Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch Mac...

Notifications
Clear all

Step-By-Step Guides to install nVidia and AMD eGPU Cards on Bootcamp 15-inch MacBook 2018, 2017, 2016 and most Macs with AMD dGPU  

of  15
  RSS

OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@goalque, it won't work for Radeon Pro 555/560(X)/Vega20 and any AMD eGPU with standard drivers. Until very little ago it wasn't even possible to run both GPUs at once in Bootcamp. Please check corresponding builds.

In my case (15-inch MBP 2018):
I have dGPU Radeon Pro 560X and in the very moment you attach an AMD eGPU and install standard AMD drivers the internal display goes black, the Radeon Pro 560X goes yellow banged and you won't get it back no matter what you do. This problems hits everybody with an newer AMD dGPU. 

I am surprised that with the M370X it's supposed to be different, as you say.

This post was modified 1 year ago

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

goalque liked
ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

Posted by: OliverB

@goalque, it won't work for Radeon Pro 555/560(X)/Vega20 and any AMD eGPU with standard drivers. Until very little ago it wasn't even possible to run both GPUs at once in Bootcamp. Please check corresponding builds.

Yeah, I have seen those posts but cannot confirm myself because I don’t own a MBP equipped with a newer AMD dGPU. @abelviking has an older, M390.

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

Posted by: goalque

Yeah, I have seen those posts but cannot confirm myself because I don’t own a MBP equipped with a newer AMD dGPU. @abelviking has an older, M390.

Good point. I wasn't aware of this, so his system should behave differently.

2018 15" MBP & 2015 13" MBP connected to RTX2080Ti GTX1080Ti GTX1080 Vega56 RX580 R9-290 GTX680

2018 15" MacBook Pro (RP560X) [8th,6C,H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 & macOS 10.15.4 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

Good point. I wasn't aware of this, so his system should behave differently.

@goalque Is the M390 the same family as the M370x? I second what @oliverb says here, no bootcampdrivers.com, no internal screen with dGPU. I tried all other combinations, Apple's own 2015 drivers and AMD.com Apple drivers, I even tried the standard amd.com drivers. See my build post for details, I even have a table in the thread I started where I first heard about the guide in this one with the relevant combinations.
@oliverb FYI, Bootcampdrivers.com + RX580 + NVIDIA drivers = No dice. I had to DDU the NVIDIA drivers to get the RX580 back to work, even with a newer version of Adrenaline.

Again I was able to repro the Code 12 workaround for Nvidia while leaving the internal screen with its LED lights on and no graphics. This time around I used the bootcampdrivers 19.3.3 and the Latest NVIDIA 419.x.x drivers, last time it was all Windows Update. You basically disable the M390, then disable its PCI EXPRESS host, all this while the NVIDIA is connected. Then you reboot, disconnect the NVIDIA, connect it back while Windows is booting(reminiscent of what Pravalovios who had the same exact computer as I do did with his AORUS GTX1070, while mine is the AORUS GTX2070) and the external screen comes up. Right after you boot while the dGPU PCI express lane is disabled the internal screen will freeze at some point, it could be during the Windows logo or while the login screen shows up. 

I'm starting to wonder if all this is due to the AORUS BIOS, for example, why won't the mac even POST to UEFI while the NVIDIA is connected. I wonder if Windows would allocate both dGPU and eGPU if it could boot with both enabled. 
@goalque What's most interesting is that Device Manager is able to show both GPUs allocated in 32bit memory space, if and only if the NVIDIA gets allocated first which is only possible when we disable the PCI express lane for the AMD. I'm stuck at getting DSDT working at the moment and posted a question on @nando4 original DSDT guide thread. His work around for the compiler throwing syntax errors for Function(arg1, if()) did not work for me, I have no idea how to program in assembly so that's also throwing me off, I don't know where to look at for a return on the IF so I can pass it to the Function later on.

@oliverb Just to confirm, when you do AMD + NVIDIA do you use bootcampdrivers.com and Windows Update respectively or some other combination? If so, in which order do you install the drivers.

Sytem InfoiMAC Late 2015. dGPU AMD M390, OSX 10.12.6, Windows 17134.rs4_release.180410-1804(1803). GYGABYTE AORUS RX580 miniITX eGPU my signature

2015 27" iMac 5K (R9 M390) [6th,4C,] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
goalque
(@goalque)
Noble Member Admin

@abelviking No, they are not the same family. The M390 is Pitcairn and the M370X is Verde.

The first thing I noticed is your enclosure. I would almost claim that any enclosure with extra USB/LAN ports is not the best combo with an AMD dGPU equipped 2015 Mac. It doesn't POST (power-on self-test). This means that you must always delay the boot process (hot plug).

Not sure if DSDT is going to help you, but I recommend MaciASL, it's a very user friendly app.

Many forget one important factor: Win10 build. What's your version? How do you install drivers for the AMD eGPU? I only need to extract the package and manually point to the AMD folder in the device manager. The AMD dGPU (or M370X at least) with official Apple Boot Camp drivers can co-operate with the AMD eGPU out of the box. I have not used Windows for a while, so not sure if situation is the same with newer Win10 versions.

For Nvidia cards, I have always used apple_set_os.efi but I guess that's not an option with iMacs (no iMac experience at all).

automate-eGPU EFIapple_set_os.efi

Mid 2015 15-inch MacBook Pro eGPU Master Thread

2018 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (ASUS XG Station Pro) + Win10 1809 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

@abelviking No, they are not the same family. The M390 is Pitcairn and the M370X is Verde.

The first thing I noticed is your enclosure. I would almost claim that any enclosure with extra USB/LAN ports is not the best combo with an AMD dGPU equipped 2015 Mac. It doesn't POST (power-on self-test). This means that you must always delay the boot process (hot plug).

