Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and Bootcamp eGPU for Macs - new internal LCD acce...

Notifications
Clear all

Windows 10 Spring Update 1803 and Bootcamp eGPU for Macs - new internal LCD acceleration feature  

of  8
  RSS

omarsultan
(@omarsultan)

Hi:

I could use some advice as I am looking for a holiday gift for my son.  He has a 2020 16" MBP he uses to play games using Bootcamp and I was thinking of getting him an eGPU to improve video performance.  I have read all the helpful guides and build info here and a Razer Core X with an nVidia card seems like it should work.  The only question I have not really seen covered is that he typically plays using the internal laptop monitor, not an external screen.  Is that problematic?

Thanks

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
itsage
(@itsage)
Founder Admin

@omarsultan, Boot Camp eGPU and loopback acceleration to the internal display is not an easy setup to get going and maintained. However, going with an Nvidia card is a good choice. I would recommend using Windows 10 1903 V1 as the starting point.

LinkedIn | Youtube | Instagram

external graphics card builds
best laptops for external GPU
eGPU enclosure buyer's guide

2021 Gigabyte Z590i Vision D [11th,6C] + RTX 3060 Ti @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Gigabyte Gaming Box) + Win11 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
omarsultan
(@omarsultan)

@itsage, Thanks for the response 

To do: Create my signature with system and expected eGPU configuration information to give context to my posts. I have no builds.

ReplyQuote
(@dawgmad)

Sorry if this comment was already posted - if I have an external monitor connected to the eGPU connected by TB3 to my laptop, but my system (Windows 10) has the screen set up to “extend” - I.e. both screens can show separate things, and I can drag things from one screen to the other - how do I control which GPU is being activated for any given instance? I can boot up a game in one screen (windowed, not full screen) and slide it to the other screen… does the GPU used depend on which screen I start the application in (dGPU for laptop’s FHD, and eGPU for external monitor)?

for reference I’m running Windows 10 on an XPS 9500 2020 (dGPU is a GTX 1650 ti) connected to a GTX 770 in a Razer Core X.

thank in advance!

2020 15" Dell XPS 15 9500 (GTX1650Ti) [10th,8C,H] + GTX 770 @ 32Gbps-TB3 (Razer Core X) + Win10 [build link]  

ReplyQuote
Boltoway
(@boltoway)
Reputable Member Moderator

@dawgmad

The screen plugged into your eGPU will always be being rendered by the eGPU. Your internal display is most likely being rendered by your iGPU, but you can still use your eGPU to run programs that can be transitioned between them.

In the Icon Tray of your desktop, you should see a small square icon that will be Nvidia's external graphics program. This will display what application is being accelerated by any specific Nvidia GPU. 

Low intensity and applications that do not require hardware acceleration are usually run by the iGPU to save battery life, etc. You can use Windows Graphics Settings to mandate what GPU is to be used to run a specific application. 

TH3P4 Thunderbolt GPU Dock Review
TH3P4G2 Thunderbolt GPU Dock Review
Wikingoo Thunderbolt GPU Dock Review
DIY Portable Custom Water Cooled Thunderbolt 3 eGPU
Thunderbolt 4 Docks, eGPU Daisy Chaining and the One-Cable Dream
Windows 10 Solutions for eGPU BSOD, Crashing, System Freezing and Stuttering
Adding Advanced Power Management Options to Windows Laptops for Performance, Thermal Throttling & Power Management

2021 14" Lenovo Yoga Slim 7i Pro (MX450) [11th,4C,H] + GTX 1080 @ 32Gbps-TB4 (Wikingoo eGPU) + Win10 21H1 // Custom Loop Water Cooled eGPU [build link]  

itsage liked
ReplyQuote
TylerJaacks
(@tylerjaacks)

I have a Late 2019 MacBook Pro 16" with a dedicated 5500M 4GB GPU. I bought a Razer Core X and put an RX 570 8GB in it. I am running Windows 11 latest build. I am able to get Windows to recognize the GPU is installed and running but I am unable to use it in any program my only options are the dedicated one. Also I would like to be able to use the internal display as I don't have a monitor. Is this possible I haven't been able to get any guide to work for my configuration.

ReplyQuote
(@omer_turhan)

[Please login to see this]

ReplyQuote
 of  8