Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch Mac...

Notifications
Clear all

Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch MacBook 2018, 2017, 2016 and most Macs with AMD dGPU  

of  15
  RSS

zpro
 zpro
(@zpro)

@joevt

Yes, I was looking for someone to confirm that there was anyway to output from a macbook pro to the lg ultrafine 5k running bootcamp in full 5k.

What I discovered interestingly is that very few people have discussed this online, but the macbook pro I have at least (2018 13") is fully capable of outputting in 5k through bootcamp without any problem. It is natively an option within the display settings in windows 10. I also noticed that the refresh rate can be bumped up from 59Hz to 60Hz in the intel graphical driver interface.

I literally installed bootcamp with no prior knowledge through Catalina 10.15.1 and it worked perfectly without me having to do anything. Additionally all my usb peripheral adapters connected to the back of the monitor including magic keyboard, magic trackpad, ethernet, iPhone cable and usb-c to 3.5mm audio all worked perfectly. The ultrafine 5k could also be powered in both clamshell and dual display mode a full resolution on both screens without any problems.

Also, the integrated webcam and microphone did NOT work, but the integrated speakers in the monitor did work. The ultrafine 5k brightness can also only be adjusted by going into the bootcamp control panel and clicking on the tab labeled "brightness".

Consequently, I suspect you can plug in an eGPU to the other side of the macbook using the second array of thunderbolt 3 ports and power the lg ultrafine 5k in that way. through bootcamp at full 5120x2880 60hz.

I added a lot of details here because I figured someone might stumble on this wondering if it was possible as I looked for nearly a year and didn't find anything concrete about it.

Thanks.

- Mid 2018 13" MacBook Pro, 2.3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I5, 8 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, 256 GB SSD
- LG UltraFine 5K
- Razer Core X
- PowerColor Red Devil RX 5700 XT, AXRX 5700XT 8GBD6-3DHE/OC

ReplyQuote
joevt
(@joevt)
Noble Member

Posted by: @zpro

Consequently, I suspect you can plug in an eGPU to the other side of the macbook using the second array of thunderbolt 3 ports and power the lg ultrafine 5k in that way. through bootcamp at full 5120x2880 60hz.

It would be like powering the internal 5K display of an iMac. It wouldn't be good for fps. I think there are some builds that attempted this.

Mac mini (2018), Mac Pro (Early 2008), MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), GA-Z170X-Gaming 7, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Sonnet Echo Express III-D, Trebleet Thunderbolt 3 to NVMe M.2 case

ReplyQuote
HoLong Yu
(@holong_yu)

@oliverb

plz help!!! After I doing step c7 and rebooting windows 1803(With Egpu plugin AMD 5700), it causes windows blue screen. 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
pavolk
(@pavolk)

hello,

my setup is:
macbook pro 13inch touchbar 2018 (macOs catalina, Windows 10 - version 1909)
egpu aorus rx580 gaming box
i trying  step by step your guide and i fail.

in this step:
I uninstall egpu from device manager
Reboot, and my macbook internal display stuck on Windows logo
egpu worked, but only with external monitor
In device manager I see only egpu, I think, macbook disable Intel iGPU and boot only with egpu, any solution ? thanks.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
tsakal
(@tsakal)
Reputable Member

@pavolk

Check my previous posts how I manage to set it up with similar Configuration

A. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Razer Core X, Nitro+ RX5700 xt 8Gb, LG 32UK550
Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1903 V1 .295

B. 2.7 GHz I7 4 Cores, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2018 TB3 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb, Mac OS Catalina 10.15.2, Ext SSD Windows 10 1803

C. 3.1 GHz I7, 16Gb, 1TB MBP 13 2015 TB2 , EGPU Gigabyte Gaming Box RX580 8Gb

ReplyQuote
stevethers
(@stevethers)

Razer core X + rtx 2060 6gb + MacBook Pro 2017 15 inch. I run into an issue where sometimes randomly when I connect to my Thunderbolt 3 port on the left side top one windows crashes. It worked before so I used the right bottom one. Can you explain me why is that?

ReplyQuote
Michał Laszczak
(@michal_laszczak)

@oliverb

Hi, 

First of the egpu I`m using is Razer Core X with RTX 2080 Ti.

I have a problem with egpu detection. When I hotplug Razer Core X to the Mac it just does nothing.

I`ve tried it on Mac Pro 2018 (Windows gives the sound as when detecting a new device and 1 second later the sound of disconnection) and now I`m on iMac 2017 (dead silent). It`s the same issue.

When I cancel the Bootcamp drivers installation and go into Device Manager without any drivers installed and than hotplug the egpu I can see a `Basic System Device` under `Other Devices`.

When I install the Bootcamp drivers it`s as if the egpu was invisible.

What can I do about this? 

I mean running an EFI and switching to iGPU does very little if you can`t install the RTX in the end?

Or am I missing something? 

ReplyQuote
barry singh
(@barry_singh)

thanks for sharing detailed guide, it solved my issue ! share it installvidmate.com

ReplyQuote
Marco Di Giovanni
(@marco_di_giovanni)

• @oliverb, I followed these steps for a Macbook  Pro 2016 15-inch with a Razer Core X + AMD Rx 580, and it still has the code 12 error after I finish step C7+8. Any solution for that yet? I’m kinda getting impatient that I bought this whole eGPU setup and yet shit doesn’t still work.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016)
MacOS Catalina + Windows 10
2.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Radeon Pro 455 2 GB

2016 15" MacBook Pro (RP455) [6th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: @marco_di_giovanni
  • @oliverb, I followed these steps for a Macbook  Pro 2016 15-inch with a Razer Core X + AMD Rx 580, and it still has the code 12 error after I finish step C7+8. Any solution for that yet? I’m kinda getting impatient that I bought this whole eGPU setup and yet shit doesn’t still work.

Which exact version of Windows 10 are you using?
Note: There are some, which don't work at all.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  15