Newbie needs overview (MBP 2016 15", Aikitio Node, Nvidia 1080)

Notifications
Clear all

Newbie needs overview (MBP 2016 15", Aikitio Node, Nvidia 1080)  

RSS

ludzeller
(@ludzeller)

Dear eGPU pros,

A newbie has a quick question. I have a MBP 2016 15", Aikitio Node and Nvidia 1080 here and would like to set them up for Windows 10 Home 64 Bit.

I have seen many, many guides, but none of them looked really easy. So my question is, what is the status quo of this as of end of 2017? What's the easiest procedure and when will it become even easier? Have I missed something? 

The thing that put me off the most was the note in one of the guides that I have to re-activate something in the device manager each time I leave Windows, otherwise I could not return...

Or should I get another case like the Mantiz? Would that make it easier?

Thanks a lot!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
nando4
(@nando4)
Noble Member Admin

Welcome aboard. @itsage has the definitive guide for configuring your system. Pay attention to the linked DSDT override solution in solving error 12 mentioned there and the blurb that goes along with it which can then circumvent some complexity (disabling bridges, booting apple_set_os.efi, gmux-switch, etc):

https://egpu.io/bootcamp-setup-guide-tb3-macbook-pro/

eGPU Setup 1.35    •    eGPU Port Bandwidth Reference Table

2015 15" Dell Precision 7510 (Q M1000M) [6th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 Ti @32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 1803 // compares M.2 vs TB3 performance inc unoptimized H-CPU BIOS [build link]  

ReplyQuote
ludzeller
(@ludzeller)

Thanks for the prompt reply!

This looks great, but still has the no-return to windows 10 caveat... Learning about safe points was interesting though. Will give it a go.

So this is the current gold standard and works for most of the eGPU cases, including the aikitio? Node?

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ludzeller, most Thunderbolt 3 eGPU enclosures are the same as far compatibility goes. The differences are in power supplies and expansion ports. During the testing process to write that guide, I've tried a mixed of GPUs and enclosures to make sure it's applicable for most setups [link].

Do you plan on using the eGPU with your 15" MacBook Pro's internal display or an external monitor? External monitor setup is much easier. I've since found when you're stuck at Windows boot up because the dGPU was not re-enabled, you can connect an external monitor to the eGPU so that you can get to the Desktop.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 15" ASUS TUF Dash F15 [11th,4C,H] + RTX 3080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (AORUS Gaming Box) + Win10 2004 // my 3rd RTX 3080 build [build link]  

ReplyQuote