Notifications
Clear all

[Newbie] iMac 2020 (i7/RP5700XT) looking for FPS Upgrade on external Screen  

of  2
  RSS

Edwardblake
(@edwardblake)

Good day folks,

first things first, i´m new to the eGPU-Buisness and this is my first Post here. I´ve read quit a few things about a good Setup but before i go on and buy everything i wanted an expert opinion or some fruitfull discussions on my planned system extension. 

Setup: iMac 2020 8c i7 10700k/24GB RAM/16GB Radeon Pro 5700XT + External 27" 5k Display

Currently i´m playing games on the iMac´s internal Screen and have additional Information on my second 5k Display (eg. Discord, Temps, Browser etc.) - due to the fact that looping back the graphics to the internal screen wont bring an FPS bump i´m planning to invert the setup. 

Gaming on 5k external Screen - Informations on the internal screen. I plan to invest in an Razer Core X plus an nVidia 3070ti

Main Objectiv is to Outperform the internal GPU (reference Game would be WoW in 5k) Currently it is playable in 5k with mid to High settings in 30-60 FPS but then the Fan is pumping heavy (only to cooldown the GPU) CPU is kinda idling at 30-40%. 

Is there Hope that an nvidia eGPU system works fine for that oBjective (mainly Gaming in Windows, everything else is nice to have) and no, i dont want to build an extra Gaming PC. 

I appreciate every reply,

at your services,

Edward "Eddy" Blake Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@edwardblake, Sounds fun 😀 

For some reference, there is another 2020 iMac + Nvidia 3000 series build posted here:

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2020-27-imac-rp-5500xt-10th10c-rtx-3090-32gbps-tb3-razer-core-x-win10-20h2/#post-96586

It was running fine on a recent version of Windows (20H2).

I’d also update MacOS on your iMac to Big Sur if it’s not already. 

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RP W5500 (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.6 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RP W5500 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Edwardblake
(@edwardblake)

@mini-i5

great, 

yes i already took a closer look on that build. The beefy 3090 is a little bit expensive but the configuration seems to be good working. In the end when the only thing is to hot Plug egpu every time i need it, sounds perfect to me. 

Plug and Play, hehe. 

Question: Do i need to reinstall Windows for some onstances or might it just be fine setting up the Razer Core X - hot plug the nvidia card, install on to it the nvidia drivers und restart/hot plug again? This is the essence i take from the build.

thanks for your reply,

Edward "Eddy" Blake Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@edwardblake, If you have Windows 20H2 or 21H1 installed, you're ready to set up a new Nvidia card and Core X

But - the bigger challenge is setting up a 5K external display for use in Windows with an eGPU. It's a big deal.

So...for now, you'll be able to find more info on this site, as other members have discussed the topic in detail. 🖥 

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RP W5500 (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Big Sur 11.6 + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RP W5500 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Edwardblake
(@edwardblake)

Posted by: @mini-i5

@edwardblake, If you have Windows 20H2 or 21H1 installed, you're ready to set up a new Nvidia card and Core X

But - the bigger challenge is setting up a 5K external display for use in Windows with an eGPU. It's a big deal.

So...for now, you'll be able to find more info on this site, as other members have discussed the topic in detail. 🖥 

Why should be the external Monitor be an Issue? The dGPU Powers currrently Both - external ok 5K 

or is there something with the bandwith Wrong. I know that it is impossible to Power a 5K internal Screen with an eGPU 

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@edwardblake, your iMac can route the 5700 XT dGPU video output to either TB3 port, providing a simple way to connect your external 5K display.

But a typical eGPU setup does not include TB3 output or the same routing capability (other than the much less powerful Blackmagic eGPU, and Sonnet Breakaway Pucks, which are difficult to set up in Windows anyway).

There’s discussions in these threads:

https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/2018-mini-with-ultrafine-5k/

https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-peripherals/are-there-any-egpus-besides-blackmagic-that-can-power-the-lg-ultrafine-5k/

ReplyQuote
Edwardblake
(@edwardblake)

@edwardblake, your iMac can route the 5700 XT dGPU video output to either TB3 port, providing a simple way to connect your external 5K display.

But a typical eGPU setup does not include TB3 output or the same routing capability (other than the much less powerful Blackmagic eGPU, and Sonnet Breakaway Pucks, which are difficult to set up in Windows anyway).

There’s discussions in these threads:

https://egpu.io/forums/bootcamp/2018-mini-with-ultrafine-5k/

https://egpu.io/forums/gpu-monitor-peripherals/are-there-any-egpus-besides-blackmagic-that-can-power-the-lg-ultrafine-5k/

Ah now i know what you mean - im trying Not to Power an LG Ultra Fine 5K Display. I Build an external 5K Monitor with an empty iMac housing and an Factory Screen and driver board from aliexpress

so i Can connect the Display Directly via DP1.4 with the graficscard.  

This should solve the TB-Display issues

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@edwardblake, Cool 😎

Feel free to add any details about the process and components involved in assembling your custom 5K display. 👍🏻

ReplyQuote
Edwardblake
(@edwardblake)

@edwardblake, Cool 😎

Feel free to add any details about the process and components involved in assembling your custom 5K display. 👍🏻

When i´m getting my eGPU setup, i will post a detailed build and where to get the components of my "imac 5k lookalike Display" Smile

ReplyQuote
Edwardblake
(@edwardblake)

Okay Guys, 

im facing some issues - i got my Razer Core X and an MSI 3070 ti. 

But i got the Error Code 12 when Plugged in. Is there an special move for Nvidia Cards? 

Currently my Setup steps was:

Hot Plug eGPU and then Install all the drivers. (Sidenote: the Nvida Control Panel wont start...?) Are there any Tips on how to fix this? 

Thank you in Advance Smile

Lets get this Baby to Work...

ReplyQuote
 of  2