Solving Error 12 in Windows (2016 MacBook Pro 15")

Notifications
Clear all

Solving Error 12 in Windows (2016 MacBook Pro 15")  

RSS

Relvce
(@relvce)

Hey!
So my Akitio Node finally arrived today and I there were no problems to get it to work in MacOs. However in Windows 10 I got the famous Error 12 after installing the Nvidia drivers...

I have the 2016 Macbook Pro 15" with the Radeon Pro 455 and I'm using a Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 in the Akitio Node.

I went to this post https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/2016-macbook-pro-solving-egpu-error-12-in-windows-10/#post-5963 to find a solution.

So first, I tried to disable the PCIe bridge above the Facetime Camera however there isn't any PCIe bridges above the Factime Camera in my device manager. 

Error 12

So then my only choice is to perform a DSDT override isn't it? As I'm new to the eGpu world I have a few questions about this. Is the right order step 1 option 1, step 2 option 1 and then step 3 for me? Also it says in the guide:

"It is unlikely this will succeed first time as the compiler is very strict. Errors reported will need to be looked at with Notepad++ on the line they occur on. Search for a unique error keyword from your dsdt-modified.dsl error line within dsdt-modified.asl (it may look a bit different) and the just swap the lines above/below into your dsdt-modified.dsl file and compile. This was sufficient to get a Dell XPS 9350, Dell E6540, 2016 15" Macbook Pro DSDT override all done perfectly." 

Can somebody please explain this to me again as I don't understand what I should do when it doesn't succeed.

I also found a link to this software  https://egpu.io/egpu-setup-13x/ but it says it's not compatible with the 2016 Macbook Pros..Is this right?

Thank you in advance and I hope we can get this to work together! Smile

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Try the step 1. Make sure that you use the correct TB port and "If you see error code 12 with Nvidia, disable the parent PCI Express Downstream Switch Port in Device Manager, and then enable. No restart required."

I confirmed that this works also with the Mid 2015 15" MBP (M370X) + Nvidia. AMD is plug-and-play.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Relvce
(@relvce)

Thank you for your response! I tried to do this but it didn't work..also in my device manager it's called PCI to PCI bridge and not PCI Express Downstream Switch Port. Does that have to do with problem?
Also are there any devices that I can disable? It says that if I want to use the Gpu I have to disable other devices

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

I chose the nearest parent item above the eGPU, not sure if you have the same name.

@daveprosseruk got it working, RP 450 model:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/mbp-2016-node-gtx-1080-code-12/#post-5789

To solve the BSOD, try manually delay TB3 connection by hot-plugging when you see the spinning wheel.

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
VlooMan
(@vlooman)

Hey I have the 2016 Macbook Pro 13 - non touch bar version ( 2.0 CPU and 2 Thunderbolt ports only). I have Akitio Node with MSI GTX 980Ti Gaming 6G. It works perfectly in OSX with external HDMI monitor, even with booting. In Windows 10, however, still having the Error 12.

I managed to make it work only once, right after windows install (second try btw) by disabling the PCI  Downsomething line above it. I was able to run benchmarks with amazing FPS and with the external screen mirrored. Never managed to repeat it. Neither by disabling the #10 FaceTime camera PCI line neither by any other way. When I re-enable the PCI Downstream line the macbook's screen lights up but after 3seconds I get a broken screen. Some kind of BSOD but with ASCII graphical characters and it reboots.

I have the official Windows 10 version from their site - the anniversary edition I guess. I have tried it with a few downloaded versions of "10.0.10586" but non of them managed to work fine with bootcamp. No boot at all. Any ideas? Should I try Windows 8.1? Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@VlooMan:

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/how-to-keep-mbps-irisiris-pro-activated-when-booting-into-windows-boot-camp/#post-1458

+ the new apple_set_os.efi

"UPDATE: This method is confirmed to work with Akitio Node + Late 2016 13″ MBP (non-touch) + following cards on Windows 10 Boot Camp 10.0.10586:

R9 Nano (AMD XConnect works)
RX 480 (AMD XConnect works)
GTX 980 (Optimus works)
GTX 1060 (Optimus works)

Connect the enclosure to the second TB3 port of the MBP and the USB-C-to-USB adapter to the first (port closest to the ESC key). If you see error code 12 with Nvidia, disable the parent PCI Express Downstream Switch Port in Device Manager, and then enable. No restart required."

ReplyQuote
joshu_111
(@joshu_111)

I have 2017 Macbook Pro 15", I had same error code 12.

I followed instructions from here to enable the intel igpu(intel..) and boot into windows.

Then from device manager disable dgpu(Radeon pro 560) and then my external monitor lights up, running from egpu(AMD R9 380)

Everything works, Hope it helps someone.

P.S. I used thunderbolt on left and facing me, and kept MBP plugged in to charger.

2017 15" MacBook Pro (RP560) [7th,4C,H] + R9 380 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote