Question for those with stock AMD drivers in their 2016+ MacBook Pro

Notifications
Clear all

Question for those with stock AMD drivers in their 2016+ MacBook Pro  

RSS

teltersat
(@teltersat)
Eminent Member

Hey guys, I have a question regarding this particular combination under bootcamp. I have a 2017 15" MacBook Pro, and I found out that I can use the built-in display if I go with AMD's stock drivers, BUT it does not allow me to change the resolution, DPI and other related settings, and it has a sluggish performance. Is this the case with you? Do AMD drivers also work for your built-in display when you're disconnected from the eGPU?

This is the sole reason why I rely on BCD drivers, as they work when I have the eGPU connected, and with the built-in display when I'm on the go.

MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2017 15" + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + AMD Radeon Vega 64

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

@teltersat The stock drivers do not drive the internal GPU (hence no settings can be changed) - normal on bootcamp setups with these types of Macs. You can verify this if you look at Device Manager. Your dGPU should show up as Microsoft Basic Adapter. Bootcampdrivers include support for the internal GPUs.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
teltersat
(@teltersat)
Eminent Member

Yeah this is what I wanted to confirm. Thanks!

MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2017 15" + Mantiz Venus MZ-02 + AMD Radeon Vega 64

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote