Please, help with MacBook Pro Mid-2017, 13-inch, no Touch Bar + Boot Camp + AMD ...

Notifications
Clear all

[Solved] Please, help with MacBook Pro Mid-2017, 13-inch, no Touch Bar + Boot Camp + AMD eGPU installation  

RSS

murtiuso
(@murtiuso)

Hello everybody.

I ask for your help, please, to succeed with a MacBook Pro 13-inch from 2017 no Touch Bar after many attempts and many days wasted.

I am not sure if this is how I should ask for help.

In Mac OS everything works correctly, with which everything works correctly (Thunderbolt port, graphics card, case ...).

THE FIXED COMPONENTS OF MY SYSTEM ARE THE FOLLOWING:

HARDWARE

MacBook Pro Mid-2017, 13-inch, no Touch Bar, 2.3 I5 CPU, Iris Plus 640 iGPU, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD

eGFX enclosure Breakaway box 550

Gigabyte RX 580 gaming 8 GB

External screen LG UHD 24 inches, 24ud58, connected by DisplayPort.

SOFTWARE

Mac OS 11.4 Big Sur

VARIABLE COMPONENTS

SOFTWARE

Windows 10 versions:

1903_v1 (10.0.18362.30)

1903_v2 (10.0.18362.356)

1809 (1.0.17763.1)

Used drivers

2021, 2020 and 2019 versions of https://www.bootcampdrivers.com

Versions May and April 2021 from the official website of AMD.

HARDWARE

USB-C hub with 3 USB 3 ports, HDMI, VGA and Ethernet dodocool (I think it's a poop).

PROCEDURE IN EACH INSTALLATION

1) - I use a "reliable" Version of Windows 10 for the Boot Camp installation on my MacBook Pro downloaded from https://tb.rg-adguard.net/public.php .

2) - I use Boot Camp Assistant to create a 42 GB partition. I let Mac reboot. I choose Windows Pro Home single language, I let Windows install without anything connected to the Thunderbolt ports, without entering any network, I let reboot, I let Windows install the Boot Camp drivers, I let Windows reboot.

3) - I look for Services, I go below, where Windows update and from manual I pass it to disabled. In most tests I also tell Windows not to automatically download the manufacturer's custom apps and icons for my devices (Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Hardware -> Device Installation Settings -> NOT 

4) - I go back to Mac OS and with Paragon CampTune I resize the Windows partition so that it has 64 GB (so that it fits according to what game without having to connect an external disk, because I usually get problems when I connect a disk or something to the Thunderbolt port left free).

5) - Reboot in Mac OS Recovery Partition, disable SIP and reboot normally in Mac OS. 

6) - I download rEFInd 0.13.2. I mount the EFI partition with EFI Mounter v3.1. I copy the files needed for my machine into the EFI folder inside the EFI partition.

The structure of my EFI partition is as follows:

EFI folder

APPLE folder

CACHES folder

EXTENSIONS folder

Firmware.scap

FIRMWARE folder

MBP141.fd

LOG folder

UPDATERS folder

MULTIUPDATER folder

Boot folder

bootx64.efi

Microsoft folder

Boot folder

Recovery folder

BCD

Refind folder

Drivers_x64 folder

ext2_x64.efi

ext4_x64.efi

LICENSE_GPL.txt

LICENSE.txt

Folder icons

Icons-backup folder

Tools_x64 folder

gptsync_x64.efi

refind_x64.efi

refind.conf

refind with-sample

7) - In the refind.conf file I remove the # to uncomment the line:

spoof_osx_version

(I have tried putting at the end, without quotes, " 10.9", " 11.3" and not putting anything after spoof_osx_version, in the latter case, rEFInd by itself adds the Mac OS version, that is, in this case rEFInd me adds 11.4).

8) - I bless rEFInd.

9) - Restart and rEFInd appears. I choose Windows,

10) - I activate the Wifi and I download DDU version 18.0.3.9 from https://www.wagnardsoft.com .

