(@weekendiac)
Eminent Member

@alexander_quessy, You have 2 ways, that I had experienced successfully.

1) Try to deinstall the Windows updates by using border tool Windows Update or

2) Update to Windows 1909 - the latest version - and change, if every update is installed, the file pci.sys.

• Open install.wim with 7-Zip
  • Mount the Image and then extract the following file
  • X:\sources\install.wim\1\Windows\System32\drivers\pci.sys
  • After updating Windows to 1903/1909 boot from an "Emergency" USB-Drive and replace Windows\System32\drivers\pci.sys with the extract one.
  • Reboot and your AMD eGPU will working.

Download Any Windows ISOs:

If you need to download Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO (OS Build 18362.30) use this link - https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php

If you need more information, then you will get lucky here.

ReplyQuote
Alexander Quessy
(@alexander_quessy)

@weekendiac, thanks for your help. 

All working now Ill try and write up a build guide for what I did over the next couple of days. 

I reinstalled windows in the end, for some reason the 1903 ISO wasnt working yesterday morning but worked in the afternoon, very unusual?

I have a slight audio stutter problem I think its the mac drivers though. 

Thanks v much for your help don't think I could of got it working otherwise. 

ReplyQuote
robboerman
(@robboerman)

Hi all, just wanted to do a massive thanks to the contributors of this thread. After going through just about every conceivable scenario I managed to get it to work.

Currently my eGPU is running on the x4 PCI bridge, I had to disable the x16 PCI bridge to get it to work. Then with the apple_set_os and startup.nsh settings from @goalque the EGPU came to live.I am still wondering if I am getting all the performance out of the EGPU when running on the x4 bridge but anything other than that give me code 12, even when plugging it into a different TB3 port attached to the PCI x8 bridge. Running Asgards Wrath on High setting (Epic gives me too much stutter).

Good luck to anyone attempting the same. If you follow the advice of the guys in this thread you will get there. Do make sure you have Windows 1903 18262.30, disable the AMD GPU (using apple_set_os), disable any PCI bridge you don't need and plug in your EGPU before starting up.

MacBook Pro 15 (Mid 2018, Radeon Pro 455 2 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB) 16GB, quad core i7
eGPU: Razer Core X, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT

ReplyQuote
tanukilandslide
(@tanukilandslide)

I've been having trouble with this step, too. Whenver I use sudo nano Volumes/EFI Boot/startup.nsh and hit ctrl + O, it won't write. When I erase the directory and have it write, it creates the file but the file has no lines in it and the file size is zero. Am I missing something? Is there another way to create the startup.nsh?

Thanks for the help!

computer: Mid 2015 Macbook Pro 15"
egpu: Razer Core X + TB3 to TB2 adapter + Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 xt

ReplyQuote
Weekendiac
(@weekendiac)
Eminent Member

@tanukilandslide, I am always doing it a little bit different. Hope that will help you:

Open terminal and write:

sudo mountesp 

then

cd /Volumes/ESP/EFI/Boot

then

nano startup.nsh

then Type ctrl+o and then press Enter to save.

That should work, if the folder of your startup.nsh ist the same.

ReplyQuote
 of  7