[New Build] 2017 13" MBP Touchbar + Razer Core X + RX 480 4GB

Notifications
Clear all

[New Build] 2017 13" MBP Touchbar + Razer Core X + RX 480 4GB  

RSS

Jackson Ding
(@jackson_ding)

Should this build work? I'm primarily concerned with driving an external monitor, so the build-in display not being accelerated is not a big deal.

https://egpu.io/boot-camp-egpu-setup-guide/ According to this guide, using AMD on Windows Bootcamp can be a big hassle (esp. Error 12), and that I should expect almost the worst case scenario in terms of allocating resources, since I have 4 TB ports (the only worse case would be the 2016 MBP). Since the guide has been updated as of July, I expect that all of the problems are still current?

I'm expecting the following headaches:

• Might need to downgrade Win 10 to an older version, such as 1803
  • Might need to manually disable devices in Device Manager, even with Large Memory Allocation support
  • Might need to install some hacks (DSDT?)

Is that true? I'm about to buy a Core X and want to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into.

PS: I see the PowerColor Gaming Station is a lot cheaper than the Core X, but the reviews are mixed. Is it really that much worse than the Core X in terms of USBs? The Core X is always the #1 sold device on this website's homepage, just wondering what the reasons are since eGPU enclosures seem like commodities (the controller is made by Intel, and everything else is neatly described by the specs such as PD wattage, max GPU wattage, etc).

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@jackson_ding, Razer has a better name recognition than the other manufacturer. Different markets have different availability and pricing too. My recommendation is to compare what's available to your local market and check our reviews or members' experience with each eGPU enclosure you're considering. Look at the build guides for similar component pairings with your 2017 13-in MacBook Pro for setup procedure. I have that laptop for a while and it can work well in Boot Camp running a Radeon eGPU with Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote
darkjz
(@darkjz)

I currently am running a 2017 15" MBP Touchbar + Razer Core X + RX 7900.  

The main pain was installing the drivers in Windows, but afterwards all worked out!  

Best wishes!

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX 6900 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 20H2 // Minor Hardware mod [build link]  

ReplyQuote