Stuttering on Macbook Pro 16" 2019 using 1080ti with Akitio Node enclosure

Notifications
Clear all

Stuttering on Macbook Pro 16" 2019 using 1080ti with Akitio Node enclosure  

RSS

skepticalmalamute
(@skepticalmalamute)

Hi everyone!

I recently bought a manufacture refurbished Akitio Node to go with my macbook pro I just purchased a couple of months ago. I had an old gaming pc I had to sell given space limitations (small apartment) but I kept the 1080ti for use in the eGPU enclosure.

I've been trying to set it up today and have been having some stuttering issue in every game I've tested. Steam overlay will say I'm running at 60fps but the stuttering is very noticeable. I tried disabling the 16x PCIE device in device manager which does get rid of the stuttering but it fixes my resolution to 3072x1920 and my refresh rate to 64hz which is not ideal since that is not my laptop screen's refresh rate and I would like to run the games at a lower resolution for better performance.

I've already used Display Driver Uninstall to reinstall my graphics drivers so I have no clue what else I should do.

For clarity I tested all the games with performance set to maximum through Windows' graphics settings menu and I have my battery set to max performance as well.

Does anyone have any insights?

Warm regards.

This topic was modified 2 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@skepticalmalamute, Are you running in internal display mode or with an external monitor? I recall the stock 400W PSU in the AKiTiO Node may struggle handling the GTX 1080 Ti

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
skepticalmalamute
(@skepticalmalamute)

@itsage, I was using my internal display when the stuttering happened. Hooking up to an external display there was no stuttering whatsoever. I did have an incident when I was playing an online game with some friends on an external monitor when all of a sudden the egpu stopped displaying despite my laptop still detecting the gpu. I've also had issues with the egpu almost randomly turning off, which could give credence to the theory that the akitio node doesn't have the juice to power the 1080ti.

If this is the case is it possible to use a custom power supply to replace the stock one that comes with the Akitio Node? I really don't want to have to go through the hassle of selling this one on ebay and buying a whole new egpu container...

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@skepticalmalamute, Yes any SFX power supplies with 450W+ should work. The AKiTiO Node mainboard doesn't use the 24-pin connector so you'd need to jump that one for the PSU to run. One 6-pin PCIe power connector to the mainboard and a couple to the GPU.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2018 Mac Mini [8th,4C,B] + RX Vega 56 Nano @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + macOS 11.0 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote