Razer Core X + STRIX RX Vega 56 + iMac 21.5 4K (mid 2017)

Notifications

[Solved] Razer Core X + STRIX RX Vega 56 + iMac 21.5 4K (mid 2017)  

RSS

(@ingamer_02)

So I recently had the idea of getting a Razer Core X and a RX Vega 56 to connect them to my 21.5 4K (mid 2017) iMac only using internal display on Windows 10 Bootcamp, do you think it would work or are there incompatibilites with all these components ?

I already thank you for all feedback 😀 

This topic was modified 1 month ago

RX Vega 56 + Razer Core X + iMac 21.5 4K (mid 2017)

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ingamer_02 It’s possible with the use of modified Radeon graphics drivers from bootcampdrivers.com and Windows Hybrid Graphics feature. Also make sure to install Windows 10 1903 V1 ISO and don’t update beyond 18362.295 [link].

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@ingamer_02)

@itsage

Cool, thank you, i’ll try this out, and also I have another question...

Is it true that internal display reduces the eGPU’s performance by 40-50% ?

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@ingamer_02 There are many variables that determine performance loss. You have to find that out with your particular setup through game/software you’re running.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

ReplyQuote
(@ingamer_02)

@itsage

Ok, thanks 😀 

Just to be sure tho 

What I need to do is:

1)Install Windows 10 1903 Iso
2)Uninstall Radeon Drivers with DDU

3) Install 2020 Red Version bootcamp drivers

4)Restart my Mac

5)Hot plug eGPU when Windows Logo with litte circle appears 

6)Disable iGPU in display settings 

And it should work?

ReplyQuote
 @Os
(@os)

Posted by: @ingamer_02

@itsage

Cool, thank you, i’ll try this out, and also I have another question...

Is it true that internal display reduces the eGPU’s performance by 40-50% ?

Hey @Ingamer

Allow me to answer your question in a little more detail. But first I should let you know that answer is based on extensive research for two weeks rather than actual trial. The research include talking to people with eGPUs as well as developers such as apple and amd. 

As @itsage kindly mentioned, there’s a number of variables involved. However, let’s say we both have the same exact hardware and software including the same brands but yours is an eGPU, while mine is a regularly attached to a motherboard. In this case, users say that you will lose around 10% of your performance compared to me. While developers will tell you to prepare yourself for 30% loss. But understanding how developers think, this is a slight exaggeration or the very worst case scenario. So in my humble opinion, we eGPU users, lose somewhere around 10~20% of performance. 

Now there are a number of variables in this calculation including brands, software versions etc. For example if we both have 16gb of ddr4 ram but yours is better quality than mine, it could have a marginal affect on the performance (0.1~1%). So technically you won’t feel it. But these factors compile and could result in the worst case scenario of 30% or the best case scenario of 10%. 

Yet since a lot of us are apple users with limited to no options, we are lucky we have the option of using eGPU. When I think about, I don’t think of how much performance I will lose but rather how much I will gain by using eGPU. No matter what, up until now pc users enjoy a big advantage over us in terms of access to superior hardware. On the other hand we enjoy leverage over them in terms of software, security and stability. 

I hope the answer helps 🙂

This post was modified 1 month ago

Mac mini + Razer Core x + PowerColor RX 5700XT + Catalina 10.15.2

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
(@ingamer_02)

@os

Thank you for youre answer, now I am reassured and I am also happy because of all kind answers you guys offer me, Thank You 🙂 

ReplyQuote
(@ingamer_02)

So i’m currently having an issue which is error 12, my graphic card is recognized but I have the yellow triangle, could someone help me pliz?

ReplyQuote
 @Os
(@os)

Posted by: @ingamer_02

So i’m currently having an issue which is error 12, my graphic card is recognized but I have the yellow triangle, could someone help me pliz?

Every device requires a different solution. I am not familiar with IMac but you could try downgrading your windows version or replacing your pci.sys. 

This topic has most of the solutions people have come up with. Keep in mind that if something worked on someone else’s IMac doesn’t mean it will work for you. I have the same error 12 problem on the mini and have pretty much exhausted all the available solutions with no success, so I decided to wait until one of these useless big corporations make a move to fix the issue. 

https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/egpu-fail-after-update-to-windows-19-03/

Mac mini + Razer Core x + PowerColor RX 5700XT + Catalina 10.15.2

ReplyQuote