[SUCCESS - ERROR 12] 2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [i9 8C] + RX Vega 64 + Razer...

Notifications
Clear all

[SUCCESS - ERROR 12] 2019 16" MacBook Pro (RP5500M) [i9 8C] + RX Vega 64 + Razer Core X + macOS 10.15.5 & Win10 1903 (295)  

RSS

dravn
(@dravn)

Hey everyone,

it took me a long time to figure out how to fix Error 12 and after spending so much time reading up on your builds and guides in this forum I wanted to give back to the community and tell y’all how I got my build working. 

So first of all thanks to users @itsage and @aa15032261 for all their hard work and recommendations. Also kudos to @ahbosch for finding out the perfect port dance that works every time.

I know there are some builds with my specs that work right out of the box, but this wasn’t the case for my build. It took me about 3-4 tries to get this right (I was close to giving up twice).

The final fix was using bootx64.efi (v0.5) and doing the port dance correctly as described by @ahbosch.

System specs

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2019)

CPU: 2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
MEM: 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
HDD: 1TB SSD
dGPU: Radeon 5500M
eGPU: Vega 64

eGPU hardware (eGPU enclosure, video card, any third-party TB3 cable, any custom mods)

Razer Core X

Installation steps (what did you do to get it all going?)

Preparation

1. Download Windows 1903 ISO
  2. Download Windows 1903 Update 295 and save it to a thumb drive that can be used in Windows
  3. Download Drivers from Bootcampdrivers.com: Adrenalin April 2020 Red Gaming edition (Best FPS in games) and save it on the thumb drive as well
  4. Download Display Driver Uninstaller from Wagnardsoft and save it on the thumb drive as well
  5. Download bootx64.efi.zip and Clover Configurator as described in this thread

Install Process

1. Start Bootcamp Assistant in MacOS and use the *.iso for Windows Version 1903 to install Windows 10.
  2. Follow the Windows installation procedures (do not activate wifi/internet connection during install - stay offline!)
  3. Once booted into Windows install the Apple Bootcamp Drivers
  4. Set a Restore Point just in case
  5. Install Windows Update 295 from your thumb drive
  6. Set Restore Point just in case
  7. Boot Windows into safe mode and remove drivers with DDU, also check the Option to prevent Windows from updating the drivers itself in the DDU options
  8. Restart Windows
  9. In Device Manager, confirm there is only one graphics card: Microsoft Basic Display Device
  10. Hot-Plug eGPU (it did not make a difference for me if I connect top left or top right TB3-port, but @itsage mentioned in one post he has been using the top right TB3-port) 
  11. Install Adrenaline RED drivers from thumb drive
  12. Don’t reboot through the Adrenaline App -> Shutdown Windows manually (in my case the display turned black and after some while I turned of the Macbook manually via the Powerbutton)
  13. Boot macOS into Recovery Mode and Set Security Boot to "No Security" (Tutorial)
  14. Boot to macOS and follow the instructions here to use the bootx64.efi-Loader: (Tutorial)
  15. Once you’re done installing the Bootloader restart your Macbook with the eGPU Plugged into your top left port and press ALT when it starts up
  16. In the Boot options select Windows. Then follow the port dance as described by @ahbosch:
    1. Press enter when bootx64 efi loader has detected your eGPU and is counting down
    2. WAIT until Windows Logo shows up AND ... I SAY AND The Windows loading circle has made one rotation...
    3. THEN and only THEN plug it out and move it to the TOP RIGHT side and wait..
    4. Wait until Windows is loaded and you see the login-screen
    5. THEN I moved the eGPU to the ORIGINAL PORT on LEFT side again
    6. Windows freaks out does a few chimes and BAMMM.. your screen flickers get it's brackets and you have the eGPU working
  17. Disable Windows Updates with Group Policy (Tutorial) or Services (Tutorial)
  18. Get your Wifi/Internet connection working and connect/enable bluetooth devices if needed (some users have reported problems during this step, but I did not have problems with Bluetooth at this step)
  19. You’re done. Enjoy your games or 3d work or whatever.

Closing thoughts

This was extremely frustrating. All the components of this build are very pricey. I think the least we can expect from AMD+Apple+Microsoft+Razer is to get there s**t together and just offer a simple GPU-Switcher or Microsoft fix their PCI-Resources-Management.

My advice: The moment it became bearable for me to go through all of this was to view it as a "game" as some recommended here and just try to beat this "game" of installing your eGPU and making it work. It is definitely more fun this way, but still something I would prefer not having to do since I already paid almost a thousand bucks for the Vega+Core X and I expected way less problems in setting this up.

Anyway, I hope my guide helps the next person with a similar setup. I’ll keep my fingers crossed the next Windows Update fix this thing so none of us have to go through this (again).

