New 3060 Ti not detected at all in Bootcamp

Notifications
Clear all

New 3060 Ti not detected at all in Bootcamp  

RSS

(@jake_shuman)

I have been using a stock Aorus Gaming Box 1070 with my 2020 13" MacBook Pro with Bootcamp for several years with minimal issues. I have recently been trying to upgrade the card to a 3060 Ti while keeping the same enclosure, but I'm not having much luck. The laptop is not able to detect the card at all in device manager. The GPU fans don't spin up, and the enclosure LEDs don't turn on, but the PSU fan does spin. I've tried both hot-plugging and cold-plugging (with significant pause in between) and had the same result with both. I also tried the setup with an HP laptop which also has TB3, but no luck there either. The enclosure successfully provides power to both computers. The old 1070 can be reinstalled and works fine with both computers. I also tried installing the 3060 Ti in a friend's desktop and it was detected there. I was thinking it might be a PSU issue? It's a 450W supply. I see that Nvidia recommends a 600W at minimum, but that's as part of a complete build, right? Looks like a 450W should be fine in an eGPU (significantly higher than the 200W peak draw from the card). I've also seen people perform this exact upgrade without issue, so I'm not sure any of that should actually be a problem. Does anyone have any ideas, or anything else I can test? Thanks in advance!

Setup:

• Computer: 2020 13" MacBook Pro
    • Processor: Intel i5-1038NG7
    • RAM: 16GB 
    • OS: Windows 10 Education 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1415) via Bootcamp
  • Enclosure: Aorus Gaming Box 1070
    • PSU: Enhance Electronics ENP-7145B1
  • GPU 1: Asus RTX 3060 Ti Dual Mini V2 OC (Not working)
  • GPU 2: Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini ITX (Working)

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
bootz
(@bootz)
Trusted Member

Here is my story

TL;DR - If you are on a TB3 system, it is most definitely related to power. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to solve the issue on my intended use case, a TB2 iMac from 2015. But on my Dell XPS 13, I was able to install the 3060 Ti without issue as long as the power brick was charging the laptop. I think the AORUS Gaming Box will use up to 100W for power delivery. If you can ensure the MBP is being charged from another source, you should be able to get the setup to work.

I was able to get this combination to work once with my TB2 setup. It is driving me kind of crazy, and even though it may not solve the issue, I'm thinking of buying a 600W Enhance Flex PSU just to button up the project. The one time I was able to get the 3060 Ti to work on my TB2 iMac, Windows froze almost immediately on reboot (Windows logo and two spinning dots).

Good luck...

Edit: Wanted to add it has something to do with the initial install as it relates to Windows and TB3. After the drivers were installed, I was able to unplug the power brick from the laptop and the eGPU provided plenty of power to charge the laptop and power the 3060 Ti. Maybe I'll sell you the Enhance NP 7660B at a discount after it doesn't solve my problem 🙁

iMac 4k 2015 - 21.5" (iGPU only)
i5-5675R @ 3.10 GHz
8 GB RAM
Aorus Gaming Box 1070 via TB3 > TB2 adapter
...also 1 successful session with 3060 Ti, honest!: /> Windows 10.0.17134

ReplyQuote
(@jake_shuman)

@bootz

Thanks for the reply! Every time I've tried it, the MacBook was being charged by its own dedicated power adapter. If the deciated adapter is disconnected, though, the egpu is able to power the computer instead. Even if the egpu is deciating 100W to charge the laptop, shouldn't the 350W remaining be enough to power the card? Or is that gonna be cutting it close?

I do have an old 2015 TB2 MacBook pro that I also used to use with the 1070. If you think it could help, I could dig that guy out and see if I have any luck. That way we'd eliminate the egpu->laptop power complication, right?

Thank you again. Good luck with your build as well!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
bootz
(@bootz)
Trusted Member

@jake_shuman

That was my experience as well with the Dell. If I didn't have the power brick connected, the eGPU w/ 3060 Ti powered/charged the laptop, but otherwise was dead (no lights/fans/connection in Device Manager. I thought I read somewhere that Mac hardware will choose the USB-C connection that is providing the most power when choosing which port to use. So, maybe the Aorus Gaming Box is providing more power than the Apple charger, and therefore when you connect the eGPU it also takes on the responsibility of power delivery? 

Well, I did order the 600W Enhance PSU so I'll keep everyone up to date with how it impacts the TB3 Dell and TB2 iMac.

i5-5675R @ 3.10 GHz
8 GB RAM

ReplyQuote
(@jake_shuman)

@bootz

It didnt work with TB2 either, so that means it's probably not an issue with the laptop drawing too much power 😕 . Any other ideas? I might try getting an inexpensive, more powerful PSU and hopefully returning it if that doesn't help.

ReplyQuote
bootz
(@bootz)
Trusted Member

@jake_shuman

So I have some news! I received and installed the 600W Enhance Flex PSU.

1. The 600W PSU is not compatible with the card that comes with the Aorus Gaming Box 1070 (Gigabyte Mini ITX GTX 1070), at least without some modification. I'm not sure if it is the motherboard connector or PCI-E connector.

2. The extra power does in fact solve the problem of the 3060 Ti not appearing in Device Manager when the laptop receives no other power, at least with the Dell XPS 13 9350! With the 600W power supply, the Gaming Box is able to fully charge the laptop and run the card with no issue - it popped up immediately in Device Manager. I even tested from a cold boot (powered down the laptop, disconnected TB3, reconnected TB3, turn on Dell XPS 13 9350. The GPU immediately powered on and was available for use in Windows without any other power source. For example:  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti LHR(1x) and Intel Core i5-6200U Processor - No Power Brick.

3. Unfortunately for me, it had absolutely zero effect on solving my error code 12 and error code 31 problems in Bootcamp. Windows also freezes if I have the 600W + 3060 Ti connected during boot - exactly the same as with the standard 450W power supply.

Whether any of this will solve your problem, I don't know. I'm pretty confident the 600W PSU would power up your card in Bootcamp. The question is, would you be able to avoid the error codes? It seems to impact many Bootcamp installations across multiple generations. 

i5-5675R @ 3.10 GHz
8 GB RAM

ReplyQuote