Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and Bootcamp eGPU for Macs - new internal LCD acce...

Notifications
Clear all

Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and Bootcamp eGPU for Macs - new internal LCD acceleration feature  

of  7
  RSS

fizzlewizzle
(@fizzlewizzle)

I attempted again with the 1803 update. This time, I only had the power plugged in and all of the devices enabled in Device Manager. I previously installed it with the eGPU plugged in on the top right port and running with 1905 disabled on my 2016 15in MacBook and got a black screen after a few seconds of booting up with the blue Windows logo and spinning. While it was successfully installed and I got to the desktop initially, I experienced the same issues after I disabled 1905 again and plugged in the eGPU. It doesn't matter if I had nothing plugged in after I attempted to install the eGPU, it still hung up on the blue Windows logo at the same time.

I'm calling it quits for now. I'm can't afford to go down again on my main rig. I went back to 1709.

2016 15in MBP + Mantiz Venus + Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 56 + Win10

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Windows auto updates are cheeky aren't they? Went from 1709 to 1803 without being asked and oh boy it was a load of hassle again. LG 5K wasnt working, egpu not detected, total shit show.

Slowly worked my way through the problems, reboots got the screen back but kept getting BSOD when i tried to update my Nvidia drivers. Had to run DDU to remove all drivers  and then the egpu was detected and I downloaded and installed fresh drivers, all working again than god.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Illustrious Member Admin

Windows updates are never fun. I'm glad you're able to sort it all out. Is AMD eGPU still causing no output on the Ultrafine?

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX 5600 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (VisionTek mini eGFX) + macOS 11 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Eightarmedpet
(@eightarmedpet)
Noble Member Moderator

Sadly yes... I wish I could work it out... something to do with band width limiting in rEFInd and Apple-set-os, possibly, but I have no clue. 

I also spoke too soon, having a few issues with peripherals plugged into the monitor, not sure this 1803 build is as solid as 1709. 

Toying with the the idea of selling the monitor, it’s beautiful but the root of most my issues. With a normal 4K screen I bet I’d get AMD cards working.

2017 13" MacBook Pro Touch Bar
GTX1060 + AKiTiO Thunder3 + Win10
GTX1070 + Sonnet Breakaway Box + Win10
GTX1070 + Razer Core V1 + Win10
Vega 56 + Razer Core V1 + macOS + Win10
Vega 56 + Mantiz Venus + macOS + W10

---

LG 5K Ultrafine flickering issue fix

2017 13" MacBook Pro [7th,2C,U] + RX 5700 XT @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.15.4 & Win10 2004 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Keith Walls
(@keith_walls)
Eminent Member

Happy to report nVidia eGPU works fine with iMac Pro running the current version of Windows 10 (Build 17134.165)
It took a workaround to get the drivers to install, but it is all working. Can even boot into Windows with eGPU attached. Now if Apple would just get their act together on the MacOS side....

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member

@eightarmedpet
Hey there I'm trying to run bootcamp from an external SSD. When Bootcamp is connected to the egpu it does recognize my LG screen but the resolution within windows cannot be adjusted in windows. Do you know why?

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 10.14 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
mac_editor
(@mac_editor)
Famed Member Moderator

Posted by: vinhdiesel

@eightarmedpet
Hey there I'm trying to run bootcamp from an external SSD. When Bootcamp is connected to the egpu it does recognize my LG screen but the resolution within windows cannot be adjusted in windows. Do you know why?

This usually happens when the GPU connected to the display is not accelerated/is detected as a basic adapter in Device Manager.

purge-wranglertbt-flashpurge-nvdaset-eGPU
Insights Into macOS Video Editing Performance

Master Threads:
2014 15-inch MacBook Pro 750M
2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

2019 13" MacBook Pro [8th,4C,U] + RX Vega 64 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Mantiz Venus) + macOS 10.14.6 & Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
vinhdiesel
(@vinhdiesel)
Trusted Member

Thank you so much
@mac_editor
where can I change this in the settings? I'm a windows noob 😀

2014 15" MacBook Pro (GT750M) [4th,4C,H] + RX 580 @ 16Gbps-TB2>TB3 (Razer Core V2) + macOS 10.14 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
푸른바람
(@yhk02240224)
Eminent Member

I use an Aorus x5 v7 laptop. dgpu is gtx 1070. This laptop has non-optimus technology and I have razer core x and rtx 2080. I want to use rtx 2080 for internal display. However, to use internal display I need to enable igpu, but due to non-optimus technology I cannot enable it. Can someone help me?

Laptop : Aorus X5-V7, CPU : I7-7820HK, iGPU : None, dGPU : GTX 1070, eGPU : RTX 2080, interface : Razer core X, ADT-Link R43SG(Nvme M.2)

2017 15" AORUS X5-V7 (GTX1070) [7th,4C,HK] + RTX 2080 @ 32Gbps-M2 (ADT-Link R43SG) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Nobleness IN Black
(@nobleness-in-black)

First things first, English isn't my first language. I apologise to moderators and all users for mistakes.

I bought Alfais 4250P mini PCI-e v8.0 and GTX 1660 SUPER for my laptop MSI GE70 2qe Apache Pro. I can use the GPU with external monitor but I can't see my GPU in the Nvidia control panel while using integrated display. Must I use external monitor all time? How can I use my laptop's screen with my eGPU?

I'm using WiFi card's PCIe port. I think it's PCIe X1 gen 2.

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
 of  7