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

Glutentag, Rak and itsage liked
ReplyQuote
Arshit Singh
(@arshit_singh)

Hey! Thanks a ton! I got it working after I used this guide! Nothing else worked. 

I agree, the port dance is stupid every time I have to use my mbP

Question, how are the CPU temps when gaming? I played Battlefield V on High 1440P using Core X  - RX5700XT Thicc III connected to mbP 16' i7 16GB ram, the CPU temps were hovering between 90-100C. Is that normal?

This post was modified 4 months ago

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Arnold Alcantara
(@arnold_alcantara)

Can I do this on my current BootCamp installation? I really don't want to reinstall everything on my Windows partition. 

16" Macbook Pro i9
Windows version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363

Razer Core X + XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX 8GB

Let me know asap! I bought the eGPU setup to use an Oculus Rift S and didn't realize there were going to be these issues.... I might as well return the GPU for something that can work on both my operating systems. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

ReplyQuote
dravn
(@dravn)

Posted by: @arshit_singh

Hey! Thanks a ton! I got it working after I used this guide! Nothing else worked. 

I agree, the port dance is stupid every time I have to use my mbP

Question, how are the CPU temps when gaming? I played Battlefield V on High 1440P using Core X  - RX5700XT Thicc III connected to mbP 16' i7 16GB ram, the CPU temps were hovering between 90-100C. Is that normal?

So glad I could help! 

Regarding the CPU temps: to be honest I did not check temp/speed at all since I was just happy that its all working now. In general other members here in the forum have reported that Windows runs a bit hotter under Bootcamp then on a PC or macOS itself, so maybe that’s also why you’re seeing crazy CPU temps. I would advise browsing the forum here and seeing what other members are reporting. I don't really know what the normal / acceptable temperature would be.

ReplyQuote
Arshit Singh
(@arshit_singh)

@dravn, I was able to use throttlestop and set boost wattage and P0 wattage to 65W. Playing BFV at [email protected] runs at 70C. CPU runs between 2.90 and 3.4Ghz. It’s perfect. 

ReplyQuote
dravn
(@dravn)

Posted by: @arnold_alcantara

Can I do this on my current BootCamp installation? I really don't want to reinstall everything on my Windows partition. 

16" Macbook Pro i9
Windows version: 10.0.18363 Build 18363

Razer Core X + XFX Radeon RX 580 GTS XXX 8GB

Let me know asap! I bought the eGPU setup to use an Oculus Rift S and didn't realize there were going to be these issues.... I might as well return the GPU for something that can work on both my operating systems. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

There’s a ton of evidence in this forum that you need the 1903 build. Based on the number you’ve provided I am guessing your Windows Version is 1909 and as far as I know you will have to redo the whole thing with Windows 1903 as explained in my post and the posts of many other users here in this forum. I don’t think you need to return your eGPU but you’ll have to reinstall your Windows Partition using Windows 1903 and disable the Windows Updates. Also since you have an AMD GPU you already have something that could work on both systems, since both support it in theory 😉

Your alternative would be to wait for some upcoming Windows or Bootcamp Update that fixes all this, but I’m not really optimistic in this regard. You can try it with your setup or a new Windows version and if it doesn’t work try the approach with the 1903 version.

Posted by: @arshit_singh

@dravn, I was able to use throttlestop and set boost wattage and P0 wattage to 65W. Playing BFV at [email protected] runs at 70C. CPU runs between 2.90 and 3.4Ghz. It’s perfect.

Good idea! Yeah I also saw that some people throttled their settings, good to know that it worked in your case. Will check my setup as well!

ReplyQuote
Rak
 Rak
(@rak)

@dravn Hi there, thanks to you I finally got my eGPU working. Thank you!

My setup: MBP 16" 2019 (dGPU: 5300M) + RX 5700 XT + Razer Core X

There's one more thing I had to do. Maybe this helps somebody:

Important: In my case, the port dance only works if I unplug everything except the eGPU. I had a USB hub with an external keyboard connected and that led to 1. the eGPU not even showing up in Device Manager or 2. black-screen & automatic reboot on the Win10 login screen.

So, basically, I have to do these things every time I boot into Windows:

1. Unplug EVERYTHING (keyboard, mouse, power)
  2. Plug eGPU into top left port
  3. Boot, do the 'Port Dance' as described in the link above
  4. Wait some time for Windows to boot up; log in
  5. Confirm the eGPU is working; plug in USB devices again
  6. Keep using an outdated Windows version; never update

Nonetheless, I'm going to return my RX 5700 XT for a RTX 2070 Super. It's just too much of a hassle to follow the above steps every single time I boot into Windows.

ReplyQuote