Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and Bootcamp eGPU for Macs - new internal LCD acce...

Notifications
Clear all

Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and Bootcamp eGPU for Macs - new internal LCD acceleration feature  

of  6
  RSS

fizzlewizzle
(@fizzlewizzle)

I will add that I didn't have the eGPU plugged in. Only had it on my power supply, nothing else. But, I did have 1905 disabled in the Device Manager and had my issues. Do you think that would need to be re-enabled prior to the update?

2016 15in MBP + Mantiz Venus + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 + Win10

ReplyQuote
Ningauble77
(@ningauble77)
Estimable Member

Pretty sure it would have re-enabled the pcie root complex during the update  I didn't reenable mine before installing 1803, but I'm using an nvidia card which has less driver conflict issues.  How did you get the AMD drivers installed with the dGPU still active?  If the egpu were running different driver revisions during the upgrade maybe that caused an issue?  Did it hang on restart without ever having plugged the egpu in, post update?

2019 16 Macbook Pro + Core v2 + Radeon VII MacOS 10.15.1
Core X Chroma + RTX 2080 Windows 10 1909
Asrock X570 Phantom Gaming ITX/TB3, Ryzen 5 3400G + Core v2 + Radeon VII Win10 1909

2019 ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3 [R3K,4C,G] + Radeon VII @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core V2) + Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
sabrefoxx
(@sabrefoxx)

I was successful and I can share my experiences, but unfortunately I can't turn my experiences into a very useful guide.

In the end, the monitor hooked up to the eGPU will work but the MacBook Pro 2017's integrated monitor will not work. In addition, I had to disable the PCIe Bus that the integrated Radeon Pro 580 was on in order to free up space for the eGPU.

I did not have to do this prior to 1803 but then again I did not have to install extra drivers or use DDU or a special bootcamp AMD software. I'll try and give a high level summary of what I did. Note, I used some of the information found here as well.

1. Update macOS to the latest version (Might be 10.13.xxx+)
2. Install the Spring Update 1803 by either using the "Windows Update" feature or by downloading the .ISO from the Microsoft website. (I used it when installing bootcamp instead of the windows update so I don't have to go through the long update process which may or may not fail for some reason or another).
3. Download the latest version of the AMD drivers currently 18.6.1
4. Plug in your eGPU into the TB3 port on ur Mac. If it's a MBP try the right hand side ports first.
     a. It may help that you don't have ANY thing else plugged into your TB3 ports at least for now.
5.Install the AMD drivers. If it says it can't find any AMD hardware or otherwise give you an error, don't use the setup file and instead go to device manager, locate the device which may say "Microsoft Basic Adapter". If you don't see it try using the "Scan for New Hardware" option in device manager. Then, when you do the "Update Driver" button manually navigate to where the AMD drivers were extracted.
    a. Afterwards the eGPU should (may) be installed. 
    b. I ran into an issue where nothing was displayed on the screen except black. I almost gave up on it when my         second monitor plugged into the eGPU came to life. This pleasantly surprised me. 
6. At this point make sure that the PCIe bus that the dGPU is on, is disabled.
     a. In device manager, click on View - > Devices By Connection, then navigate down the tree to "PCI Bus" and the one you're looking for may say "...PCIe controller (x16) - 1901". Disable this one.

Ok I'm going to stop listing steps because the further I go the less sure I am this will work for anyone. I came across many problems along the way. If I were to reinstall my PC again I'm not sure I could get it to work once more, at least not without a headache. There were moments when I completely reinstalled bootcamp, maybe 5+ times. That was because I could not get into the Windows Bootcamp OS due to the black screen, but that was before I saw this thread.

My only hope is this. Microsoft and Apple continue to make improvements to bootcamp to one day make eGPU usage seamless. I also hope that this post helps someone even a little bit.

Cheer!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Wunair
(@wunair)
Trusted Member

I recently updated to build 1803, which was a mistake. I've used the Clover method to make the eGPU work. The old drivers didn't work anymore. I installed newer drivers through bootcampdrivers.com, and it seems like the drivers are not showing any errors (no error 43), but my laptop monitor does not want to turn on. I've tried multiple reboots. Sometimes the external monitor goes on, most of the time both monitors show black. When the external monitor goes on, my laptop monitor is off.

Does anybody know the solution to this? Reinstall the drivers perhaps?

MacBook Pro 16" 2020 + Mantiz eGPU + RX Vega 64

ReplyQuote
TheNikso
(@thenikso)

I was quite perplexed when my newly arrived Razer Core X bricked my Win10 external disk installation on my MBP late 2016 the other day.
I had to re-install twice for the black screen.

@sabrefoxx what exactly prevented you to get another black screen? I am tempted to try your list but going to have to reinstall again is holding me back.

Thank you all for the informations anyway!

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
Jared Busch
(@jared_busch)
Eminent Member

@sabrefoxx In step 5, I sure would love to know how you gained access to the "extracted drivers".

The only way I've ever been able to get AMD drivers is through the setup.exe file. If the setup.exe fails, it doesn't extract anything as far as I can tell.

So how do I go about getting the drivers from a setup.exe? I can't find anywhere on AMD's site where to download just the drivers and nothing else.

ReplyQuote
sabrefoxx
(@sabrefoxx)

@TheNikso Unfortunately I can't say exactly what stopped it from simply showing a black screen like it did in the prior half dozen attempts at getting it to work. When my external monitor (An Lg TV) came to life I was surprised, then even more surprised it did not flicker back to black again. I'm certain that if I reinstall bootcamp once more I'm going to have hell trying to get it to work again. It was all trial and error.

I was using an AMD Radeon Vega 56 with my MBP 2017 15'' with touch bar. I really wish I could give a concrete guide on how to get it to work. I just hope that Apple and Microsoft improve bootcamp further.

@jared_busch So when you first download the official AMD drivers it might come in an exe file first. When you run the exe file it will usually extract the contents of that exe to a folder like "C:\AMD\'TheDriversFolder'" This is the location where you can manually point to the drivers for the install of the eGPU. It should also contain the setup file. I don't know what your card or MBP rig is like so maybe the files required are different than mines. If the setup file you mentioned has any other folders, point to the folder the setup file is in and let it search all the subfolders. Hopefully it will find the drivers.

ReplyQuote
Hyu
 Hyu
(@hyu)

I will throw my own experience here.. 

So, I have been observing few things last week or so, Apple has modified 10.13.6 and 10.14 efi/bootrom to point that refind and usb stick boot won't no longer work to enable iGPU, but does it really matter anymore? 

Now, with my two test lab machines 2016 and 2017 MacBook Pro 15", I noticed that its no longer required to remove built-in amd drivers with DDU, its going to stay as "default gpu" to windows.

Leave AMD drivers as it is and disable 1905 from device manager, reboot with nvidia egpu plugged in, install nvidia drivers and everything works out of the box. Even hot plugging. I have to manually select apps where I want to use my EGPU, everything else goes to built-in AMD gpu. 

There seems to be slight performance drop but.. It looks like we don't have to mess with efi and other scripts? Now everything just works? I still don't quite believe it that it worked this easily.. 

Note: my 2016 MBP Machine was upgraded Windows 10 to 1803, it had multiple problems, when I did clean 1803 install with official iso, all the problems disappeared.

Tested with Razer Core X/1080 and Razer Core v2/Titan X
Macbook Pro 2016 & 2017 15"

ReplyQuote
Haojun Yin
(@youngz4s)

@Ningauble77
I encountered the driver conflict issue with my MBP 2017 15" with Vega 56 in Win10Pro 1803 bootcamp. I can only use either iGPU or eGPU. The other one will be shown as stopped in Device manager. The eGPU was able to work without problem. The iGPU needs to be enabled before disconnecting eGPU. Otherwise it will be a black screen.

I roll back to 1709.

ReplyQuote
moltentofu
(@moltentofu)

I had a lot of trouble at first with my attempts, but then did a clean install of 1803 and followed Hyu's instructions and it worked the first try (almost Smile ).

Leave AMD drivers as it is and disable 1905 from device manager, reboot with nvidia egpu plugged in, install nvidia drivers and everything works out of the box. Even hot plugging. I have to manually select apps where I want to use my EGPU, everything else goes to built-in AMD gpu. 

Extra details:
1) Do a clean install of windows - Windows Reset works fine (hold shift+click Restart to get menu)! Tons of weird random crap before I did this (like hang on disabling 1905 etc)
2) Didn't bother to install any of the Mac bootcamp drivers - just whatever vanilla windows came with.
3) One random reboot during installing Nvidia drivers (using latest from nvidia.com) - after reboot tried again and worked

Setup:
2017 MB Pro 15in w/Touchbar
Akitio Node w/MSI 1070
Driving internal display only

Final note I have this crazy extra feature in my Windows start bar now next to the nvidia quick launch icon - it appears to show me all the applications being driven by the 1070??? Perhaps the latest Nvidia drivers areactively including even more support for eGPU…?

2019 15" MacBook Pro (RP555X) [9th, 6C, H] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (AKiTiO Node) + macOS 10.15.3 & Win10 1909 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
 of  6