11) - With the shift key pressed, I press the shutdown button, I click on restart and when the menu appears in blue, I release shift key. I choose Troubleshoot -> Advanced Options -> Startup Settings -> Restart.

I choose 4.

12) - I run the compressed DDU file as administrator and extract its content.

13) - I run DDU as administrator.

In the preferences that appear, I leave everything as is, except "Remove PhysX" and "Remove AMD Audio Bus", which enable them.

I choose GPU and NVIDIA, click on Clean and DO NOT restart 2 times.

Now I choose AMD, click on Clean and DO NOT restart 2 times and then Clean and restart.

14) - Boot into Windows to install the AMD drivers (this step varies depending on the version of Windows I have used):

Versions 1903 -> COLD CONNECTION. I turn off the computer from Windows without eGPU connected, I connect the eGPU by cable to the Thunderbolt port closest to the TAB key, the one below, the one closest to me. I turn on the eGPU switch, turn on the Mac, choose the Windows partition in rEFInd. When loading the OS, Windows detects that there are new components and then I install the drivers that I have downloaded from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com -> Downloads -> Windows 10 -> 2021 drivers -> April 2021 (Best FPS). Restart with everything connected and you can see the external screen.

Version 1809 -> HOT CONNECTION. If I try a cold connection it gives me problems. I boot into Windows from rEFInd, let it load, I connect the eGPU cable to the Thunderbolt port closest to the TAB key, Windows detects that there is something there, I download the drivers from https://www.bootcampdrivers.com -> Downloads -> Windows 10 -> 2019 drivers (I have tried some from 2020 and 2021 and they have given me problems) -> for MacBook Pro with Vega & eGPU users (19.11.1) (I have tried others from 2019 but they have also given me problems) . I install everything except Radeon Relive. Right now I don't know how I did to make these drivers work, because there are so many combinations ... (turn off, disconnect, plug in when Windows loads - start with everything connected - activate clean installation - do not activate it - restart right after installation and unplug - turn off right after installation and unplugging - don't unplug and reboot or shutdown…)

15) - Without disabling anything at the moment, I download Steam and install Rise of the Tomb Rider to test the graphics card.

Mixed results.

Windows 1809 finished the test with low FPS.

With one of the Windows 1903, having disabled the FaceTime camera and / or the Broadcom Wifi, the test ended with accepdtable FPS.

The vast majority of the time, the test does not finish and puts the error of lack of resources / lack of memory.

From here, despair comes every time.

THIS IS COMMON IN ALL INSTALLATIONS.

I start by disabling the FaceTime camera: Control Panel -> Device Manager -> View -> Devices by Connection -> ACPI x64-based Computer -> ACPI Compliant Microsoft System -> Pci Bus -> Mobile 6th / 7th Generation Intel ( R) Processor Family I / O PCI Express Root Port # 10 - 9D19 -> FaceTime HD Camera

I'm getting out of resources / out of memory error (mainly this one)

If I disable Mobile 6th / 7th Generation Intel (R) Processor Family I / O PCI Express Root Port # 10 - 9D19 it gives me the same error.

Then I disable Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter if I am with Rise of the Tomb Rider, because it can be tested without an internet connection, but I do not disable it to test with World War Z: ACPI x64-based computer -> Microsoft system compatible with ACPI -> Pci Bus -> Mobile 6th / 7th Generation Intel (R) Processor Family I / O PCI Express Root Port # 9 - 9D18 -> Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter.

I'm getting out of resources / out of memory error (mainly this one)

If I disable Mobile 6th / 7th Generation Intel (R) Processor Family I / O PCI Express Root Port # 9 - 9D18 it gives me the same error.

I have tried disabling this only and this along with the previous one and the result is the same.