Not sure if DSDT is going to help you, but I recommend MaciASL, it's a very user friendly app.

Many forget one important factor: Win10 build. What's your version? How do you install drivers for the AMD eGPU? I only need to extract the package and manually point to the AMD folder in the device manager. The AMD dGPU (or M370X at least) with official Apple Boot Camp drivers can co-operate with the AMD eGPU out of the box. I have not used Windows for a while, so not sure if situation is the same with newer Win10 versions.

For Nvidia cards, I have always used apple_set_os.efi but I guess that's not an option with iMacs (no iMac experience at all).

Thanks for getting back to me!
Let me break it down:

The AMD RX580 can POST, in fact that is the only way I can get it to work, the NVIDIA cannot. The enclosures are the same brand and they look similar although they have different logos. Haven't open them. The NVIDIA does require hotplug during Windows boot to work at all. There's also a bunch of Nvidia USB and USB-c drivers getting in the way so that's suspicious. I'm leaning towards an AKITIO or a Sonnet now.

I heard about it, I might give it a shot.

I'm on Windows 1803 which is what this guide is based on.

As for drivers I have done what you say, even with 2015 Official Bootcamp drivers but even on 1803 I cannot get the internal screen to work. That is exactly what @oliverb is saying. Refer to this thread if you're interested in the history of what I've done, there's a table in that post that describes the most relevant combinations I've tried:
https://egpu.io/forums/pc-setup/imac-dgpu-egpu-help-how-to-get-internal-screen-working/#post-56992

For bootcampdrivers.com mod I simply DDU my system in Safe Mode, reboot, then install the bootcampdrivers.com from the installer. Then reboot and hotplug the RX580, then follow this guide - uninstall from device manager, reboot with POST.
I read most of the relevant threads you @nando4 and @itsage have written with workarounds about code12, code 43 and getting the internal display working with clover and UEFI workarounds, even for USB external hard drives. Most of the information seems to be related to activating the iGPU which is DISABLED by Apple for their iMACs...like either you or @itsage said on a post and increasing the 32bit allocation side, which is why I was leaning towards the DSDT approach or switching over to a newer Radeon.
 All this just to get higher FPS in a 4 core/4 thread CPU.

Sytem InfoiMAC Late 2015. dGPU AMD M390, OSX 10.12.6, Windows 17134.rs4_release.180410-1804(1803). GYGABYTE AORUS RX580 miniITX eGPU my signature

2015 27" iMac 5K (R9 M390) [6th,4C,] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
OliverB
(@oliverb)
Noble Member

@abelviking, I wasn't exactly aware of your older AMD dGPU. My guide may not work with your model. It is very interesting what you can achieve! Thank you for consideration.

ReplyQuote
abelviking
(@abelviking)
Eminent Member

@abelviking, I wasn't exactly aware of your older AMD dGPU. My guide may not work with your model. It is very interesting what you can achieve! Thank you for consideration.

Why? And why is it interesting that I achieved something?
You're welcome to get really technical.

This post was modified 1 year ago

ReplyQuote
Marco Leu
(@brandmee_ch_marco_leu)

Hi everybody,

My Setup: (Bootcamp Windows 1803 German)
MacBookPro Touch 15" Late 2016, i7 2.7GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 455
Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64
HTC Vive Pro

The instructions work for me too. (Thx @oliverb) For me it works only on the left side of the macbook. the connection further away from the screen.

Unfortunately I have the same problem as @sideflap. As soon as I connect a USB-C (Mouse, HTC Vive Pro,...) on the left or right side, the screen freezes immediately. Is there a solution?

My Setup: MacBookPro Touch Late 2016, i7 2.7GHz, 16GB Ram, AMD Radeon Pro 455 + Razer Core X + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64

OliverB liked
ReplyQuote
wilkmn
(@wilkmn)

Hey,

I've been lurking here for a while and reading how to work out a NVIDIA eGPU via Win 10 Bootcamp.

I would like to double check everything before proceeding into the whole project. I truly appreciate any help I can get.

So here is my build:

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018)
Version 10.14.3.
Processor: 2,9 GHz Intel Core i9
Memory: 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Graphics: Radeon Pro Vega 16 + Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

eGPU:
Razer Core X
NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti

Is it really that simple, as @OliverB put it:

- Install Windows 10 via Bootcamp (the file I have is "Win10_1809Oct_v2_EnglishInternational_x64.iso").

- Hot-plug TB3 from Razer Core X to MacBook Pro when in Windows 10 desktop (is there a specific port I should connect the TB3, left or right, bottom or top?).

- Wait until the system installs drivers itself.

- Go to Device Manager, find a yellow banged device, right click and disable and after that right click again and enable.

- When it gives an option to reboot the system, don't.

- Go to Step C7.

- Go to Device Manager, see my NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti, right click it and "Uninstall Device" but don't check "Delete the driver software for this device."

- Reboot without unplugging eGPU

That should just work without any complications on my MacBook Pro 15" 2018?

Also I have an external BenQ PD2710QC USB Type-C Enabled Designer Monitor that has a dock which connects all peripherals to the monitor and via 1 USB-C (TB3?) to my MacBook Pro.

Should I not use this external monitor when jumping into this procedure? Can I use a DisplayPort to plug my monitor to the eGPU and a TB3 from the eGPU enclosure to my MacBook Pro, and keep that USB-C from my monitor to the MacBook Pro to still have all my peripherals hooked up on the monitor dock?

I hope I didn't make this post too long and complicated. I just don't want to jump into any procedure without being confident. A massive thank you in advance to everyone.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  15