Oculus Link eGPU and 2014 MacBook Pro Driver Problem

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Oculus Link eGPU and 2014 MacBook Pro Driver Problem  

RSS

pixxelpusher
(@pixxelpusher)

As a preface my eGPU setup is working extremely well after ironing out a few bugs, I'm only running it in BootCamp but everything system wide seems to be working apart from one thing. Oculus Link won't run as the software tells me I need to install "new" drivers. But these drivers (v388.31) are from 2017! 

I've ran DDU a few times to clear things out and reinstalled the latest Nvidia Game Ready drivers but I still get the message. When I launch Oculus Link I just end up in an empty back void. Does anyone know what's the problem and how to bypass the Oculus driver check?

It's odd as I had it all working fine in the past. I could run it with no problems at all. It's like Oculus has changed something in recent updates maybe?

I can run games in Steam fine, and even still play VR games through Virtual Desktop no probs (apart from the Oculus games of course, they just don't load).

I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 (Version 20H2 / OS build 19042.685), Nvidia GeForce driver v461.09 and running it all out to a 2K monitor on the eGPU with a GTX 1070 attached.

Oculus Drivers Message

2014 15" MacBook Pro (2.8Ghz i7, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Geforce GT 750M)
eGPU: AKiTiO Thunder2 + GTX 1070

ReplyQuote
pixxelpusher
(@pixxelpusher)

Ok after much trial and error, a very late night and a lot of hair pulling I've found a solution that's working for me!

1 - In Device Manager / Display Adapters disable Microsoft Basic Display Adapter (I'm assuming this is the dedicated graphics card).

2 - In Task Manager select OVRServer_x64.exe and End Task (You could end all the running Oculus tasks, but this is the one that matters).

3 - Quickly while the OVRServer isn’t running launch the Oculus app and it will do a "Oculus App Status" check.

4 - Once the Oculus app launches the driver message is now gone and you can connect through Link.

This has also worked after a restart, as the Microsoft Basic Display Adapter has remained disabled and Oculus no longer shows the driver message. So it appears you only need to do these steps once.

Some other steps I did that I'm not sure helped was I ran a repair on the Oculus install by going into C: drive / Program Files / Oculus and running the OculusSetup.exe and selected "Repair" from the menu. It then did a 5GB download and restarted the app. 

I also went into the Windows Settings / System / Display / Graphic Settings and set OculusClient.exe, OVRServer_x64.exe, OVR Service Launcher, and OVR Redir all to the GTX 1070 GPU High Performance setting. Not sure if this does anything, but can't hurt.

Also, have worked out this has also fixed the Nvidia Control panel not opening, which now opens fine for me.

2014 15" MacBook Pro (2.8Ghz i7, 16GB Ram, 1TB SSD, Geforce GT 750M)
eGPU: AKiTiO Thunder2 + GTX 1070

ReplyQuote