Next I try to disable Intel (R) Serial IO UART Host Controller - 9D27 -> Broadcom Serial Bus Driver over UART Bus Enumerator -> Radio Bluetooth, Intel (R) Serial IO UART Host Controller - 9D27 -> Broadcom Serial Bus Driver over UART Bus Enumerator

and Intel (R) Serial IO UART Host Controller - 9D27

Both individually and together with the above

The same errors

I disable High Definition Audio Driver -> Cirrus Logic CS8409 (AB 51)

Same errors

If I disable Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter and am going to test with Wolrd War Z, I plug a cheap USB-C hub into the Thunderbolt port above, closest to the screen, which has an Ethernet input, which I plug in and plug in a mouse .

Same mistakes

In Mobile 6th / 7th Generation Intel (R) Processor Family I / O PCI Express Root Port # 5 - 9D14 (where I have the eGPU connected) -> PCI to PCI Bridge, they appear 4 times PCI to PCI Bridge. The bottom 2 don't show anything at all. I disable them as well.

Same errors.

I even disable the integrated graphics card and

Same errors.

I update Bootcamp and do the same again ...

I disable even more things and same errors.

Really, I'm desperate now, what am I doing wrong? What happens in my machine, that I see that other people with my same machine are successful and I don't?

I have read these guides

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Zotac AMP Box Mini) + Win10 [itsage] // MBR vs GPT comparison

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 350) + Win10 [itsage]

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win10 [hornsandbraves]

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.14 & Win10 [taikuh] 

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [mar_kelp] // non-iGPU system with eGPU accelerated internal LCD 

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [Visvism]

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.13 & Win10 [breakaway] // Linux Kernel 4.15 

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX Vega 56 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [itsage] 

And some more that at the time I did not write down.

By the way, the AMD application for graphics recognizes the 8GB, in the display adapter it says that the device works correctly and the memory is large in resources per connection and it corresponds to AMD.

I have seen about updating firmware of the eGPU case: for mine on the official page there is no update.

I don’t know if I should update Thunderbolt drivers, I don’t see nothing about that.

Can someone help me step by step until I achieve success?

I have a hackintosh machine that gives me a number of problems / annoyances with OpenCore (which I think is great), but with an i3 6100U. I installed BigSur, but it was not going well. I am with Mojave, which in general works well, but it is not like a real Mac, I do not mean speed, but that the mere fact of updating the system does not go well, also that the OS has things that I do not like (I think that the best of such OS today is the 32-bit support for some games).

It is also a very large and noisy tower. It takes up space when I play, it looks bad and many times I am at night with the computer on watching movies and it makes a lot of noise (it collects dust but that is not the case, it is that the CPU has the fan that it had when I bought it, but I don't have money to buy something silent).

I would like to have the MacBook Pro as a computing solution, to which if I program (I am a newbie), I connect 2 external displays without the need for an eGPU, if I am going to play the games that go well on Mac, I play them on Mac, and that are better in Windows or they are made only for Windows, then in Windows, in both cases from eGPU, saving me a lot of space. The graphics card, in eGPU, can lose around 20% efficiency, that can be around 10 FPS in some games, but the CPU that is better than the MBP can help. Anyway, although the game is worse with MBP and eGPU, I prefer it to remove that junk and so much noise. Also in a few days the AMD FSR comes out, and a number of games may be even better on eGPU.

I've been reading for days, translating (English is not my mother language as you may have seen), testing... and not letting myself beat.

This time is not the 1st time I have tried it, I already tried it at least a two times a few months ago.

I'm not lazy or afraid to modify firmwares, walk through the bowels of the machine, write code (whatever they tell me, because I have no idea about this), create an SSDT if necessary…

I haven't tried Windows versions 1803 and 1709 yet, but at this point I thought it was a good time to ask.

Once I inadvertently booted from a partition with OpenCore, which made the apple logo from when it loads smaller, but I reset the NVRAM and it returned to normal, with which I do not think this has something to do, it was also before the installation of Big Sur, I think.

Right now I have Windows compressed, so that World War Z would fit, but this should not affect it at all, because on other occasions it was not compressed and the results were the same.

