Using internal display on 2019 macbook 13” with nvidia egpu

Notifications
Clear all

Using internal display on 2019 macbook 13” with nvidia egpu  

RSS

Heidi Anderson
(@heidi_anderson)

Is it possible to easily use the internal display on a 2019 macbook with bootcamp? Mine does not have any dedicated graphics, just Iris Pro. I plan on using an nvidia gpu in an external enclosure (haven’t decided on one yet) but I was wondering if it’s possible to use the laptop screen. I know this does decrease performance, but I want to see how it performs on it vs an external tv display. I currently have recently updated windows 10 installed.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Topic Tags
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@heidi_anderson

Yes, it’s possible. 

https://egpu.io/forums/builds/2019-13-macbook-pro-8th4cu-rtx-2070-32gbps-tb3-gaming-box-win10-2004-itsage/

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RX 6600 XT (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Monterey 12.1 pending + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 6600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 12.0 & Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Heidi Anderson
(@heidi_anderson)

@mini-i5 

so there's no way to keep the iGPU enabled without EFI boot? 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Mini i5
(@mini-i5)
Prominent Member

@heidi_anderson

@itsage knows all the MacBook Pro tricks. 👨‍💻

2018 Mac Mini + AMD RX 6600 XT (Sonnet Breakaway Box 650) Monterey 12.1 pending + Windows 21H1

2018 Mac Mini [8th,6C,B] + RX 6600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Sonnet Breakaway 650) + macOS 12.0 & Win10 21H1 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Heidi Anderson
(@heidi_anderson)

@mini-i5

haha yeah, did see lots of builds using macbook pro. Only thing I wasn't quite sure about is the process of activating the internal screen, afraid of missing a step and messing something up since I have a 2019 version. It would be nice to have the option though, the retina screen is really nice even at 2k resolution. 

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@heidi_anderson If you plan on using an Nvidia eGPU with the 2019 13" MacBook Pro, simply wait until Windows fully boots then hot-plug the eGPU. That way you have both the Intel iGPU running and Nvidia eGPU to provide loopback acceleration to internal display.

LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 14" Microsoft Surface Laptop Studio [11th,4C,H] + RTX 2080 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (WD_Black D50) + Win11 [build link]  

Mini i5 liked
ReplyQuote
Heidi Anderson
(@heidi_anderson)

@itsage ok thanks, I didn't think it was that simple in bootcamp, something about the internal display turning off when the egpu gets plugged i.

ReplyQuote