Using internal display on 2019 macbook 13” with nvidia egpu

Notifications
Clear all

Using internal display on 2019 macbook 13” with nvidia egpu  

RSS

(@heidi_anderson)

Is it possible to easily use the internal display on a 2019 macbook with bootcamp? Mine does not have any dedicated graphics, just Iris Pro. I plan on using an nvidia gpu in an external enclosure (haven’t decided on one yet) but I was wondering if it’s possible to use the laptop screen. I know this does decrease performance, but I want to see how it performs on it vs an external tv display. I currently have recently updated windows 10 installed.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@heidi_anderson

Yes, it’s possible. 

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-13-macbook-pro-8th4cu-rtx-2070-32gbps-tb3-gaming-box-win10-2004-itsage/

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
(@heidi_anderson)

@mini-i5 

so there's no way to keep the iGPU enabled without EFI boot? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Reputable Member

@heidi_anderson

@itsage knows all the MacBook Pro tricks. 👨‍💻

2018 Mac Mini i5 / 6-core 3.0-4.1 Ghz / 32GB / 256GB / Intel UHD 630 / PowerColor Gaming Station / PowerColor dual-fan RX5700 XT / Mac OS 10.15.4 Catalina / Windows 1809 / LG 27" 4K display

ReplyQuote
(@heidi_anderson)

@mini-i5

haha yeah, did see lots of builds using macbook pro. Only thing I wasn't quite sure about is the process of activating the internal screen, afraid of missing a step and messing something up since I have a 2019 version. It would be nice to have the option though, the retina screen is really nice even at 2k resolution. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

@heidi_anderson If you plan on using an Nvidia eGPU with the 2019 13" MacBook Pro, simply wait until Windows fully boots then hot-plug the eGPU. That way you have both the Intel iGPU running and Nvidia eGPU to provide loopback acceleration to internal display.

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2020 13" MacBook Pro [10th,4C,G] + RX 5700 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Prototype eGPU Enclosure) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 1903 [build link]  

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
(@heidi_anderson)

@itsage ok thanks, I didn't think it was that simple in bootcamp, something about the internal display turning off when the egpu gets plugged i.

ReplyQuote