Please, don't take it the wrong way for those of you who want to help me, but don't make me go through procedures that can't help me, don't make me go through the same steps again and again and again and again ... they have not given good results, unless it is really necessary, and whoever tells me is an expert on the subject (I have seen that there are some real gurus, I put myself at their service with blind faith), do not take me to publications of more than 130 pages.

After all this I have several doubts:

What would be the best solution for me, to be able to do anything on a single portable machine, to be able to play on Mac, and for what cannot be played on Mac (with eGPU) to be able to play it on the same machine with another OS ( with eGPU)?, What version of Windows?, Another case that is more compatible Out of the Box with Windows or Linux using AMD GPU?, Is Linux good to play today?, Can Linux be installed and that it recognizes the eGPU without breaking your head too much and the games go decently? What drivers do I let use for Windows for which version of Windows?

If we can get my machine to go well with eGPU on non-Mac OS, if I buy a case that has its own connectors for USB and SSD, would it give me problems because it occupies PCI Express lanes?

If we can get this to work, how do I connect to the internet for some games (today I am playing DOTA 2 a lot) if I have to disconnect the Broadcom Wifi and when I connect a USB-C hub with Ethernet, it also gives me problems?

Is there a universal solution for AMD graphics that does nothing or little to do and always works on my MacBook Pro, at least on Windows? I mean rather a case that does magic has what it has inside, it connects to what it connects.

If instead of connecting the hub I have, I connected a decent brand USB-C hub with 2 USB 3 ports and an Ethernet, would I have the same problems as with the hub I have?

Would it be a good solution to play Windows games, install Linux and install such game there somehow, or install it on Mac and play it with Wine or some similar solution?

Thank you very much for everything and for reading this and dedicating part of your time to me (and other people around the world).

All my respect and admiration for all the people who have had to do with the solutions given to so many people, from the true gods in this field, to the most humble people who have contributed.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

MacBook Pro Mid-2017 13-inch no Touch Bar 2.3 I5 CPU Iris Plus 640 iGPU, eGFX Breakaway box 550, Gigabyte RX 580 gaming 8 GB, Mac OS 11.4 Big Sur

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@murtiuso, Sorry to hear of your struggle getting this setup to work. I no longer have the 2017 13-in nTB MacBook Pro to provide the most up-to-date procedure. I would say to start clean with Win10 1903 V1 again. Then disable PCI Express Root Port # 10 - 9D19 [connects to iSight camera]. Use automate-eGPU EFI loader on an USB external drive which contains apple_set_os.efi. Last is to make sure you connect RX 580 eGPU to lower TB3 port [closest to TAB key].

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 12.0 & Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
murtiuso
(@murtiuso)

@itsage, Thank you very much for your time.
I used the version of Windows you told me, with updates disabled, with PCI Express Root Port # 10 - 9D19 (iSight) disabled, with automate-eGPU and eGPU connect near to tab key, and it worked. All games worked without errors. A marvel, but I don't know what happens with Windows that without me having changed anything (that I know of), without having updated, one day it stopped working. I think my problem was using rEFind, which with "spoof_osx_version" I thought would be enough, but it seems not; you have to use automate-eGPU. I have preferred not to continue down that path, I prefer a safer path that does not give me problems later on. I will try one day to do an update or install Windows 11 to see how it goes, while I am going to leave the tower for games with Windows (although I have a partition with Mojave and OpenCore) not close to me because of the noise and space, and to the rest I will use the MacBook Pro 13 "2017. There I have the Windows partition, I will see later what I do with it.
I reiterate my gratitude to all the people who have worked so that so many people are a little happier, in this case with computer solutions.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago

MacBook Pro Mid-2017 13-inch no Touch Bar 2.3 I5 CPU Iris Plus 640 iGPU, eGFX Breakaway box 550, Gigabyte RX 580 gaming 8 GB, Mac OS 11.4 Big Sur

itsage liked
ReplyQuote