NVIDIA egpu making very slim differnces, imac 2017 bootcamp.

Notifications
Clear all

NVIDIA egpu making very slim differnces, imac 2017 bootcamp.  

RSS

eli powers
(@eli_powers)

Im running a gtx 1660 super with an iMac 2017, which has a i5-7400. Im aware of the cpu and tb3 bottleneck here but somethings off. When benchmarking i receive similar scores to a desktop result, but when running games, mainly cpu heavier (NOTE: Heavierrrr), the game performance is not as much as it should be. Ive seen videos on line with my exact specs (1660 super paired with an i5-7400), and the performance is about 45% better. Im aware of the TB3 bottleneck but seen by the benchmarks its only 5-10%. When running Fortnite my CPU percent wonders around 90ish and my gpu is around 40-50%. AT first i thought it was maybe still running on the igpu but its not. I maybe missing something and theres maybe a fix that im missing but please let me know if you have any suggestions. I am using an external display btw. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@eli_powers, Are you using an external monitor with the eGPU? The GTX 1660 isn't that much better than the dGPU so through internal display mode, the performance loss will make gains negligible. 

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 6700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (CM MasterCase EG200) + Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
eli powers
(@eli_powers)

@itsage, yes I am using an external display that is directly plugged in to the 1660 super. Any other reasons the perf differences are so minimal right now. I’m just confused on how I see gameplay of people using the same specs and getting double the FPS. Is the IMac cpu significantly slower than if that cpu was in a desktop pc? Is there a way fortnite isn’t getting the NVIDIA booster something. But again the igpu is disabled so I doubt this is the issue. Also the 1660 runs fortnite at a 137% increase and the total increase in performance in aroumd 430% (4.5). Again, confused why it’s doing this.

This post was modified 1 month ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@eli_powers

Fortnite is def a beast. How many FPS are you getting? At what resolution and settings?

Here’s my typical frame rates with a couple AMD cards at 4K epic settings:

Vega 56 : 27 FPS 

5500 XT : 21 FPS 

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
eli powers
(@eli_powers)

@mini-i5, I’m running all low because I don’t really care about how the game looks, just simply want to play it. I’m getting around 160 in creative stable, but when I get in an actual game my FPS goes all over the place. Is there any way I can fix this? I’ve been doing more research just now and saw that increasing the resolution would help FPS because it would make the Gpu run harder. Is that true? I’m new to all of this so sorry if I seem dumb lol.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@eli_powers

You might try that. 

Since you’re after the best possible frame rate, there’s a couple other  easy adjustments you might try.

Fortnite has a Performance mode option.

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/fortnite-performance-mode-boosts-pc-fps

Also, to keep my CPU cool and prevent thermal throttling and decreased performance, I use the Macs Fan Control free app set to the Full Blast preset during gaming.

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 11.1 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
eli powers
(@eli_powers)

@mini-i5, I am currently on performance mode and it works great but I’m still recieving unstable and bad performance from the egpu. I also am using Mac fan control on full blast. Is there anything else I can do besides increasing the resolution? I’m still confused on why gameplay with an i5-7400 and 1660 super have like 100-200 FPS more than I get. I’m guessing it’s due to the tb3 bottleneck but that’s only 10-15%. Anything I can do?

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@eli_powers

The annoying part is how sensitive Fortnite performance is to the Nvidia driver version. Certain drivers have much better performance. And not necessarily the latest version.

It’s kind of a pain searching through the Nvidia.com user forums trying to find what driver people say is best for 1660S and Fortnite. But that seems to be where things are...

ReplyQuote
eli powers
(@eli_powers)

@mini-i5, alright I’ll mess around and look when I can. But I cant even access windows right now. By any chance could you help. I posted another forum explaining my issue, if you could possibly click on my profile and see that post I’d appreciate it. I don’t know what to do and I’m really stressing.

ReplyQuote